DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Draw your own conclusions:

MicMate

Scarborough, ON, MXL Microphones, the professional audio division of Marshall Electronics, is pleased to announce the introduction of their new MicMate Universal USB Microphone Interface. Designed as an incredibly easy-to-use tool that enables any dynamic or condenser microphone to be connected to a personal computer, the new MicMate opens up the world of recording to anyone with a desire to capture crystal clear, professional quality audio. This versatile, compact interface makes capturing audio for podcasts, adding dialog to presentations, recording live performances , and a host of similar applications as simple as connecting any other USB peripheral.

Working with the new MXL MicMate is a pleasure. As a plug and play device for both Windows and Macintosh, it requires no special drivers whatsoever. Simply connect the MicMate’s USB cable to a computer’s USB port, and installation is quick and effortless. The new MicMate is a USB 2.0 high-speed device that is backward compatible with USB 1.1. With a cylindrical form factor roughly equal in size to a Cuban cigar, the MXL MicMate’s operation couldn’t be more intuitive—and as for its performance, let’s just say it ‘smokes’ the competition.

The MXL MicMate is sonically transparent and adds no coloration to the sound of the attached microphone. The analog section of the new MicMate features a 20 Hz-20 kHz frequency response, and a 3-position, switchable attenuation pad with settings for Hi (0 dB), Medium (-5 dB), and Lo (-10 dB), making it easy to configure the attached microphone to virtually any sound source. The digital section features a 16-bit Delta Sigma A/D converter with a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. For use with condenser microphones, the MicMate supplies 48V Phantom power.

Wayne Freeman, MXL’s Director of Sales and Marketing, commented on the company’s new offering, “The new MXL MicMate Universal USB Microphone Interface makes interfacing both dynamic and condenser microphones into the desktop recording environment an effortless, completely seamless process. Now, amateurs and professionals alike have a plug and play solution for integrating high quality audio into a wide range of recording applications. I’m confident customers will be pleasantly surprised by its easy operation.”

The MXL MicMate Universal USB Microphone Interface carries an MSRP price of $99 and will be available in Q3 of 2007.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a lot for the bandwidth information (i.e. 20 Hz-20 kHz) of MicMate. I cannot find this on their website. Will definitely buy one and try.

·
Registered
639 Posts
So where would you plug the mic?:eek:
LOL.

Jorge
Bend over, I'll show ya. :eek:

LOL..... sorry, just being goofy. Hey Doitor, I just got a nice Canare 15' mic cable. It works so much better now not having that mic plugged directly into the micmate. It's much easier to move around and not stress the connections. Also I noticed that if you plug the mic directly into the mic-mate, you have to remove that metal ring to get the XLR connector to fully seat. Not the case with a real XLR mic cable.

I've got a little mic boom setup coming today (but no car to try any of this in). Oh the humanity.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hey guys, great info here. Would the Mic Mate work with the mic from the Alpine PXH-100EQ imprint kit? The mic has an 1/8" plug.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey guys, great info here. Would the Mic Mate work with the mic from the Alpine PXH-100EQ imprint kit? The mic has an 1/8" plug.
No.
The MicMate is to power "bigger" mics that need phantom power to operate.
You can plug that mic directly to the computer and it should work, but it would be better to have a "measurement mic" to get better results.
That's why the Behringer is used. It's "cheap" and works great.

Jorge.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks Jorge. I am sure I would need an external sound card then, as the sound chip in my laptop would probablt not be adequate. I think I read something about this here before but I cannot find it. What sort of sound card do you guys recommend?

BTW, I think it has been determined that the mic for the Alpine imprint kit is of relatively high quality, not sure though how it would compare to the Behringer.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
One of the advantages of the MicMate is that you plug the mic to the computer via USB, and that way you dont need and external soundcard.
If all goes well I will put the "$100 RTA" against a real one (Audiocontrol) and will post results here, to see how accurate it is.

Jorge.

·
Registered
639 Posts
One of the advantages of the MicMate is that you plug the mic to the computer via USB, and that way you dont need and external soundcard.
If all goes well I will put the "$100 RTA" against a real one (Audiocontrol) and will post results here, to see how accurate it is.

Jorge.
I'd love to see that if you get time to do it.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
David's gonna let you touch the audio control he got from Kevin? :)

P9? 701? is the jury out? :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
David's gonna let you touch the audio control he got from Kevin? :)

P9? 701? is the jury out? :)
Yes he is.:)
And also add a certain H900 to the list.:eek:
But don't spoil the surprise.
H701 vs H900 vs P9 thread also comming soon.

Jorge.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Cool. HOpe it proves to be ultra accurate, as I have one of the pieces arriving today, and the other piece arriving Monday to use for my $110 RTA setup, unless you count the cost of TruRTA with 1/3 or 1/6 octave.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
david got a sweet deal on that rta. kevin keeps his stuff in prestine condition and takes very good care of his stuff :)

Good luck Doiter :)

41 - 60 of 261 Posts