DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(My Dumb of the Day Question)

I have had problems with my stuff, so I want to eliminate things methodically.

I was thinking of setting up an old weak 12v batt, but continually fed AC juice from my Schumaker Smart charger, as a power source. i would then hook up my stuff to to the battery. Is this dumb? Or is this okay?

I would have to ground everything back to the batt neg term of course.

Also, I would not be fusing any of the wires themselves, but I would also not leave anything unattended. Hook it, check it, unhook it. Like that.

The equipment I primarily want to check is my MS-8, and this will allow me to check all my outputs, cables, interconnects, etc., including those of my 5-ch amp while using simple straight "visible" connections between everything as I go.

Thoughts and/or suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...anything I should look for in particular? Specs, features? Price?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Amperage rating! 25 minimum at 14.4 volts, this is alright for up to a 100x2 amp at low volumes. I would highly recommend a 75 amp model though. That will pretty much run a 1000 watt system.

Pricing, used, will be from $50 to $300 depending on features.

In a pinch your battery would work, but it will suck dry fast!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
If you are just testing the MS8 or make sure an amp works and makes noise i think 10-20A would be fine but if you are testing amplifiers and their output, look at +50A...price and features depend if you also want to trickle charge a batter, use car audio to power a garage system, run any other components of it on a regular basis etc

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are just testing the MS8 or make sure an amp works and makes noise i think 10-20A would be fine
^^^ this is all I want to do. The ms-8 and my amp. maybe future amps I pick up at garage sales, etc. not to crank them up loud, just to make sure that things power up, play, etc.

but if you are testing amplifiers and their output, look at +50A...price and features depend if you also want to trickle charge a batter, use car audio to power a garage system, run any other components of it on a regular basis etc
I dont want to do "testing" per se, more like "varifying"

...if you also want to trickle charge a batter(y)
I have a trickle charger (2v), and that Schumaker 2/8/12v smart charger. Could I just use the big battery charger AS a 12v power supply? Or am I way off thinking that would work? (that's kind of what I was getting at in the OP.)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Most battery chargers buzz like mad on audio equipment, some of the 1-2A auto chargers do not. It really depends on how much amp you want to use, a larger amp will require lots of power to play loud. You can test about anything on a automotive jumper pack, they are sealed batteries and have their own chargers, are safe inside a home far as vapors/etc., they are just a small sealed car battery.

I used an old boat battery for a while with a 1A auto charger on it, but not a good idea to charge them in a house. Later I scored an old 10A power supply cheap and it still works great, I would use the battery only for running an amp loud and the PS for everything else. After that I found a larger power supply then another (you can parallel them) and don't use a battery at all...which is really the proper way to do it.

So a battery is fine for testing things here and there, but I would not recommend it for inside a house or if you need to use it a lot. They will have a lot of reserve for testing larger amps but not for long. I could run up to maybe 500rms at most on the battery I had and voltage drop was too much, it was a 1K cca marine battery.

I can play all kinds of stuff on just my 10A PS, just can't turn it up loud or it cuts out. Its fine for anything other than cranking up amplifiers. It will run a 1Kw amp, just can't turn it up.

If you want to buy new on low fundage, the pyramid power supplies work fine though they might not be as durable long term as others. Lots of people use them with no problems and they are about the cheapest. I might not get one for daily use, but for testing here and there they are fine if they don't blow up.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so if I have a charger hooked o the battery, and the electronics powered off the battery/charger combo, I should be able to test small electronics no prob, amps to see if the work, but not to have a block party. Is that about right? ;)

As far as 12vps...you are talking about the ones inside tower computers right? Never really associated that with AC to 12v conversion. Hmm. What are the ps ratings inside most desktops? And I guess you just rig up some terminal screws from the output side to connect stuff easily? That sounds like fun even if I never used the damn thing. Maybe I should scan craigslist real quick! Lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(I can get a Dell NPS-250KB power supply off Craigslist for $8 asking price, 4 available)

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Look for a Cascade or Iota 75A power supply on eBay. I got mine for $125 (great price).

Without spending money, you can charge the battery overnight with a 1A trickle charger, disconnect it, and run your equipment off the battery only. The battery should last long enough this way to do what you need to do, and longer. I wouldn't run an amp with the trickle charger attached because then you're showing it more load than it's meant for, and it could overheat.

When I had this type of setup, I had a switch controlling a relay that would either have the battery charging or the system on, but not both.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You can use the PC PS, but they are only 12v not 13.5v/13.8v/etc that real 12v PS are....if that matters to you. I used a 1A auto charger/maintainer at 1A while I tested and it didn't care. It could be run at 2A also. A battery works fine but only 12v, most battery chargers buzz as they have no noise filters in them. A PC PS does not as the PC must have clean power. See the AC power must be rectified to make DC 12v, that makes noise you are cutting the waves off, have to use capacitors to smooth it out and most battery chargers do not have them some don't even regulate voltage that well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts