DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let's say you have 4.5k to 5k wts RMS to play with and, you have space for up to around an 8 cu ft enclosure... Let's say, 10 cubes OD.

Also, I want to add, you have been given this wattage, and this space..... But you have to pay for the subs.... So what is going to be your choice for best value ?

Would you be more likely to run a couple strong 15"s ? Four 12"s ? Six or eight 10"s ?
Let's say you have up to $1000'ish to spend on the subs....

Would you be shooting for SPL or SQ ? Or somewhere in between ? Also, are you more of a loud bass, or deep bass freak, or somewhere in between, with that too ?

Your thoughts plz.

TY 馃檪

Registered
You could do 4 15s sealed and that would give sqL (big L). Or 2 18s. Could even do 1 24 but that driver would cost quite a bit and 5,000w is a little much. So if I had that type of space that I was willing to give up, either 4 SI HST-15s or 2 HST-18s in sealed enclosures. Lots of crystal clear, deep bass.

Now if you wanted more of an SPL setup, probably a pair of 15s ported. 4 ported 12s would be about the same output as the pair of 15s. And 8 ported 10s might work well too though then you might not have enough power depending on the drivers you got.

Premium Member
Would you be shooting for SPL or SQ ? Or somewhere in between ? Also, are you more of a loud bass, or deep bass freak, or ...
As I believe there is a possibility of too much SPL, I would probably go deep bass and SQ.

Registered
I would put 1 or two si 24s no question. Would not even bother with 15鈥檚 or 18鈥檚. Best bass I have EVER experienced or had. Sq but with the ability to shake the car apart.

Registered
10 cubic feet would work for a single HS-24. Definitely a good choice but he鈥檇 have to dial the power down some or buy the more expensive high power version SHS-24.

I love my 24s in the home theater. Flat in room to 7 Hz at reference and can play cleanly to 120Hz. An amazing sub. I just could never imagine giving up that type of room in a vehicle unless I had one of those big and long work vans. But if I could, you bet I would in a heartbeat.

And I should add that a pair of HST-18s is really close to the capability of a single HS-24. And would take the 5,000w very well, take up less room, but still have similar output. So I take that back, I鈥檇 do a pair of HST-18s over even a single HS-24.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I would put 1 or two si 24s no question. Would not even bother with 15鈥檚 or 18鈥檚. Best bass I have EVER experienced or had. Sq but with the ability to shake the car apart.
Very interesting. I've never really had a sealed enclosure that was loud enough for me....
But then I've never had an enclosure with a couple 18"s or a 24" with 4.5 to 5k thrown at them either 馃檪

Si ? I will have to look at those. TY.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Another Si fan 馃檪 Going to check those out now...

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thank you guys. So you have to know the reason I asked 馃槈
Alright so right now, I'm playing with the 18" Skar setup with Passive Radiators, etc.....

But here's the thing, I have actually already had a 10 cu ft OD box in this truck, so I know I can squeeze it in.
AND, I was reading that if I were to get one more Wolfram Audio 2400.1, (for only $300) it can be strapped to give me 4800 wts RMS... At 2 ohms.

So their you go...

I'm going to go on and finish this current thing right now... But Summer is my $$$ months... And I feel like some of the options you guys mentioned, or something similar would be super easy ! ....and fun 馃檪 Do still want to upgrade the electrical though too.

Still open for any other crazy ideas as well.

Premium Member
Fair enough. And in doing so, what subs do you think you would choose ? Remembering about a $1000'ish limit ?
I really have no idea, I am not a sub expert.
Probably something with low distortion or in a bandpass to limit harmonics... which in theory also allows it to play a bit higher.

Really the woofers need to be pretty extraordinary to keep up with the power levels you are suggesting... since that is difficult, then using the power lower and higher than 30-60 Hz is where I would be going,

Registered
Okay, let's say you have 4.5k to 5k wts RMS to play with and, you have space for up to around an 8 cu ft enclosure... Let's say, 10 cubes OD.

Also, I want to add, you have been given this wattage, and this space..... But you have to pay for the subs.... So what is going to be your choice for best value ?

Would you be more likely to run a couple strong 15"s ? Four 12"s ? Six or eight 10"s ?

Would you be shooting for SPL or SQ ? Or somewhere in between ? Also, are you more of a loud bass, or deep bass freak, or somewhere in between, with that too ?

Your thoughts plz.

TY
Hmmm....I have 6000 watts rms, room for 2 15's, and I'm a not so closeted bass head with an affinity for really, really deep bass (single digit frequencies). I don't think $1000 will do what I would want though (2 15" Adire Audio Kali's, sealed box). Quit trying to make me/us spend more money! Just stop it, now!

Registered

Your thoughts plz.

TY 馃檪
What kinda of car or truck is this? I cant imagine giving up 10 cubes of space for a sub enclosure in a car or SUV.
For me, I would run a nice single 12 to 15 inch sub sealed. Yes I prefer the sealed sound over ported and then and make sure my front stage is dialed in. I have tried to replicate one of the best low end set ups I every heard in person. It was 3 twelves in a 4th order bandpass ported through a ski hole. It was clean, balanced, and not a rattle to be found. Part of my issue is I just am not willing to give up the trunk space that car took to do it now. I am currently kicking around the idea of going IB, but also have a Sundown design for a 4th order SA 12 that I have been sitting on for years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm....I have 6000 watts rms, room for 2 15's, and I'm a not so closeted bass head with an affinity for really, really deep bass (single digit frequencies). I don't think $1000 will do what I would want though (2 15" Adire Audio Kali's, sealed box). Quit trying to make me/us spend more money! Just stop it, now!
You guys and those sealed boxes ! I mean, I guess if I'd ever built one that played even almost loud enough, I might feel different. But then also, I'm thinking they might need a lot of EQ help as they are going to have that l--o--n--g slow rolloff, right ? And a couple things my old 08' F150 is never likely to have is an EQ, or a DSP...... Although one or both of those would be an absolute necessity in a new vehicle, with a fresh new build from scratch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
What kinda of car or truck is this? I cant imagine giving up 10 cubes of space for a sub enclosure in a car or SUV.
For me, I would run a nice single 12 to 15 inch sub sealed. Yes I prefer the sealed sound over ported and then and make sure my front stage is dialed in. I have tried to replicate one of the best low end set ups I every heard in person. It was 3 twelves in a 4th order bandpass ported through a ski hole. It was clean, balanced, and not a rattle to be found. Part of my issue is I just am not willing to give up the trunk space that car took to do it now. I am currently kicking around the idea of going IB, but also have a Sundown design for a 4th order SA 12 that I have been sitting on for years.
Hey Jroo. I just cant imagine getting enough bass out of hardly anything, sealed ? Maybe I built them wrong, but each of the two or 3 times I tried a sealed enclosure, I decided it was a mistake in the first 5 minutes. To be honest, they sounded good, had they been 6 or more DB's louder, and then EQ'ed...

Oh so yea' I have an F150 Supercab, with no back seats. It could easily be walled. Id only need a backup camera rear view :) I could probably get 30-40 cubic feet back there :)

Premium Member
You guys and those sealed boxes ! I mean, I guess if I'd ever built one that played even almost loud enough, I might feel different. But then also, I'm thinking they might need a lot of EQ help as they are going to have that l--o--n--g slow rolloff, right ?
IB may be the least stressful in group delay, but sealed are also not overly challenging.

Think of it as... as the orders go up the GD goes up,
So iB < sealed < ported < dual bass reflex < bandpass flavours.

Registered
Either you鈥檝e got crazy sound pressure requirements or you鈥檝e been doing it wrong. Sealed is not the most efficient alignment but a beefy sub with a lot of power can have a ton of output without taking that much space. 30-40 cubic feet and I could make sure you wouldn鈥檛 be able to stay in your truck with it turned up, all with sealed subs. I hate to say but I think you were doing it wrong. But give ported a try and hopefully you鈥檒l do that one right this time and will be over the moon in quantity and quality.

But add a damn DSP. Without a DSP, it鈥檇 be like having a 4-cylinder engine in your truck.

Registered
1) I mean, I guess if I'd ever built one that played even almost loud enough, I might feel different.
2) But then also, I'm thinking they might need a lot of EQ help as they are going to have that l--o--n--g slow rolloff, right ?
3) And a couple things my old 08' F150 is never likely to have is an EQ, or a DSP...... Although one or both of those would be an absolute necessity in a new vehicle, with a fresh new build from scratch.
1) 2 good 12's (sealed) in a hatchback can easily hit mid 140's with barely over 1000 watts.
2) No eq necessary. Unless you're running massive power and need to avoid overexcursion, but that applies to ported boxes too.
3) You really should try a dsp, really. You don't realize how much improvement can be had with a dsp until you try one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Either you鈥檝e got crazy sound pressure requirements or you鈥檝e been doing it wrong. Sealed is not the most efficient alignment but a beefy sub with a lot of power can have a ton of output without taking that much space. 30-40 cubic feet and I could make sure you wouldn鈥檛 be able to stay in your truck with it turned up, all with sealed subs. I hate to say but I think you were doing it wrong. But give ported a try and hopefully you鈥檒l do that one right this time and will be over the moon in quantity and quality.

But add a damn DSP. Without a DSP, it鈥檇 be like having a 4-cylinder engine in your truck.
Well like I say, I've tried sealed enclosures a few times, as recently as a couple years ago for my two 10" NVX subs, giving them 965wts RMS, and it wasn't close to loud enough.
Same 10"s with same power in ported, tuned to 31 hz, Bam 馃檪 Quite good for a pair of mid grade 10"s. Honestly they are enough for daily driving. But 1) I don't hardly use the truck for daily driving anymore anyway, and 2) this whole 18" sub idea is mostly just for fun 馃檪

I would totally agree that it could be my mistake with the cubes or whatever, of the sealed boxes I've tried..... But seriously, what could be easier than a 6 sided rectangle box ? And I definitely know how to properly seal them.

Oh and hey, btw, I took the 15"s out today, and found out what the issue was... I was not bottoming out. Instead, one if the subs has got a little voice coil rub. I thought I might have had an issue with one of those subs a few years ago when I took them out, but couldn't remember what that was about...
That's a shame, as they sounded so good except at specific frequencies at high volume....

Anyway, I'm really confident in this next build. Oh and my PR's are going to be totally fine too.... I was mistakenly looking at the max excursion line for the sub. The max excursion line for the PR's was a little higher off the top of the window 馃槈 I had to shrink that window a bit to see it.

Getting the wood chopped up tomorrow. Will get most of the build done Weds. Finish on Thursday.
Kind of stoked 馃槈

1 - 19 of 19 Posts