DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my 3 ways in and I was expecting to be blown away, but all they did really was REALLY accentuate my midrange. And I don't know if I have a crap SQ ear or what, but midrange to me sounds like a PA system. And I don't mean, "Pro Audio." I mean like "public addres" system.

It's overwhelming. I can't even hear the midbass and the tweets are just in background. Is it "supposed" to sound like that?

I have the Rainbow 3 ways. MB in the door, mids on axis on the dash and tweets at the top of the pillars ~ 30* off axis driver's side and on axis pass side. I am sure the mids being the only ones on axis and on the dash is a huge factor, but since I always hear that they are the most important component, that's where I tried them first. I am using the passives that came with the set and ~ 100w per side.

I need suggestions. Lol.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What kind of (if any) attenuation settings do the passives have for the 3-ways?

What deck are you using? Have you tried any EQ?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I have never done a 3 way but if I did I would do it running active.
I am kind of afraid to run fully active. Every different song and genre would force me to readjust things. I am going to try passive........for now, wanna see what the judges think before I start rewiring things again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only attentuation on the passives is for the tweets. I have a crap little EQ and I have toned them down about as much as I can but it's still more prevalant than I'd like for my personal taste.

I have all the gear to go active but I wanted to try them passive first as a baseline. I'm not enjoying the baseline. Lol. I guess I was looking for maybe placement advice and whether I need to move them off axis or lower or both.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Maybe it's a power thing? I imagine if you were to even go quasi active... With just the mb active, you could bring up the mb to fill it out more.

Imo, 100w per side to a 3way is a little under powered. It's your mb that takes the hit with lack of power.100w or so to your mid or mid/tweet is doable, but I'd have at least that.. more is better.. to the mb.
Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
937 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe it's a power thing? I imagine if you were to even go quasi active... With just the mb active, you could bring up the mb to fill it out more.

Imo, 100w per side to a 3way is a little under powered. It's your mb that takes the hit with lack of power.100w or so to your mid or mid/tweet is doable, but I'd have at least that.. more is better.. to the mb.
Just a thought...
That was definitely the next plan of attack. I may run my 2202iq on the mb and a 652iq on the mids and tweets. That may be a bit on the underpowering side for the top end, but it'll definitely give me more control.

The lack of mb may be due to the small sealed I have them in too. It's tight, but lacking.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
That was definitely the next plan of attack. I may run my 2202iq on the mb and a 652iq on the mids and tweets. That may be a bit on the underpowering side for the top end, but it'll definitely give me more control.

The lack of mb may be due to the small sealed I have them in too. It's tight, but lacking.
Need to let them breath, so much better. Just my opinion.:D

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am kind of afraid to run fully active. Every different song and genre would force me to readjust things. I am going to try passive........for now, wanna see what the judges think before I start rewiring things again.
what makes you believe that? if you set your active (acoustic) xover = your passive, would you have to adjust? yes or no, the answer should be the same or both. active gives more control to tune for your environment and ears...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
what makes you believe that? if you set your active (acoustic) xover = your passive, would you have to adjust? yes or no, the answer should be the same or both. active gives more control to tune for your environment and ears...
X2. "Active" in the most basic terms means that you have control of the crossover points. Most DSP's also allow access to slopes, EQ, and TA, but let's just stick with crossover points for now. Set them the same as the passive and nothing changes EXCEPT you've gained level control via the gains (which it sounds like you need).

If you have the ability to run active, do it. Starting out leaving the drivers where they are and use the same crossover points as the passive. Adjust the gains until everything is level matched and you should be MUCH happier. You can play around with everything else after you have those basics covered.

Also, too small of an enclosure WILL kill your midbass response. It's hard to say how bad it is without seeing pictures.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Although going active will allow you to tune the system and fix this, I don't understand why nobody is asking basic questions first.

What car are these speakers in?

What brand speakers are you using, are you using the crossover that came with them?

Where are your speakers mounted?

What head unit and amps are you using?

If you are using a passive 3 way setup it should sound pretty good.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Although going active will allow you to tune the system and fix this, I don't understand why nobody is asking basic questions first.

What car are these speakers in?

What brand speakers are you using, are you using the crossover that came with them?

Where are your speakers mounted?

What head unit and amps are you using?

If you are using a passive 3 way setup it should sound pretty good.

Some of those are answered in the OP.

·
Registered
684 Posts
"in the doors" is not an answer. What vehicle? Are the doors sealed off at all? Any deadening done? Was the phase checked (reversing + and - of one driver).
Same for mids.
What equipement? Are there any filters or adjustments that were over looked?
If your going to post in tech/advanced you should know enough to give details so that you can get useful answers.
Tell us more...
Any pics of door install.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, I got my 3 ways in and I was expecting to be blown away, but all they did really was REALLY accentuate my midrange. And I don't know if I have a crap SQ ear or what, but midrange to me sounds like a PA system. And I don't mean, "Pro Audio." I mean like "public addres" system.

It's overwhelming. I can't even hear the midbass and the tweets are just in background. Is it "supposed" to sound like that?

I have the Rainbow 3 ways. MB in the door, mids on axis on the dash and tweets at the top of the pillars ~ 30* off axis driver's side and on axis pass side. I am sure the mids being the only ones on axis and on the dash is a huge factor, but since I always hear that they are the most important component, that's where I tried them first. I am using the passives that came with the set and ~ 100w per side.

I need suggestions. Lol.

100 watts per side especially through passives is WAY too low. Especially if you expect to be 'blown away'.

Take those passives and sell them on DIYMA

Then, take the gear you said you've got to go active and ....go active.

Then, take your midrange frequencies and dial them back. If you've got a good eq then you've got it made. If you don't, then dial back the amp gain on the midrange.

You'll be very happy. The only problem is that a 3 way active system will take up more real estate in your vehicle. It's frustrating but that's the trade off.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Tune it where it's equal loudness to your ears from 20-20k and you won't have to worry about that with the exception of a sub level control. Also helps to have everything in acoustical phase. Time alignment, eq, crossover slopes, and even crossover points all effect phasing. If you tune it right you'll hear things the way the person that mastered the recording meant for it to be heard. When I demo my system to someone I encourage all kinds of music to be listened to. The goal is to make a system play everything equally well without having to retune every time the song changes.

A lot of competitors do have a separate street tune, competition tune, and spl tune. Their competition tune would be reduced to a vehicle full of coil smoke if it was treated like a street tune in several cases I've seen and heard.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"in the doors" is not an answer. What vehicle? Are the doors sealed off at all? Any deadening done? Was the phase checked (reversing + and - of one driver).
Same for mids.
What equipement? Are there any filters or adjustments that were over looked?
If your going to post in tech/advanced you should know enough to give details so that you can get useful answers.
Tell us more...
Any pics of door install.....
I didn't realize that you needed this information to answer the OP but...

MB's are in the stock locations of the doors of a Nissan Titan (pics to follow). The doors are not sealed because the mb is in a small sealed enclosure, but I do have about 20sq ft of 80mil CLD deadener per side.

The mids are in a temporary aperiodic enclosure that I made mounted on axis on the dash. The tweets are at the top of the pillars 30* off axis driver's side, on axis passenger side.

I have not phase checked or tried reversing the polarity yet because I don't believe it would help my particular issue. It's on the agenda though.

The 3 way is the Rainbow Soundline 6.5" set. I don't recall the model, but I am sure it's not the "kick" version. SLC 365's?

No filters or adjustments were overlooked. The rest of the system includes an Alpine 117, old school Crossfire EQ (soon to be gone), the passive crosses that came with the set and a Linear Power 2202iq running the front.

The future plans have a pair of Linear Power 652's for the mids and tweets and the 2202iq will run the midbass only. I have not yet decided on the processor. Crossovers will be an old school LA Sound 4 way active.

I have already posted a discussion concering the absurdly small size of that midbass enclosure. When I go back into the doors, they will be going to IB and the large holes in the doors sealed with sheet metal and more deadener.

Does any of that help in diagnosing why my mids aren't blending?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts