DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 0 gauge from under hood battery to rear distribution block (Konfused dist. block) splitting to 2 amps with 4 gauge. I'll be installing a third amp 300/2 to power my tweeters and i was wondering how i could go about powering it. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
4 gang distribution block...

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
A 300/2 is waaaaay overkill for tweeters, by the way. You'd only need like a 2x25w for that.
Skipped right over that... ZOINKS...

Although, back in the day I remember a comp system that had that HUGE PPI (250AM?) running tweeters?

Still, bit on the overkill side me thinks too.. :D

Then again most tweeters are 8ohm, which will half the power... with it turned down..ect.. should be ok..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping that their were something like a Y piece so i can connect it on one of the outputs of the dist. block that i currently have. Then use the Y peice to split a 4 gauge to my tweeter and mid driver amp. is their such a thing? I got the idea from what is used for RCA's.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The blocks aren't that expensive so what's the problem with just replacing it? And you won't find a power cable like that though it's technically not impossible to make.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just trying to stick what i have because the dist. block is in a tight space and having a 3/4 way out will probably not fit since the seat may squish it. I may have to just replace it and relocate it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You CAN use a 75 watt amp but I absolutely guarantee you that it's a waste to do so for anything other than pro audio speakers that use compression drivers with low crossover points and super high output.

BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1 - Look at the chart in section 1.3. Only around 15% is going to go to the tweeter in a typical 2-way setup. If you have 100w total, then that's 15w. If you have 200w total, that's 30w. You can get a bigger amp than that if you want, just that it will cost more, weigh more, and be easier to blow the tweeters both due to user error and if the amp malfunctions (though even a small amp can take out tweeters during a malfunction).

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
check Darvex, maybe they have something for you, or PartsExpress

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
In a similar situation, I used a stinger 0awg 'T'' and used a second distribution block.
To make sure everything is fused appropriately, you may have to relocate your blocks... If you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, great. Thanks for the replies. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would just get a new distribution block for your application. Better to have those spare ouputs just in case too. You never know when you're going to add a new component down the line that you weren't planning on before. Like Jcollin said, you could always add another distro block off one of your current lines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts