DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite new at this, so please excuse my ignorance. I have tried to search the world wide web for magical answers but I'm afraid I've failed.
I have a 1999 Toyota 4runner. I simply want a better sounding system - not awesome, just better. I also don't want to spend $$ for an install, and I kind of want to do some hands on learning along the way.

I bought a new Pioneer HU, Energy Coaxial speakers, and an MTX terminator sub that came with an amp (1 channel).

I only want to replace 2 front speakers (original system has 6).

Visions guy told me to run all the speakers (6) through the factory amp - simply replace the 2. Everywhere I've looked online say to bypass the factory amp because new HU usually have more power.

Do I use the factory amp?

For the sub/amp install, how would I go from the HU to the amp to only power the sub?

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am quite new at this, so please excuse my ignorance. I have tried to search the world wide web for magical answers but I'm afraid I've failed.
I have a 1999 Toyota 4runner. I simply want a better sounding system - not awesome, just better. I also don't want to spend $$ for an install, and I kind of want to do some hands on learning along the way.

I bought a new Pioneer HU, Energy Coaxial speakers, and an MTX terminator sub that came with an amp (1 channel).

I only want to replace 2 front speakers (original system has 6).

Visions guy told me to run all the speakers (6) through the factory amp - simply replace the 2. Everywhere I've looked online say to bypass the factory amp because new HU usually have more power.

Do I use the factory amp?

For the sub/amp install, how would I go from the HU to the amp to only power the sub?

Thanks!
I would power all but your new speakers off the factory amp. Power the new ones with the head unit.

For the sub, you should have an RCA out. Run the RCA's to the amp, and connect the sub speaker wire to the amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much!
I was originally going to do that but Visions guy told me put all the speakers on one unit. And that if I split them up it will "confuse" the system.
But it really does make sense to do that.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks so much!
I was originally going to do that but Visions guy told me put all the speakers on one unit. And that if I split them up it will "confuse" the system.
But it really does make sense to do that.
Thanks again.
It's not the best solution by any means....... It's just that would rather hear the speakers I just bought as opposed to the factory ones. There's a chance it will be louder than the factory stuff, more bass, more clear, etc, but I doubt there will really be a difference regardless of how you do it. Youll notice a large difference when you buy an amp to power the speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts