DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, made a lil visit to my local Home Depot and Lowes to check out some wood for an sealed enclosure that I plan to make. After doing some reading, I decided on going with birch instead of MDF since birch is known to be a bit lighter. I was checking out the birch wood, and didn't see anything stating an amount of ply's the sheet has. I did notice that there were some sheets that had 10, 5, and 7 ridges on the side, but not very sure if that's a way to determine how many "ply's" the sheet has. If I remember correctly, I should be looking for a sheet that has atleast 13 ply's. I tried doing a search, but didn't come across anything relating to my question. Is the aurauco stuff at Lowes birch? feedback would be great, Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just look at the side of the cross section of the 4X8 sheet and count the ply's. Typically the stuff Home Depot and Lowes carries will be in the 7 to 11 ply range. If you want more ply's than that you'll have to contact a cabinet shop. If I remember correctly, a 3/4"X4'X8" sheet of 13ply baltic birch will be around $80.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just look at the side of the cross section of the 4X8 sheet and count the ply's. Typically the stuff Home Depot and Lowes carries will be in the 7 to 11 ply range. If you want more ply's than that you'll have to contact a cabinet shop. If I remember correctly, a 3/4"X4'X8" sheet of 13ply baltic birch will be around $80.

Trevor

I figured that was how to determine how many ply's a sheet has. I'll have to call other lumber shops since my local one doesn't carry anything higher then 10 ply. I was aiming for 13 ply, is there a big differance from 10 to 13 ply? not being able to find this birch wood makes me want to just go with MDF, but i'm trying to avoid a heavy enclosure. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Typically the more ply's the wood has the more dimensionally stable the wood is, meaning that it would be less likely to warp. It also usually has less internal voids than the lower ply wood. These properties are important for cabinet making....but not really for box building.

I've always used MDF for my boxes, it's easy to find, cheap, easy to cut, uniformly flat and is easy to paint or carpet.

3/4" ply may be a little lighter than 3/4" mdf, but i don't think by much...atleast not enough to offset the higher cost of the ply.

If you are really concearned about weight you may want to look into fiberglassing a enclosure. Materails will be more expensive, but it will be lighter than plywood or mdf.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typically the more ply's the wood has the more dimensionally stable the wood is, meaning that it would be less likely to warp. It also usually has less internal voids than the lower ply wood. These properties are important for cabinet making....but not really for box building.

I've always used MDF for my boxes, it's easy to find, cheap, easy to cut, uniformly flat and is easy to paint or carpet.

3/4" ply may be a little lighter than 3/4" mdf, but i don't think by much...atleast not enough to offset the higher cost of the ply.

If you are really concearned about weight you may want to look into fiberglassing a enclosure. Materails will be more expensive, but it will be lighter than plywood or mdf.

Trevor

I'm not quite sure if i'm understanding correctly, so voids on the internal side of he birch sheet don't affect anything on a subwoofer enclosure?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Most all the stuff at the big box store will be the lowest grade.
MDF there is questionable also.
I think there three or four grades of MDF

You need to find a better source.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there is a lumber yard near me, but I don't really know what i'm looking at as far as differences. If I ask the people, more then likely they'll tell me, "it's good stuff" I was tempted to buy the Aurouco stuff at lowes, but it doesn't seem to be 3/4" I've seen some people use this stuff on the board though...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took the plunge on some 3/4 MDf. I feel like i was putting too much thought on this enclosure and birch wasn't easily accessible in my area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done some woodworking and there is no magic 13 ply. Nice plywood is flat and has thicker veneers on the outside and fewer or no voids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts