DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to Mount Tweeters

Hello everybody. What can I use to mount my tweeters on my dash and have it look decent? I don't want to put them in the OEM location. I want to mount them near the vents, but I don't know how to do it. How did you guys mount your tweets on your dash?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm in the works of making up something to set my tweeters in that'll then rest on the dash. High density foam from the model shop recyle bin @school is great ;) However, with school being nuts, I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing so.

What I'm going to do just like my doors, to avoid fiberglass hassle and cost, is 1. shape the foam to size, and then 2. bondo over it to get a nice surface finish OR just skip the bono and upholster it with some stretch vinyl. Followed by something on the undersize that'll be grippy or something like that so they stay put.

Little bulbous tweeter pods might look a little silly up on the dash, but it's better then the naked tweeters I have sitting in hacked ABS clayed in place - and if theyre done pretty enough, noone will mind ;) I'd rather not chase down oem body panels to chop and glass.

That's just my method of doing things. If you want a more permanent or oem looking method - just glass into your a-pillars or sail covers or dash or whatever.

BTW - if I didn't have access to high density foam, I'd just buy a big sheet of pink or blue home insulation foam (like ~2-3" thick or so) from HD or Lowes, hack it into squares and then glue/stack them together to get the height you need - then shape that.

-aaron

·
Registered
524 Posts
ArcL100 said:
BTW - if I didn't have access to high density foam, I'd just buy a big sheet of pink or blue home insulation foam (like ~2-3" thick or so) from HD or Lowes, hack it into squares and then glue/stack them together to get the height you need - then shape that.
-aaron
Where did you get that foam? It would save my upcoming install lots-o-time!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Finleyville said:
Where did you get that foam? It would save my upcoming install lots-o-time!
Get what, high density foam? From the scrap bin of the wood/model shop at my college, lol. It's like, insanely expensive to buy on your own - like $50 a ft^3 or something. Just buy a huge sheet of the insulation foam from a hardware store for cheap and stack it/glue it - you can carve out the basic shape of something pretty easily. Then like I said, either lay some fabric seat foam down then vinyl, or for a painting surface bondo it.

-aaron

·
Registered
531 Posts
simon21 said:
Hello everybody. What can I use to mount my tweeters on my dash and have it look decent? I don't want to put them in the OEM location. I want to mount them near the vents, but I don't know how to do it. How did you guys mount your tweets on your dash?
what tweets are they? and did they come with a surface mount cup?

if so.....use that :)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I thought maybe the high-density foam might be just the thing for a simple dash install in my my old truck. WRONG! :(

Here is the quote I got for a small partial sheet from Freeman Supply:

1 075139 Ren Shape 450 2" - Partial Board - Â T-2" Â W-20" Â L-15" Â Bd. Ft.-4.17 $106.28 $106.28
Shipping Estimate: $12.00
Total Quote Price: $118.28

If anyone is interested, here are the two types of modeling foam I found:

http://www.generalplastics.com/prod...19&PHPSESSID=2587194bbeed1c36011f98117070e161
http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShapeModelingan.htm

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
cdj said:
I thought maybe the high-density foam might be just the thing for a simple dash install in my my old truck. WRONG! :(
I'm telling you...

Use this stuff:
http://www.theworkshop.ca/casting/foamcasting/foam_Sheet_webopt.jpg

It's like $20 for more then youd ever need. You cut pieces and stack them for the height you need. It's stil very workable stuff - you just have to bondo over once you get your basic shape. Stil cheaper and easier then glassing.

-aaron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys, it took me a while to get the pictures. Here they are. The first is a pic of the right side, the second one is of the left side with the president's motorcade passing in front. The foam seems like a good idea. Do you have any pictures of it? That might work for putting one on the dash, but I also want to put one a little higher on the pillar. I don't want to do any cutting, I just want to tape it there somehow. Any ideas how I could do it?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.