DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For test setup, procedures, and information on how the data was obtained see sticky here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/product-reviews-erin-harrdison-bikinpunk/103414-driver-testing-methods-setup-frequency-response-harmonic-distortion-only.html
Do not ask setup questions in this thread. This thread is only for driver discussion.

To understand how to read the data, try here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/product-reviews-erin-harrdison-bikinpunk/103817-how-read-frequency-response-harmonic-distortion-plots.html

Note: Someone on ebay decided to use my pictures so to teach them a lesson, I changed my photos. I'll fix this soon and post the real data back up soon.

Driver Tested:
Hybrid Audio L3SE

Impedance and T/S Parameters:

Frequency Response at 0 degrees, 3dB scale:

Frequency Response at 0, 15, 30, and 60 degrees, 5dB scale:

Harmonic Distortion at 89dB:

Harmonic Distortion at 92dB:

·
Registered
510 Posts
what happened about this:

Erin, won't you be testing drivers and providing objective and impartial analysis for DIYMA sometime soon? I suddenly feel the urge to request that no HAT drivers be tested on this forum. E-mail me if you wish to discuss.
from this thread?
i trust you worked something out then?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
HD performance looks pretty darn good (I'd love to see this one at 96db so I could compare it with tests from another well respected site ;) I know, I know, no fair compairing against other tests but it would be quite informative). FR is not bad especially if you consider this is going into a car where the environment is going to play large havoc on FR anyway.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Thanks.

Blatant product plug time. LOL Please note Zmax, Le, and especially Fs. :) Not to mention very low distortion and response from resonance to 20,000 Hz at +/- 4 dB (0 and 15 degrees off-axis).

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
looks like from a fr evaluation the response is great compared to other 3 inch drivers tested with a 15 db swing and higher distortion values

Good job Scott :)

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and thanks for actually reviving this thread. I was literally thinking to myself that posting this stuff seems to be useless. I was already starting to give up hope.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Oh, and thanks for actually reviving this thread. I was literally thinking to myself that posting this stuff seems to be useless. I was already starting to give up hope.
Dont give up, buddy.
From one test freak to another, THANKS.
Like you know I'm on "temporary retirement" from car audio, but reading this type of threads is a breath of fresh air.
I had the chance to test this driver a while back with the WT3 and in the car and it's one amazing speaker.

J.

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Erin, is this a driver we will see klippel results for once thats up and running?
Yes, but not soon. Still a bit out on the Klippel testing just yet.

As for the bump at ~2khz which is seen in this test and the A-P drivers I tested:
I said this many times in the other driver test thread: it's something that seems commonly related to driver size; a bump that's typically related to half wavelength of driver size (or thereabout). I tested this driver in free-air and had the same results. It's not the baffle influence nor the screws, etc as I mounted this driver flush and used silicone to fill in gaps as well as flushed screws. What you are seeing is indeed a product of the driver itself just as was the case as the other drivers I tested. But, again, keep in mind the scale at which the data is posted and also keep in mind that it's very common for drivers to exhibit this kind of behavior in the 1-4khz range, depending on driver size.

I won't comment anymore as to why you see it... I can just verify that it is there legitimately and I ran a gamut of tests to verify this. If you'd like to see the results of the "gamut" to verify that I'm not full of crap, shoot me a PM with your email. I won't post them here.

- Erin

·
Registered
312 Posts
You know what would be awesome? A dummies tutorial on how to interpret these graphs, what they offer, and how can I apply that knowledge.

There very well may be something out there, but its hard to find when you don't know what you are looking for in the first place!

Personally I get the gist of what the graphs are showing, but what is the data's practical significance?

I actually own these drivers and am quite curious as to any knowledge that will help me better tune my system.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts