DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an inwall speaker that was cut due to an odd install in a customer's home. Could fiberglass be used to rebuild the missing corner? Or a filler/glass combo? I'll have to paint them after the repair, should I sand off the texture on the remaining speaker frame to match the repaired area? Thanks.

<br>

<br>

·
Registered
96 Posts
FG would work. It would require some trimming, plenty of sanding, and I would sand the rest of the speaker smooth to match- unless you can apply a texture coat to the FG that matches the rest of the speaker.

The previous suggestion of ABS plastic would certainly work as well.

Perhaps someone can comment on the ease/difficulty of plastic welding...

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
what about just replacing the baffle with new ones?

i am sure FG could do it, but looking at the angles and thickness changes, that would be tough to get right.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glue some abs or other plastic to it. bondo. paint. done.
What type of plastic are these things usually made from? Where would I get ABS of similar thickness? What would be the best glue to use for this?

Perhaps someone can comment on the ease/difficulty of plastic welding...
I'm hesitant to try the ABS route as I have never worked with it before. Considering the angles involved, and the jagged, far from straight edges where the cut/break was made it almost seems as a filler of some sort would be easier.

I am curious though, when plastic welding, does it incorporate heat 2 melt the 2 pieces together? Or is it a chemical of some sort that bonds the plastic together?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plastic welding is ok, but plastic glue works fine too. welding isn't that easy.
Yeah, considering I've never tried plastic welding I wasn't sure if I'd go that route. What specific glue would you recommend for this? Where would I ger the actual ABS?

what about just replacing the baffle with new ones?

i am sure FG could do it, but looking at the angles and thickness changes, that would be tough to get right.
The company that made these is no longer around. It had a short life in the late nineties, and while they made some excellent products they did not manage to stay alive. New baffles are not available, but I guess finding a replacement and modifying it could work. Do you know of any places that sell blank in wall baffles, affordable ones? I think I remember partsexpress having some, not sure if they still do.

I think filler/glass combo would be the easiest as far as getting it adhered and shaped right, but I'm afraid of it possibly cracking. There is very, very limited space for any reinfocement behind the repair, as it has to sit flush on the wall. The thinnest, outer most edge is about 1/8 to 3/16, but with the angle of the baffle, I'd have the 1/8 to 3/16 plus about 1/4 inch of thickness for some sort of backing.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i'd try making it with duraglass first. tape off the back to give you a base and fill in the corner shaping as necessary. sand, sand and sand some more until it matches the contours of the face. paint as needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts