DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JVC KD-SH1000 has not come in yet but I've been reading the manual and am a bit confused how to crossover a 3 way + sub, when there are only 3 preouts for Front, Rear, and Sub.

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/91/GET0364-001A.pdf

Here's my setup and what I wish to accomplish using my HU's XO and (3) US Acoustics amps.

Seas Neos - HP'd at 4K
Aura Whispers - bandpass 500Hz to 4K
Peerless SLS 6.5 - bandpass 63Hz to 500
15" IDQ - LP at 63Hz.

Head Unit's XO
Front HPF - 1.6kHz to 16.0kHz
Rear LPF - 1.6kHz to 16.0kHz
Rear HPF - 31.5Hz to 200Hz

Amps' XO
HP 12-200 Hz or LP 40-200 Hz.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
For the midrange and midbass you are going to have to use the rear HU output spilt to the amps and use the amps to bandpass them HP on the midrange and LP on the midbass. This configuration really limits you

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
with what you got, you will need an additional 2way crossover.

Head unit:
HPF front 4k for seas neos
LPF rear 4k for top of aura whispers
HPF rear 63 for bottom of sls 6.5
LPF sub 63 for IDQ

outboard xover (audio controls 24xs is nice)

500 hz for aura bottom and sls top

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with what you got, you will need an additional 2way crossover.

Head unit:
HPF front 4k for seas neos
LPF rear 4k for top of aura whispers
HPF rear 63 for bottom of sls 6.5
LPF sub 63 for IDQ

outboard xover (audio controls 24xs is nice)

500 hz for aura bottom and sls top
Hey minbari, when I read your post, my mind counts 4 RCA cables when I know I only have 3 preouts.
1) HPF front 4k for seas neos
2) LPF rear 4k for top of aura whispers
3) HPF rear 63 for bottom of sls 6.5
4) LPF sub 63 for IDQ (I don't see a Sub LPF at 63 in the manual but I know that's not right???)

I copied this from the manual's PDF and am still a bit confused. I know I'm supposed to split my RCA somewhere like azngotskills suggested but I'm a dumbass.

Head Unit's XO

Are these my 3 preouts that are typically labeled Front, Rear, and Sub? I guess I am confused how I am physically wiring my RCAs to the Headunit.

1) Front HPF - HP at 4K to my Neos (got it)
2) Rear LPF - Shouldn't I split my RCA here for my Sub and midbass here since it's the only LP??? I can LP at 500 on the headunit and HP the amp at 63 for the midbass, and then LP again at 63 for my sub. I know, this doesn't sound right.
3) Rear HPF - HP at 500K for Aura Whisper

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
sometimes a picture is just easier. I dont know how many amplifiers you have, but you get the idea.

set front HPF to 4k
rear LFP to 4k
rear HFP to 63
sub to LPF to 63

2-way xs to 500 ( you might not need the 2way xs if you have a xover on the amplifers that you can use instead, but it would have to be able to cross at 500hz)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ohh.. I think I finally got it. When running active, the "Rear LPF" and "Rear HPF" are configuring the same Rear preout to bandpass them--duh! Therefore, you're suggesting to bandpass 63K to 4K. If this is the case, then I just need to buy an amp that has a capability to HP and LP at 500. Can I take off my dunce hat now?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol, you got it now. and yes, if your amplifier will not HPF or LPF at 500, then you will need to buy an outboard 2way xs..

I looked at the manual you posted and it will do a LPF on the sub RCA as well. varible from 31-200 hz. so your setpoint of 63hz could be done.

·
Banned
81 Posts
I run a 9855 alpine, and have used the tweeter output to run my midranges and tweeters with both passives and one amp, and an outboard 2 way crossover and channel-per-driver amplification. My tweeters and midranges have similar pathlength differences (<2"), so this lets me still use my time alignment.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was sorta stuck on this topic aswell. great info.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Anyone ever use those FMOD RCA xovers? Do they really work?
ya, they really do work. I just wish they made more slopes and freqs. they only have 12dB/oct. really cool idea that never really caught on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After reading this FMOD ebay ad, it actually says you can combine the RCAs to create a bandpass. I'm probably going to go this route since it's the cheapest and allows me to keep my same amps.

CROSSOVER Harrison Labs FMOD PAIR (2) NEW! | eBay

Hlabs New FMOD (trademark and design owned by Harrison Labs Inc) Low Pass Pair (blocks high frequencies) at 12db/octave (rate of roll- off). installs @ amplifier inputs. Visit Crossovers and FMOD and ATTENUATORS for more information. High end audiophile quality at a bargain price! Values: 20HZ (high pass only), 30HZ (high pass only), 50HZ, 70HZ, 100HZ, 150HZ, 200HZ, 300HZ (high pass only), 500HZ, 1000HZ, 2500HZ, 3500HZ, 6500HZ - PLEASE SPECIFY ONE VALUE AND STATE HIGH PASS OR LOW PASS WHEN ORDERING. Values are color coded. Low and HIgh pass may be combined to form bandpass (IE mid-bass, mid-range) or band stop. Requires no power. RCA connections. Made In USA! See our other items! Also we have a complete line of crossovers, attenuators, amplifiers, capacitors, and instrumentation such as voltmeters, ammeters, hz meters, current shunts, pyrometers, speaker box design products. Quantity Pricing Available. If you live outside the USA and wish to place an order you must order from our store at http:\\store.hlabs.com
Harrison Labs Inc
P.O. Box 1359
Parker, CO 80134

1 - 13 of 13 Posts