DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Kia Optima is being a pain in the [email protected]#.
Despite the fact that I have been in the process of installing a system for ohhhh 3 months. Or at least that is how long I think I had my back seat out. I am slow what can I say.

Today I tried to run the speaker wires into the door for my mid. Took part of the dash apart got to the rubber boot that houses the wires going into the door. Guess what I find; not a simple hole with a wiring harness going into the boot but a freaking plastic plug connector filling the whole. [email protected]##$$##[email protected]#!
No other holes in site anywhere in the door seal area.

Basically I just wanted to vent. But, I know their is at least one member on here that has the same car. What did you do? I personally have never seen this before. Though this is only my 4th install.

Also, Kia guy's I have checked into a bigger alternator and was told their are no parts for my alternator to build one for higher out put. Stock is 95 amps.
I am a little concerned that I may not have a big enough alternator.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Most people put the wire through the plug if there are any open spots. May require a little drilling on the plug.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Drilling is a way to go...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son came over today and we looked at . Hiding behind or forward of the lower hinge was a rubber plug. Ah, a hole and a way through in into the door boot from their.
Thanks goodness. Without a pancake attachment for a drill I would have had to remove the door to drill. No, access even with dash torn apart from the inside.

·
4,981 Posts
well, it depends on the kind of car it is, the vw molexis is one of hte easiest to work iwth, other cars i have delt with feature much smaller nad easy to shatter molexi,

can you get the molex pull apart, and snap a close up of one of the connectors front and back and we can give you some more hints?

i prolyl have drilled through about 3-400 molexis over the yeras, and i would ay a good 10 percent of them were hair raising beucawe they were so small. starting with a small bit and gradiually going up in size...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it depends on the kind of car it is, the vw molexis is one of hte easiest to work iwth, other cars i have delt with feature much smaller nad easy to shatter molexi,

can you get the molex pull apart, and snap a close up of one of the connectors front and back and we can give you some more hints?

i prolyl have drilled through about 3-400 molexis over the yeras, and i would ay a good 10 percent of them were hair raising beucawe they were so small. starting with a small bit and gradiually going up in size...
I got it from another route that I can live with.

How ever I tried many times to get it apart, I could not. Really could not get more than part way out of the hole and only 2 fingers could I really hold it with. Both mine and my sons hands are kinda big.

But, I will recall about drilling through those things down the road. As they seem to be more common than I would have thought:).

Thanks for everyone's input. In hind site I should have thought of drilling as an option and it never crossed my mind. Not the Molex conector that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts