DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m pretty new to audio install and am upgrading my system. I currently have a 2 JL 10w1s that I’m upgrading to sundown sa10 classics. I currently have a skar rp1200.1 that I will be keeping until I can upgrade my electrical and then run a bigger amp. I have an o scope and dmm and when finding max gain before clipping on amp on 50hz tone I got 52 ac volts. This just had me confused as wouldn’t that be over 2500w? So I guess I’m just wondering how to max out the power from my amplifier to feed these sundowns until I can upgrade.

· Registered
4,298 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense.. no resistance makes it easier for amp to produce power is what you’re saying right? So then how does a tool like a dd1 not destroy amps? I haven’t ever used one but I was always under the impression that you use it with no load and turn your gain til the distortion light comes on. Same as what I did with an o scope.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Makes sense.. no resistance makes it easier for amp to produce power is what you’re saying right? So then how does a tool like a dd1 not destroy amps? I haven’t ever used one but I was always under the impression that you use it with no load and turn your gain til the distortion light comes on. Same as what I did with an o scope.
If you've got no load you tune to the target voltage, not clipping. In order to tune to clipping for your ohm load, that load needs to be connected.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you've got no load you tune to the target voltage, not clipping. In order to tune to clipping for your ohm load, that load needs to be connected.
Awesome thanks for clearing that up! So really the best way to make sure I’m getting the most from my amp would be to hook subs up, run the test tone, and then use o scope to set gain to max before clipping?

· Registered
730 Posts
you can use large 4 ohm resistor to load the amp outputs, but only run those test tones for short amount of time, like 1-2 seconds at a time. then give the amp/load resistor a break. you will be generating a lot of heat. if you are using a scope you can trigger with "single" positive 20V trigger (or something like that) to capture the output, during the 1-2 second time.

also if you do this type of thing, you need nice power supply that can source maybe roughly 100A.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.