DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, I can not get the steve meade dd1 to work with a1004 or a5001. Has anyone used the DD1 with these amps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery turns on fine, i have used the dd1 on about five more of my amps before and it worked fine and i also tested it on an extra amp and it worked
correctly. I am pitting postive lead into positive, and negative into negative. Its basically dummy proof, lol. I just dont understand it, i cant get a signal or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have used one on both those amps, hooked up as you described, and it worked. Double check your stuff....

·
Registered
79 Posts
i had more issues with my SMD tools when I use the leads that they come with. I remade leads and haven't had issues since. could be coincidence but that's what I did.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had more issues with my SMD tools when I use the leads that they come with. I remade leads and haven't had issues since. could be coincidence but that's what I did.

The leads work fine, used them on my spare amp to check. I have my ms amps installed in tight spaces and i believe i am not getting good connections. I am going to check it again shortly if it quits raining.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh well I am at a loss, I just can't figure it out why I am getting no signal to the dd1. I do have a question, this could be my whole problem but not for sure, first time I have ever used these amps. I have my gains turned all the way down, and when you have them turned all the way down it shows this symbol on the amp screen -- It says in the manual when this symbol -- is showing on the amp, the output will be muted, would that stop me from getting a signal to the dd1? I have only tried so far to see where my headunit distorts at so I have not tried to turn up my gains yet. I just now read that a few minutes ago about the output being muted and have not had a chance to try and raise the gain to see if I can get a signal, if that is even the problem.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why not use the JBL CD and set the gain like those amps are meant to?

Because Andy said when using aftermarket headunit and especially with ms-8, to turn input volume to minimum and not use the cd that is included, only for factory systems

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not use the JBL CD and set the gain like those amps are meant to?

I wish I could go that route. I am just hoping the mute is the issue, if not, just going to set them by the good ole ears

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Oh well I am at a loss, I just can't figure it out why I am getting no signal to the dd1. I do have a question, this could be my whole problem but not for sure, first time I have ever used these amps. I have my gains turned all the way down, and when you have them turned all the way down it shows this symbol on the amp screen -- It says in the manual when this symbol -- is showing on the amp, the output will be muted, would that stop me from getting a signal to the dd1? I have only tried so far to see where my headunit distorts at so I have not tried to turn up my gains yet. I just now read that a few minutes ago about the output being muted and have not had a chance to try and raise the gain to see if I can get a signal, if that is even the problem.

Sounds to me like that's the problem.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If output is muted when the gain is at minimum, one obviously won't get a measurable output. Kick up the gain just a tad and see if you get a signal then.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
The battery turns on fine, i have used the dd1 on about five more of my amps before and it worked fine and i also tested it on an extra amp and it worked
correctly. I am pitting postive lead into positive, and negative into negative. Its basically dummy proof, lol. I just dont understand it, i cant get a signal or nothing.

It's been a while since I pulled out the DD-1, but don't you attach DD-1 positive lead to the speaker output positive, but the negative lead should go to the amp ground?

Checking from manual:

Setting the gain of a full range amplifier
1. This procedure should only be done AFTER you
have ensured the headunit puts out a clean
undistorted signal, AND you know where the
maximum undistorted volume setting is.
2. Turn the gain setting of the amplifer to minimum
3. Set crossover to full range / all pass/ bypass
4. Disconnect all speakers connected to the
amplifier. (This has already been calculated into
the equation and provides 1- 3dB more gain
overlap on unregulated power supply amplifiers
and 0dB more gain overlap on regulated power
supply amplifiers).
5. Using included harness, connect DD-1 to output
of amplifier. Connect the red harness lead to
the Left Speaker (+) terminal
, connect the black
to Amplifier Ground
. (Note: Most mutilchannel
amplifers have the signal on Left (+) and Right (
-)
6. Play track 4 or 6 on test CD (Track 4 will ensure
maximum sound quality, Track 6 will result in a
louder system). Your choice.
7. Set the headunit’s bass, treble, EQ’s, crossovers
to flat

8. Set the headunit’s volume to the maximum
undistorted volume setting that was measured
with the DD-1 previously
9. The Signal detected LED and the 1kHz LED
should illuminate.
10. Slowly turn up the amplifier’s gain setting until
the Distorition detected LED illuminates
continuously, then back down slowly until it just
goes out.
11. You are finished with the gain setting of this
amplifier. Now disconnect the DD-1, connect
the speakers to the amplifier, and set the
crossover to the desired position. See Where
do I set my crossovers section if you need
help with this.
12. Congratulations, you have just set the gain like a
Pro.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Because Andy said when using aftermarket headunit and especially with ms-8, to turn input volume to minimum and not use the cd that is included, only for factory systems
There used to be a video on youtube with Andy showing how to use the auto gain setting feature (I cannot seem to find it anymore)

He was using an aftermarket HU and stated that you MUST set the volume to max when using the set up CD.

When you press both the small buttons simultaniously...it puts the amp into set up mode and mutes the output, then...with the CD playing just dial the gains until you get the green check light.

I used this method with my P99 to Helix to amps...seemed to work great!!

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There used to be a video on youtube with Andy showing how to use the auto gain setting feature (I cannot seem to find it anymore)

He was using an aftermarket HU and stated that you MUST set the volume to max when using the set up CD.

When you press both the small buttons simultaniously...it puts the amp into set up mode and mutes the output, then...with the CD playing just dial the gains until you get the green check light.

I used this method with my P99 to Helix to amps...seemed to work great!!

Awesome, so u r saying set headunit volume to max correct? So u have used this method with these amps? Thank you for thehelp

1 - 20 of 38 Posts