DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

How would you fabricate a custom speaker grille for this location?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cmahood 
#1 ·
This is the stock speaker grill in an 07 Dodge Ram quad cab.

I think the stock grille is muffling mid range. How would you go about fabricating a custom grille for this?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would router out the grille that is there, make a jig of the shape of the hole, and make pressed grilles that load in from the back out of your choice of mesh. They will look like factory, only better, and should only take you a few hours..

#4 ·
I was with you on the first part; planning to use a jig saw / file to remove the stock grille material.

If I understand what you are saying, make a wood block in the shape of the trapezoid stock grille, then use a metal mesh and press it (form it) around the block. Then when inserted in the stock location from behind, it will protrude a little bit forward of the hole, thus hiding the edges of the panel where the cuts were made.

Is that the idea?

If so, its a really good one. I was really wondering how I would make it look clean.

#8 ·
Since it seems like you have got this down, can you please take photos of the process as you do it and post them as an extension of this thread. I would love to see this and do this, but I am hesitant to do permanent mods to my car without being completely sure of what im doing, before I begin.
This may not happen until spring when it is again warm outside.

#3 ·
only thing I would do different is make the grills load from the front covered in grill cloth. if you need em to stick a little better, get some neo magnets to make em stay in.

#5 ·
Id look at the grill itself and see how much of it actually open. many Factory grills look open but there is plastic behind it. If there is, Id remove the plastic either br using a small drill bit and drilling it out or sometimes u can use a dremel to grind it down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.