DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought this was a thread to review the clarus c51-2. why do we need the beef about the the set thats above this range/pricepoint? if this set performs well at this market price so be it. who cares if the poster likes it more than his dynaudio set. its just opinion!!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
C'MON dude. Having an opinion that differs from SQ judges is pretty far from equivalent to slapping them in the face.
You totally misunderstood what I said. I didn't say that Dave having a different opinion was a slap in the face to SQ judges. He listened to one vehicle and had a flippant attitude about their worth claiming that they are nothing but "hype". My point is that "hype" isn't enough to win competitions unless the SQ judge wasn't doing his job. I refuse to believe that they are crooked enough to conduct themselves in that manner - that's my point. Please don't extrapolate what I said for the sake of argument. Don't worry, my feelings certainly aren't hurt. :cool:

EDIT: Now that I've read Tn_Audiophile's final comments, I will also leave this thread. Sorry to have "chimed in". P.S. Tn, thanks for the review. I've never heard the Clarus comps and I found your insight helpful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was gonna try and bring this thread back back from the dead. Has anyone here been able to listen to the clarus componet combo using passive crossovers and listened to the spx 17pros as well. does anyone have an opinion to how these these sets compare. i have the 17pros, not installed yet. But I would love to listen to a set of HAT's. They are making a great name for themselves. Just curious as to what the best sub $500 comp sets are.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I recently got to listen to a Legatia set. I find it necessary to audition anything that receives attention, especially when it's being compared to the likes of Dyn.

My personal opinion is that Hybrid's stuff trys to act more high end than it actually performs. Especially for the price tag.

There was some distortion, especially when the speakers were pushed a bit. Overall clarity was a bit clouded, among other things. It lacked dynamism, and impact. Basically, the things you look for or expect in a high end set.

Then again, they were stacked up against a Dyn car Esotec 362, a DLS 8.3i car, and a Rainbow car Cal28 tweet and 6.5 kick, not exactly easy competition. Installs varied from kicks to A-pillars, but either way, I wouldn't place the Legatia's even close to these cars, in any regard.

I would be as bold to say the Hybrid equipment fell on it's face. Especially next to Dyn equipment.

The Legatia drivers remind me more of Vifa drivers. I'd personally do a DIY build with ScanSpeak or the alike to save some coin, and yield similar or better results.

Let your ears be the judge. Luckily for me, I am able to do A/B comparisions using high end gear, which gives a more accurate experience.
Dave, your story is more about comparing 4 cars than comparing speakers.

You know that the install and tuning have great impact in the result.
What you discribe looks, "sounds", like a midrange crossed too low and perhaps other than optimum gain settings...

The L831 set, well tuned, is capable of great sound, world class.
The other sets too.:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was gonna try and bring this thread back back from the dead. Has anyone here been able to listen to the clarus componet combo using passive crossovers and listened to the spx 17pros as well. does anyone have an opinion to how these these sets compare. i have the 17pros, not installed yet. But I would love to listen to a set of HAT's. They are making a great name for themselves. Just curious as to what the best sub $500 comp sets are.
I spent a day auditioning both the C61-2 (w/ passive xo) and L6s in my car. The clarus sounded great and played low but not near as good as the Legatias, they just have that extra umph in my opinion. Also, if you go the Legatia route HAT recommends you go active. I am getting the L6s and using my current tweeters while I save for the L1 pros.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I listened to the Clarus 6.5 set at a local dealer who was thinkng about carrying the line. This dealer sells Morel and Hertz Audison products. The Clarus sound good but not great IMO. The were demoed along side the Morel Dotech and Hertz XL. I personally prefer the sound of Morel but will probably opt for the less expensive Hertz brand.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I recently got to listen to a Legatia set. I find it necessary to audition anything that receives attention, especially when it's being compared to the likes of Dyn.

My personal opinion is that Hybrid's stuff trys to act more high end than it actually performs. Especially for the price tag.

There was some distortion, especially when the speakers were pushed a bit. Overall clarity was a bit clouded, among other things. It lacked dynamism, and impact. Basically, the things you look for or expect in a high end set.

Then again, they were stacked up against a Dyn car Esotec 362, a DLS 8.3i car, and a Rainbow car Cal28 tweet and 6.5 kick, not exactly easy competition. Installs varied from kicks to A-pillars, but either way, I wouldn't place the Legatia's even close to these cars, in any regard.

I would be as bold to say the Hybrid equipment fell on it's face. Especially next to Dyn equipment.

The Legatia drivers remind me more of Vifa drivers. I'd personally do a DIY build with ScanSpeak or the alike to save some coin, and yield similar or better results.

Let your ears be the judge. Luckily for me, I am able to do A/B comparisions using high end gear, which gives a more accurate experience.
Heard and auditioned the dyn esotec 242 before upgrading to the polk sr-6500. And....

1. The dyns have the best mid driver I have ever heard. Up in the scan territory and perhaps beyond. Paciest, punchiest, not boomy at all.
2. the dyn tweets are comatose. It reminds me of this movie with an A+ star cast and a c- script. Circa 1998 'Sphere'. There a huge build up and since at the end the makers cant piece together the wow moments, they take the cop out way. 'Lets hold hands and forget". What a let down. Kinda like the dyns.

Above post with appologies to all the dyn fans.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for your opinions guys. maybe i'll try a set of dyn mids with my spx pro tweets as my first active set...one day I'll get there. As of now it seems that I'm just collecting audio gear and have no time to have it installed. I see wht there is no shortage of items here in the classified section. Car audio is ADDICTIVE...and expensive:evilgrin:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used a set of Clarus C61-2's - on axis in the kicks with the passive xover (mid & tweet together). Build quality was very impressive, and the customer service was world class (regardless of industry), but I did not like the way the drivers sounded. Mid bass was a bit too much, tweeter was...ok, but I found the midrange very muddy, lacking any detail and clarity. I have listened to a set of SPX Pro's, and would say the midrange and tweeter were much better, but lacked the midbass and output of the Clarus. Overall, I would go the Alpine's. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hate to stir this up again, but was interested to see if anyone had any further comments on off-Axis response. Considering these but off-axis response is a must for this install...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Man, the last time I was this hyped to redo my system was when Morel Israel came back into the U.S. That was the last time that a set of speakers made me just sit there and say wow! I recently had an opportunity to sit in Bob Morrow's truck and wowed by the Hybrid Audio gear. I can't wait to redo my set and see what I can make it do!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts