DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note:
I put these drivers up together because they are different versions of the same driver and from a comparison standpoint I thought it might be nice to have the FR at 0deg plotted together.

Thanks to the folks who donated them.

For test setup, procedures, and information on how the data was obtained see sticky here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/product-reviews-erin-harrdison-bikinpunk/103414-driver-testing-methods-setup-frequency-response-harmonic-distortion-only.html
Do not ask setup questions in this thread. This thread is only for driver discussion.

To understand how to read the data, try here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/product-reviews-erin-harrdison-bikinpunk/103817-how-read-frequency-response-harmonic-distortion-plots.html

Drivers Tested:

Impedance and T/S Parameters:

L6:

L6SE:

Frequency Response of both drivers at 0 degrees, 3dB scale:

Frequency Response at 0, 30, and 60 degrees:

NOTE: The L6 scale is 3dB, while the L6SE is 5dB. That was a mess up on my part. I'll see if I can correct this when I get home later. Just note this difference.

L6:

L6SE:

Harmonic Distortion at 95dB:

L6:

L6SE:

Overall, the results look pretty good.

For point of reference, check out the Scan results. The HATs seem on par in terms of magnitudes.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/bikinpunks-product-review-forum/104282-scanspeak-18w-4531g.html

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW, these are 2 of the last 4 drivers I'm testing for a while.
The baffle is coming down on Monday because the house is going up on the market. I was asked to do a comparo by a friend for his own information and decided to post them up.

Thanks for tuning in.

- Erin

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
FWIW, these are 2 of the last 4 drivers I'm testing for a while.
The baffle is coming down on Monday because the house is going up on the market. I was asked to do a comparo by a friend for his own information and decided to post them up.

Thanks for tuning in.

- Erin
Thanks for all the great work Erin, you know you are appreciated by us all....

·
18,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
On lunch break, so figured I'd throw out some comments based on the data (Scott, other users, feel free to jump in if you see something you disagree with):

On the low end, both drivers seem to look similar. Though, the SE has a lower Fs. The motor force (Bl) on the SE is a bit stronger. Not huge, but a bit. This should correlate to lower distortion down low and better extension (the SE has a spec'd xmax 2.5mm greater than the standard L6).

The SE has a lower resistance on the top end which should mean that it'll play higher compared to the L6 (L6 has 20ohm resistance @ 20khz; L6SE has 11ohm resistance @ 20khz). That correlates to higher frequency extension; evidenced by the FR (at a cost of distortion). Inductance on the SE is about half of the L6v1.
On axis, either of them look good. The se looks better both at 0 and 30, though.

The SE seems like the better driver in terms of wide bandpass and lower overall distortion (evidenced by THD levels) and individual levels (except for the high end on f1 and f2, again).

I don't know the price differences so won't speak on if the SE upgrade is worth it. It may very well be, or the L6 standard may suffice. It's going to depend on install and requirements. If you're using it in the kicks on axis and want to cross high, the L6SE seems like it's the wiser choice as it retains output level all the way up 10khz. Would you want to use it this high? Based on distortion, I'd say no, but it looks like you can safely cross up as high as 4khz and even higher, depending on how the f2 distortion affects what you hear. I haven't listened to either driver so can't comment.
In other words, it seems to me like the L6SE would work well mated with a high crossed tweeter, which, to me, is a good thing because most tweeters have pretty poor distortion below 4khz anyway*.

*evidenced by Zaph's testing of various tweeters

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for doing this, Erin. Interesting results :)

Can you, or anyone else comment on the effect that the first pair of graphs imply? Although similar shapes, the phase swing of the SE is about 2/3 or the original L6, and the impedence curve is actually much flatter on the SE (although it doesn't look it due to the scale differences). I'd think that both ought to contribute to a noticable difference between the two drivers, but I'm not sure why this is? :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts