DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was doing some tuning and pulled my sub out to get to my amp and was setting the gains on the front channels and went back up front to listen. I put some music on and everything sounded terrible and the amp shut off and then I realized that I had forgot about my sub wires. They were touching and caused the amp to turn off. Now my sub channel does not work. My amp is a zapco I-5100 I pulled the cover off and looked at it and could find nothing wrong and I couldn't smell anything like something had burnt. What would be the most likely problem. I just got this amp a few weeks ago and am quite mad at myself and am not sure exactly what to look for.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Today I was doing some tuning and pulled my sub out to get to my amp and was setting the gains on the front channels and went back up front to listen. I put some music on and everything sounded terrible and the amp shut off and then I realized that I had forgot about my sub wires. They were touching and caused the amp to turn off. Now my sub channel does not work. My amp is a zapco I-5100 I pulled the cover off and looked at it and could find nothing wrong and I couldn't smell anything like something had burnt. What would be the most likely problem. I just got this amp a few weeks ago and am quite mad at myself and am not sure exactly what to look for.

Did you check your fuses ??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah they're all fine. I pulled them out right away and then pulled the cover off to look at it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
does that amp have two power supplies? You may have blown the supply or one of the circuits. If you can't get it working, send it back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping I didnt kill the sub channel but I checked over everything again and can find nothing wrong with any of the connections. All the other channels still work fine though. Sounds like I'll probably have to send it in.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Did you try it again in case it just protected? I guess they put large enough fuses in the amp if its blown and the fuses are good....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still nothing with the sub hooked back up. I would have thought it should have blown the fuses long before something would go inside the amp.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Make sure you have power/remote/ground to the amp. Does anything light up or anything? Does it have lights? You know, double check everything just to be sure it is the amp.

You never know what will blow, or if it will protect and save itself. Usually they smell funny if they blow, but not always.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Murphy works strange things in cases like this. A lot of time you will blow resistors, fets, capacitors, and diodes in order to keep that fuse from blowing :(

I once had a torrid catch on fire before blowing a fuse that Rockford Fosgate told me to put into one of my Punch 150s. They ended up replacing the amp for free and I bet their tech felt ultra dumb for telling me to use a 40 amp slow blow fuse on the power wire. FWIW it was bridged 8 ohms to a pair of 8s and shouldn't have even popped the regular 25 amp fuses!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Don't feel bad. I blew 2 amps this last summer. I had a broken connector on my midbass that when installed caused a dead short. I lost a fosgate 500a2 and an Orion 900.2. no fuses blown. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Make sure you have power/remote/ground to the amp. Does anything light up or anything? Does it have lights? You know, double check everything just to be sure it is the amp.

You never know what will blow, or if it will protect and save itself. Usually they smell funny if they blow, but not always.

The other six channels are still working fine. There was no smell either. I'll have to take another look at the board tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
See if you have any current on the sub terminals when its on and no sub hooked up. If you think it blew and want to check you would need to test the outputs for the sub channel. Zapco does not even have a website? I heard they were moving production to China like everyone else, amps have become toasters I guess.

That sounds like a heck of an amp.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
The amp "should" have some sort of short protection... hmmm ...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well my amp is fine. :tiny: Somehow my rca came off my 360.2 which is under my front seat. I never even thought about those. It must have been on the verge of falling off and when I slid my amp over to check it out it fell off. Bad timing on the rca coming off I guess.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Good deal, those are supposed to be great amps and should not blow from that, hopefully.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.