DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
The HAT will have a better timbre match with the Morel. The Focals would end up sounding too different and cause a conflict of interests so to speak.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
"The loser", nice way to put it.
It wasn't meant to be a negative statement. But if you're comparing 2 things to see which you like better it's a contest in my book. If there's a contest between 2 items then you'll have a winner and a loser. You know? Both of the drivers you're auditioning are solid and good choices.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have had both and both are really good.. Right now I am in love with the focals only because focals go with my current setup.. I think that the hybrids would be more suitable to go with the piccalos...

I WOULD THINK is my key statement.... I would install them both to see which you like better with the tweeter.. BTW they will need different baffles the 6lse is slightly larger

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I WOULD THINK is my key statement.... I would install them both to see which you like better with the tweeter.. BTW they will need different baffles the 6lse is slightly larger
By the looks of them both, the Hybrids will install in most doors due to them having Neo magnets. It is really amazing how small the magnet structure is for the size driver.

The Focals, on the other hand, have a quite large magnet structure that might mean some level of door modification.

Part of what I am doing is buying equipment that will fit in most any vehicle. Once I get my system sounding the way I like it, I plan on having it like that for some time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Install one at a time, listen to then for a few weeks each. Play with tweeter placement, off-axis, crossover setting and then choose...they are two different animals...

I have the krx2 and its my second favorite set of all time!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Install one at a time, listen to then for a few weeks each. Play with tweeter placement, off-axis, crossover setting and then choose...they are two different animals...

I have the krx2 and its me second favorite set of all time!!

What's your 1st favorite?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The KRX3 set...but placement of tweeter is everything and the same with the 3-way...on-axis + windshield = too aggressive for me....off axis, kick or a-pillar works best...just be sure to use the passive x-overs for axis adjustments...

·
Registered
100 Posts
But again these are different animals.... if I wanted a pure sq setup the new Arc Audio black 3-way is the ticket...heard these a few weeks back in a jeep and they are amazing...most "realistic" speaker, and still exciting...alot of other brands accurately reproduce the music but are dull, boring, stale...I like a little....ok, alot of volume, crisp, detail and something that gets my heart pumping...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
BTW, I don't have the KRX2 set, I just have the mids. I will be using my Morel Supremo Piccolos that I currently have.

Right now they are in the stock locations reflecting off the windshield. This setup does not work too well due to what has been described as "beaming". I think I will start working on my a-pillar mounts today. Hopefully they don't take too long. I have an 07 Camry and the doors are huge, the factory speakers are 6x9s all the way around. Space for the mids is not an issue with this vehicle. The doors are so large in fact, that I am able to fit the Exodus Audio Anarchy 6 1/2s. Though I like the sound of them, I am just trying to take my system to the next level.

I know this question does not belong in here, but what supplies do I need for the a-pillar mounts? I've never done this before.

I think the following might be what I need:

1/2 inch MDF for the baffle
Felt
Fiberglass resin - not sure what type
Bondo - not sure what flavor
Sanding block and sandpaper - I have a mouse sander
Hole saw for the hole cutting
Not sure what else I might need.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts