DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel really stupid asking this, but just incase, i thought I might ask:

I have a DIYMA R12, it has a soft, removable rubber surround ring protector thing around the edge of the sub with mounting holes. So I mark the wholes on the box, then drill the holes. But the mounting holes of the rubber surround and the metal outer ring of the sub are the same size. So do I just need to find screws that have a larger head than the mounting holes? But if I just screw it in like that, as I tighten, I'd just be 'squeezing' the soft rubber surround (as opposed to tightening the metal to the box). Is that normal? Or should I take the rubber surround off and just mount the metal ring straight onto the wood?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes, the rubber surround should get sandwiched between the wood and the metal ring as you tighten down the screws. It helps create a good seal between the sub and the box.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so should I add one of those flat metal rings between the screw head and the rubber surround? - to increase the surface area of pressure applied to the rubber as i tighten - because right now it feels like the screw head is just squeezing/digging into the rubber.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You shouldn't have to use a washer. The screw will have to go through the rubber surround to get to the frame of the sub to hold it down.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You shouldn't have to use a washer. The screw will have to go through the rubber surround to get to the frame of the sub to hold it down.
Thats what I thought! BUT the rubber surround hole is the same size as the metal frame hole, so if the screw head goes through the rubber hole it will also go through the metal hole?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should go wood-rubber-metal-screw-rubber if viewed from the side. The rubber will cover the screw eventually.
I see, so I should lift the top part of the rubber, screw the metal to the wood with bottom part of rubber surround between the metal and the wood, then fold the top part of the rubber back to cover the screws? I think I get it now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts