DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new processor, so I decided to do some videos and hopefully help some people out that are first time DSP users, and maybe clear some things up on getting it set. Obviously there's a million and 3 ways to get to the end result, this is just what I have found to work for me. The last 2 videos are being uploaded right now, but the first 10 are up.

If there's any other things you guys want me to cover, or would like to see, just let me know.

This is the first 10, the last 2 are being uploaded now, then I will likely do more about sound and acoustic theory if people are interested.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice job Spyders! There are not many videos around the net about tuning with REW and a DSP so this should help people get a much better understanding and to not be nervous about venturing into the world of DSP.

Like you said, there are a thousand ways of tuning but if I could offer a suggestion. A possibly faster and more precise method for PEQ'ing drivers may be achieved by using measuring sweeps and placement of the mic as outlined by Hanatsu in his thread http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/2097925-post16.html.

After you take your measurements and average them, you can then use REW's EQ feature to match to a target response. This will give precise values in both frequency and Q that you can enter into the DSP software without having to flip back and fourth and work certain frequencies with trial and error Q's. Your experience shines here but for someone new, sweeps and matching to target could provide better results.

Also, crossovers. Your experience shines here again but if you could throw up a video of overlapping SPL graphs of average responses of individual speakers, it would show the audible crossover and take some guess work out of people trying to figure out the best crossover points. There are a thousand posts on this forum about "Where should I set my crossovers" and I am sure I probably made a few of them! ;) but with using REW, it will tell you. There is finesse after that but it is the best starting point one could get.

Once again, nice job and thank you for taking the time to show this to people. Since I started using a DSP and REW and I cannot tell people enough to jump into this world, the results are worth it.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice job Spyders! There are not many videos around the net about tuning with REW and a DSP so this should help people get a much better understanding and to not be nervous about venturing into the world of DSP.

Like you said, there are a thousand ways of tuning but if I could offer a suggestion. A possibly faster and more precise method for PEQ'ing drivers may be achieved by using measuring sweeps and placement of the mic as outlined by Hanatsu in his thread http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/2097925-post16.html.

After you take your measurements and average them, you can then use REW's EQ feature to match to a target response. This will give precise values in both frequency and Q that you can enter into the DSP software without having to flip back and fourth and work certain frequencies with trial and error Q's. Your experience shines here but for someone new, sweeps and matching to target could provide better results.

Also, crossovers. Your experience shines here again but if you could throw up a video of overlapping SPL graphs of average responses of individual speakers, it would show the audible crossover and take some guess work out of people trying to figure out the best crossover points. There are a thousand posts on this forum about "Where should I set my crossovers" and I am sure I probably made a few of them! ;) but with using REW, it will tell you. There is finesse after that but it is the best starting point one could get.

Once again, nice job and thank you for taking the time to show this to people. Since I started using a DSP and REW and I cannot tell people enough to jump into this world, the results are worth it.
Thanks for the good advice, and I will likely do future videos on using sweeps, but figured this is an easier way to get started, since you can play pink noise off of a CD, and not have to worry about input and output and everything. And I talk some more about crossovers in the part 7 and 8, when we get into EQ'ing each driver. I will likely do more videos talking about such things, and actually have a game plan on actually showing the effects of such adjustments, and over-underlapping. Thanks again for the positive feedback, and I will try and work on your suggestions also.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Have not watched yet but I definitely will be. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
figured this is an easier way to get started, since you can play pink noise off of a CD, and not have to worry about input and output and everything.
I sometimes forget how easy I have it. The HU in my truck has a 3.5mm jack so it's just a plug from there to the laptop. Had it been some other vehicles I've had, this makes sense.

I talk some more about crossovers in the part 7 and 8, when we get into EQ'ing each driver. I will likely do more videos talking about such things, and actually have a game plan on actually showing the effects of such adjustments, and over-underlapping.
Nice! Can't wait to see that. I recently played with overlapping heavily with mixed results. I'd like to see someone else's approach and opinions.

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job on the videos Kyle. Had a question on video 5 on the Tracerite software. You mentioned if you are using a Pioneer HU, to select that option when calculating the TA. If you have a Pioneer HU but are doing the TA, xover and eq in the Helix does that still hold true?
No, because you are using the helix for time alignment

·
Registered
889 Posts
When using the RTA. What bit rate and sampling should be used? 16 bit, 24 bit, 48k or 44.1k sampling. I notice you have it setup as 16 bit @ 44.1k sampling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very handy, especially for new users. Thank you for the time vested and the way you try to make every person understand. This is a handy go-to for any standalone DSP, or HU with DSP user.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great feedback guys. If there's anything you want me to do videos on in the future, please let me know.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Had a binge watching session this evening, great info! Definitely gave me some ideas to try.

Curious if you will upload the CD with 31 band pink noise you mentioned in the last vid. Would be great! :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts