DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Was introduced to this forum recently as I have been looking to go active 3-way. As the title says I wanted to know what you guys think of this setup.

-CDT EF 8's for midbass
-Dayton 5" RS for midrange
-LPG 25NFA Tweets

Anybody running anything similar to this? Amps have not been decided, but I might look into all DEI from IKESOUND.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crossing the RS150 to the LPG tweet might be a bit tough. I can't remember off the top of my head where the RS150's breakup starts, but typically guys aren't crossing that mid much higher than 2k, maybe 2500 if you run a real steep slope, but neither of those is likely to be high enough to keep that LPG happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i hadn't heard that yet, I had just heard about how wonderful Dayton's are. I was beginning to think they were thought of as the second coming of Christ. I would ideally be looking for a 4 inch mid, but seeing as the RS line doesnt have one, what would you suggest? Would one of the LPG 2" domes work for me?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I would think crossing an aluminum woofer to a dome midrange might be tricky. You're talking about two very different sounds, and getting a natural sound around the crossover frequency might be impossible.

If you can fit a large format tweeter, that would be the way to go. Then you can get something robust like the Dayton RS28 or a Seas 27TDFC and cross it around 2k. If you need a smaller format tweeter, perhaps the Alpine/Scan Speak 9404/6000 will do the job for you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
that 5inch mid would be difficult to implement in kicks.. the diameter is like 6inchs if i remember correctly and they're deep as a mofo. You can de-bucket them but you run th e risk of damaging them. I'll stick with the Ef8's as dedicated midbass. I wouldn't pay more than 150 a pair though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course I'm stickin with the EF-8's for midbass. I got em for 115. I am looking for a mid since I want to run 3-way. The guy above said the Dayton RS 5 might have trouble gettin high enough to keep the LPG happy, so I'm looking for a 4" or something that can get up there and also play low enough so that the EF-8'S dont have to struggle. And I'm trying to do it relatively cheap, which is why Dayton looked impressive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.