DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I’m in way over my head here and could use some help putting together a system for my 2000 GMC C2500 pick-up. I bought an amp (JL HD900/5), and some junk Infinity speakers. The head unit that came with the truck is an Eclipse 3432. After listening to you folks, I am beginning to understand some of what’s going on in the industry today. I would like to try and build a system with a “front stage” as opposed to the stuff from my day (think quadraphonic). Here’s where I am. I think the the amp is good enough and have heard that the head unit is o.k. However, the speakers are a problem. I was looking at your posts and it sounds like the Focal, Hertz, or maybe the Morel component are something I would like to use. It is apparent that I will have to build the enclosures and modify the interior as needed. Can you give me some guidance as to which speakers would work well in my situation and where to start? I am thinking I should strip the cab and lay the Dynamat first,,, right?????

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Best way to start, is a good solid plan. As it sounds, your set... Er at least comfortable with the head unit. The 900.5 is more than okay, it's a very solid and respected amp. Great foundation to build on, so don't sweat the amp at all.
As far as stripping the interior to sound deaden, first figure out your amp, and speaker mounting locations. This way, while the truck is bare you can deaden and run power/ground/rca/speaker wire before putting it all back together.

Do you want to do 3way, 2way, (+sub),etc..are you looking at processing? I'm not sure of the capabilities of the eclipse. Does it have xovers or TA?

Also the speakers you mentioned are from great companies, but don't rule out raw drivers like Dayton, scan, tb, seas,etc. If your looking to go passive, the pre built sets would be easiest, but you could potentially save a little money in raw drivers.
A lot depends on what your goals are, how much fab work you do/don't want to do, budget, etc...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts