DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any good way to train one's ear? Is this something that just comes from experiance or is there a "way to get started"? Having done the whole SPL competitions years ago, I'm very familiar with 250hz and below and can litterally "name that tone", but anything above 500hz I have no clue really. I find myself guessing at what frequency's to adjust on my EQ and they are always way off:(

Any advice?

·
Registered
675 Posts
well if you are just wanting to train your ears to know what be able to identify frequencies...

Simple Feedback Trainer [audiojunkies]

basically plays tones and you guess on the 31band eq what it is..it keeps tracks of how many guesses and how long it take to do it... do it long enough and your ears will just start to know whats what... but thats just for training your ears on freq identification.,

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if you are just wanting to train your ears to know what be able to identify frequencies...

Simple Feedback Trainer [audiojunkies]

basically plays tones and you guess on the 31band eq what it is..it keeps tracks of how many guesses and how long it take to do it... do it long enough and your ears will just start to know whats what... but thats just for training your ears on freq identification.,
That will def. help, thanks!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a list or something out there that has what instuments or vocals make what frequency? I understand about octaves and harmonics so I understand a female singers voice doesn't just make a tone at 3Khz but I once saw a list that had stuff like what frequency a bass guitar makes, kick drums, male and female voices, etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is there a list or something out there that has what instuments or vocals make what frequency? I understand about octaves and harmonics so I understand a female singers voice doesn't just make a tone at 3Khz but I once saw a list that had stuff like what frequency a bass guitar makes, kick drums, male and female voices, etc.
Something like this?

Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Another thing that helps out is this.

Just set-up a 2 channel rec./CD plus sub set-up, sit you a chair dead center about 4-6ft back. Play music that you know really well and just listen then try to recreate it in the car.

Got this ^^^^ from Mark E. at the last DFW G2G and has helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^ +10,000 find a trusted reference audio system or BETTER yet, go attend <gasp!> live musical performances in great venues & listen!

You ahve the added benefit of being in Houston... lots of mobile & home audio buffs in H-town... look for a local club/group who does monthly listening sessions.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts