DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curiosity as I've been reading the forums trying to find the answer to my dead thread:

Has anyone considered using this big Planar as a Center channel, lying flat on the dash width-wise? It's very shallow, so the built-up enclosure wouldn't be that tall, vertical dispersion's a non-issue with the Neo10 lying 90% horizontal and being center channel-dutied, and with a cheap neo tweet should cover the fundamental freq band, at least in a non-competition, medium-output system. That perforated faceplate could even pass for a windshield heater element, aiding the stealthy-install crowd.

Not considering doing it, just I thought an interesting topic while I try to find answers to my own questions.0

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the PE crowd stated >1" depth enclosure could work, provided it's well damped/stuffed. i hope someone's brave/smart/stupid enough to contemplate it :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done it with the Neo-8S, and the deeper the better.
You've access to the -8S? Several of us home audio guys are curious about it; it's resemblance to the Neo10's diaphragm poses potential positives for the 8s' low end extension capability. I've searched for 8S info on here, but haven't found anything. Mind sharing your install, technical info, thoughts and opinion? It wasn't as a Center, was it?? And if so, I assume you utilized a matching pair in the kicks or perhaps lower doors?

I assume you're utilizing it as a wideband mid, perhaps 500hz-3k (I don't like it's beaming much above 3k)? As we hammer out my build, I keep wanting to use a Neo8, even though it's a terrible idea for my application.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
It sounds like a great idea build-wise, but it could be problematic for SQ. In general I don't think you should have different speakers playing the same frequencies, and the BG's definitely sound different than any cone speaker I have heard. You would have a tuning nightmare on your hands trying to get it to sound coherent. If possible, use the same speaker you're using for mids in stereo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a great idea build-wise, but it could be problematic for SQ. In general I don't think you should have different speakers playing the same frequencies, and the BG's definitely sound different than any cone speaker I have heard. You would have a tuning nightmare on your hands trying to get it to sound coherent. If possible, use the same speaker you're using for mids in stereo.
Agreed, and thank you for the response. I personally've been trying to work out a way to utilize a Neo8 for my midrange, as I use both it and the Neo3 in my home-built speakers, although I don't think it feasible in my case.

That's what got me thinking about a Neo 10 Center; A user that has a front stage with, say, an Aurum AC165/50, Seas L18, or any other lean/clean midwoofer to cover up to around the 700 LR4 a Neo8 can handle and a Neo 3 (crossed lower than I think many car guys utilize it or higher LR2), would have an airy, clean stage-pan if this concept was in any way feasible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts