DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a eD Nine.1 sub amp going to two old school Solos. Simple enough.
I was planning on buying a nice set of comps, probably 3 ways and running them passive off my Nine.2x (200x2 @ 4 ohm). Then I got a wiff of the diy route. I understand that I would have to power every driver with its own channel. I can pick up another amp (4x65 or 2x100 both at 4 Ohm) to use on some drivers. Now, if I went three way, what would you guys suggest. Is my Nine2x too powerful for a single set of drivers? Could I use that to drive a 2 way set and add a set of midbass drivers? I also have the CDT EIK tweets in my a pillars so I was originally going to get some CDT 3 ways to take advantage of that setup. Seems to me with the different drivers and two sets of tweeters I would be in a massive project. Looking for ideas and suggestions.

I've got room in my doors for a 7" driver (maybe the 8" Peerless with the truncated frame). I can get kicks made for some mids and tweets.
I guess this is what you get when you change direction midstream. Help!
I like detail, midbass, jazz, realistic vocals, some low end stuff....alot of different kinds of music

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would suggest going active if you can. I takes a while to tune and get right, however active setups have always sounded better to me anyways. I'm sure most will agree, even though there are some very expensive sets with nice passive crossovers.
When somebody is in doubt about running active, I always give them this to read:
https://myeporia.eporia.com/resources/company_38/techpaper104.pdf

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think you should stick with passive until you've learned a bit more about active setups.

200 watt amp is fine.. heck a 1000 watt amp on drivers is fine, just keep the gain down.
Get rid of the Second set of twts. Jazz and realistic vocals? Sounds like Eton drivers to me =]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brandont said:
I would suggest going active if you can. I takes a while to tune and get right, however active setups have always sounded better to me anyways. I'm sure most will agree, even though there are some very expensive sets with nice passive crossovers.
When somebody is in doubt about running active, I always give them this to read:
https://myeporia.eporia.com/resources/company_38/techpaper104.pdf
Thanks for the input...I don't know if that made me want to go active or not. I felt like I was back in college :eek: . If I have a Mono sub amp, a 200x2 comp amp already, if I picked up a 4x65 amp, could I use the 200x2 on a set of midbass, and the 4x65 for the mids and tweets? I assume I would need a crossover, correct. Looking at the $$, the money I could save by buying the drivers diy could be spent on the extra amp and crossover. In the end I would have a better sound and more control. Again, thanks for the input. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
daitrong said:
I think you should stick with passive until you've learned a bit more about active setups.

200 watt amp is fine.. heck a 1000 watt amp on drivers is fine, just keep the gain down.
Get rid of the Second set of twts. Jazz and realistic vocals? Sounds like Eton drivers to me =]
THe extra set of tweets is making me want to stay with CDT to use the IEK, but I could scrap them (although I would have funny holes in my a pillars :rolleyes: . See my next post...what do you think of the extra amp idea. guess I still have some cipherin' to do :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
you might want to check out this unit from Alto Mobile called the UCS PRO. It has assignable outputs, adjustable crossover points, slopes, and crossover types. Time delay on every channel, compression, and it does all of this in real time. There is a FREE program on Alto Mobile's site which you can download and use the PC to tune or you can buy the sorta DIN size optional controller.

http://www.altomobile.com/html/ucs_pro.html

;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
audiowave said:
you might want to check out this unit from Alto Mobile called the UCS PRO. It has assignable outputs, adjustable crossover points, slopes, and crossover types. Time delay on every channel, compression, and it does all of this in real time. There is a FREE program on Alto Mobile's site which you can download and use the PC to tune or you can buy the sorta DIN size optional controller.

http://www.altomobile.com/html/ucs_pro.html

;)
Any idea the cost of one of these or where to purchase one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
the suggested retail price is $660, so if it is on ebay for cheap; I'd say go for it. The only other thing that even comes close to it is the Alpine F1 stuff but that costs many, many times more....

·
Registered
433 Posts
audiowave said:
the suggested retail price is $660, so if it is on ebay for cheap; I'd say go for it. The only other thing that even comes close to it is the Alpine F1 stuff but that costs many, many times more....
How does this compare to the Alpine H701? retail/ebay prices seem to be close.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts