DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example i use a Focal KRX2 , 2 way component system , How do i know what sort of Amplifier to use so that it matches with my speakers , i dont speak in terms of RMS value since thats not hard to figure, but i speak in terms of class weather its A/B or D or whatever does this really matter. Also any specific recommendations based on PERSONAL experience.

P.S

Please when mentioning brands and model numbers please be SPECIFIC and detailed

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Class D amps seem to be more efficient then class a/b, but people claim that a/b amps sound better. what's your budget? From what i've read you will not notice a difference in sound quality when dealing with a modern class d amp.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
It doesnt matter whether you are choosing a class a/b or D as much as the build quality of the amp itself. Buy what you can afford and fit in your install and go from there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Class D amps seem to be more efficient then class a/b, but people claim that a/b amps sound better. what's your budget? From what i've read you will not notice a difference in sound quality when dealing with a modern class d amp.
I dont have a limited budget i could spend any amount. Could you recommend? ...currently i am using Alpine PDX-F4 , people have criticized alot negatively.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesnt matter whether you are choosing a class a/b or D as much as the build quality of the amp itself. Buy what you can afford and fit in your install and go from there.
I use an Alpine PDX-F4 , what do you think about this and what do you recommend?

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
How does it sound TO YOU? Are you competing? If you are not WHY do YOU care what THEY say? What people seem to forget is that it doesn't matter what anyone else says as long as it sounds good to you. They dont drive your car you do. They dont listen to it everyday, you do.

If you dont have a budget and are looking to make a change, try something like Tru Tech or Sinfoni. Mosconi AS series amps are monsters. McIntosh is always a GREAT choice as is Zapco.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it sound TO YOU? Are you competing? If you are not WHY do YOU care what THEY say? What people seem to forget is that it doesn't matter what anyone else says as long as it sounds good to you. They dont drive your car you do. They dont listen to it everyday, you do.

If you dont have a budget and are looking to make a change, try something like Tru Tech or Sinfoni. Mosconi AS series amps are monsters. McIntosh is always a GREAT choice as is Zapco.
Thanks for the advice you do make ALOT of sense. I truly appreciate . Mcintosh i hear as well is always a great choice

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can't recommend since I don't have exp. with many amps. I usually just stick around here and read. I've heard great things of the JL Audio HD600/4.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I agree with this.. i am running a zapco reference series for front stage and at the same time running the smallest and cheapest amplifier pioneer can offer for rears.. to me that pioneer works well for the rear.. no need to change it unless i shift the whole setup to a bigger one..
Your own EARS can only be the best judge for you..

·
Registered
44 Posts
i also think that as long as you are not competing or going for a certain "look" aesthetically, you really can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned in this thread + many more. speaker position and quality of the installation would likely make a bigger difference then the make of amplifiers. there are some SQ world champion cars running full range class D amps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hertz HDP 4 - 4 channel amp 150 x 4 rms 4 ohms

can be use in 4, 3, 2 channels

in 3 ch mode 150 x 2 rms + 500 rms for sub 4 ohms

in 2 ch mode 500 x 2 rms 4 ohms :)

and if you need to expand get the HDP 1 mono block for sub 1000w

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I made my choice by the power, efficiency, and size. The JL HD600/4 and 900/5 fit the bill.

They're tiny so they fit under my seats.

Class D so they use very little power. This is especially noticeable in the drastically longer run times with the engine off while playing the stereo.

Power, they put out a little more than rated power into a static load and it's rumored they put out considerably more into a reactive load.

As for sound quality, on these same Dyn speakers, I've run a $100 Interfire, a JL 6 channel ab amp, a McIntosh 430, and now the JL HD series. I couldn't tell a difference in SQ between the cheapest and most expensive. The only way I've heard one amp sound better than the other is the more powerful one usually has better dynamics which is why I'll always buy more power than I'll ever need.

Noise floor is pretty much non existent. I've maxed the gain out on the tweeters just to see if there was a hiss and unless the engine is off and you have your ear right next to the tweeter, it's silent. Even the Mac had a higher noise floor.

The only thing I have to mention at the risk of getting flamed is I could swear the top end of the class D has more of a sparkle to it. I'm sure it could be any number of things besides the fact that it's class D though but the HD series IMO are some of the best amps out there.

They've also survived a 105 degree summer without shutting down. I mounted one in the trunk for the first week and it was so hot, you could barely touch the amp before I even turned it on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts