DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: NOTE: Im not totally an sq guy, i like to be able to show out on occasion with buddies comparing setups like its a d$%k measuring contest im not gonna lie. So, i want the best of both worlds, SPL and SQ WHEN i want it, how i want it. So lots of things i do here are going to seem silly to most SQ audiophiles but just bear with me.

Anyway....I got bored driving 30 minutes to an hour plus to each of my service calls for work.

so I decided to put these pieces of equipment from various “budget-whatever that means- projects” in my work…..VAN lol

I’m not much of a tech spec guy whenwe’re talking crossover types or the deep deep knowledge that some of you guys have here (actually had to ask here what order crossover was in my amp)

BUT I do love good sounding music and I’m not afraid to try much.which usually lands me paying twice as much but learning half ass how to do whatever it was.

so here is my one week project (so call it three weeks) EDIT: Pretty sure were on week 5 at this point , go figure!

if I show up bangin to fix your washing machine never mind me I’m just having a good day my friend although I’m not sure how this is going to affect my business when my customers get drowned in sound at the red light.

well sort of, it is a budget system after all.

EDIT: why not list what we have going on here.

Headunit- JVC kenwood kw-v340bt with back up cam perfect for a service van to keep the insurance a bit happier, mic for phone calls again insurance company will like it, less talking while driving tickets lol.
Processor- zapco dsp-z8 dc series 8 channel , 10 bands of eq per channel etc etc
amps- zapco ST-6X WITHOUT the dsp for tweeters, mid range, dash mounted mid bass, zapco 2000xmii monoblock for the two subwoofers, skar audio msk-200.1 for the underseat midbass
Tweeters- peerless by tymphany xt25sc90
mid range-hivi 2" dome close backed
mid bass set one- (4) dayton audio nd-140-8 5.25" (probably ported but unsure at this point)
mid bass set 2 - (2) Gr research 7" woofers (ported, tuned up farther in the intended band but port will be modified once we have it playing)
subwoofers- (2) 18" stereo integrity ht18v3-infinite baffle (ISH) AROUND 124cu ft on the other side of the wall (the entire van after the wall)

First up is the midbass enclosure…I know, that’s insane right? Why in the world would ANYONE bother with that? Especially for such a budget 7” driver!
Because I could- I wanted something that was a budget banger and I got the suggestion from this forum. It didn’t disappoint in sealed off but leaky doors in my car and I’m hoping a huge sealed box will open them up even more.

I originally built this box to be ported but after learning to use winisd so-so over the past while I decided to keep it sealed and hopefully be able to keep it tight and accurate with a fairly flat response but enough spl to please myself anyway, I have no idea how this will sound but from looking at it on a graph it doesn’t seem too bad .
2.8 cubic ft before displacement sealed is the final route here.
Riv nuts in the floor bolted down on top of deadener and foam . Resin coated seams and 5/8” threaded rod/tee nuts/washers bolts between each under seat box where the driver will be , firing into the footwell to hopefully pick up more cabin gain.

and it doubles as storage for my office supplies pens etc(going to put another layer on top of the center section, a tray lined with that toolbox foam I forget what it’s called.

EDIT: this enclosure actually ended up being partitioned off down the very center, ported and tuned to 50hz to get the best response i could from 50-150hz. No port noise, have some tinsel lead slap i need to tame! i think the drivers were made with too long of a tinsel lead honestly. considering the cost......i think ill just find a way to deal with that slap.
EDIT: again, the tuning is changing as i get all of this together just bare with me.

nevermind the washers and dryers this is my shop area, think ill make some scrap haulers day and give them away. EDIT: i did, now they just need to come get the other 47!

The rear of this box will slide up against a custom divider wall like you see in cargo vans, except mine will be made of wood and have something about 18” across hanging inside of it.

the rear of this box will have an amp rack on it with the sub basket between the amps, fans for the amps.
Covering it all in matching vinyl.
Wood Composite material Gas Hardwood Roof

Wood Gas Plant Shipping box Landscape

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The midbass themselves, gr research m-165x

I modeled a few sets I have around but this one always had a smoother graph and got low. I bought Dayton nd140-8 (4) of them a while back but they don’t graph as good as these with 4 drivers vs 2 so I’ll just use this old set .

here they are next to an ampere audio 8” sub, the picture makes them look bigger and they are not but they are beefy.

8ohm but sensitive. EDIT: as mentioned, i decided to run both sets the gr and the daytons. because, why not? and the midbass has to keep up with two monster 18s.
Audio equipment Gas Automotive tire Loudspeaker Auto part

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Plant Steering part

Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive mirror Automotive tire Vehicle
The tweets (peerless by tymphany xt25sc90) -budget as it gets but have rave reviews and I will say I agree.
These things are clear and crisp without hissing at you , they’re great.

mounted in a 2” pvc pipe cut down at an angle with a 2nd pvc ring with a split in it , about 3/4” removed from it so it will sit tight inside the pipe until it was epoxied in place. Ihad to do this to mount it with screws.

then just covered them with black vinyl for now until I can make it to the fabric store .
Just drilled two holes in the a pillar cover, one for my speaker wire, one for a toggle bolt, tightened it and it worked way better than lamp hardware . (I tried that one last time)

those are deadened inside just for kicks.I tend to go overboard.

the aim is decent since while I was building them I wittled them by going back and forth from car to shop to check fitment quite often, sure beats fiberglass! I remember having 40 hours in fiberglass pods for my mids and highs last time. they can be swiveled up and down but not side to side by loosening the toggle , moving them, retightening the toggle screw. Easy.

3khz amp crossover

all passives removed, will edit entire thread since i have now bought a dsp and things have changed drastically.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hear that about sitting in the van and wanting some tunes. I built a center console for my metris van. It has a JL 8 w7 and it fits right between the seats. It’s bolted down in 4 spots and the sub faces the rear so you really cant see anything. Now I have all the amps/ the dsp/ and distro blocks mounted on a panel behind the partition.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Comfort Car seat cover Head restraint

Reactions: JohnL2001

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel
The budget mid range, the good ole Dayton audio rs100p , I loved these on axis in my car but from preliminary listening I’m not impressed with them in this configuration, however being fair, I didn’t have any tuning or eqing and only listened for a few minutes thinking to myself “what is wrong here”?

I think it was just that I’m using a different amp than I did before , and I probably didn’t have the crossovers adjusted right, I was in a hurry at that point but I’ll revisit this later.
These were put into the van dash which has a pretty nice size pocket under it if your crazy like me and cut the driver side heater vent a smidge , ok, more like 4” which I deadened and built a sealed enclosure of approximately 0.4 cubic ft inside of just using deadener which isn’t the same as an actual enclosure but ….if I’m not impressed I’ll glass them in no problem. I get bored a lot. And the vent was sealed too btw.
They are FIRMLY attached to a 1/2” baffle that I made from the carboardish templates dodge was so considerate to leave me since this van came without dash speakers. Appreciate ya dodge!

they should sound great , but we will see. The tuning even without a dsp could be rough or easy I have no clue what will happen , I’m a noob at that portion of this game. But I’m having fun!

EDIT: THIS CHANGED OF COURSE, blew one of these mids and moved to the HIVI domes

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The sub, it’s going in the back wall above the amp rack but close toward the floor for stability. Wouldn’t want that thing above my head in a moving vehicle no thanks.

Some people swear by this in an infinite baffle configuration, I’m about to find out but technically it’ll only see about 48 cubic ft give or take after all of my shelving goes in the back.

yeah my tools will be in tool box foam and bags, my shelves lined with carpet and angled down at the back a bit to attempt to keep them from vibrating off the shelf.

hoping to do away with most of the rattles with enough deadener, foam, carpet, and a stiff and solid wall for this to sit in. (Needed a wall anyway )

riv nuts will be used for every connection , or at least I’ve bought the kit lol

EDIT: True to form, this changed too.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an old le wood double din head unit, but I do like it’s dsp, I’m already familiar with it,front rear sub out, doesn’t have 4 but luckily the amp will send the signal to however many inputs you choose to the others.
So the front set will cover mid or tweet or both technically since it has the option to adjust mids and tweeters on the front set I believe , although it doesn’t matter I’ll just put a high pass on both if necessary since the rs100p doesn’t sound too bad stand alone full range….this is why I’m using the components I am….only had to buy a sub and I have no dsp. Flexible transducers are nice in the situation.
Automotive design Gadget Home appliance Material property Gas

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
0guage in 4 gauge/0guage out.

this was completely unnecessary with the amount of power I’ll actually be using but vs what the amps should be capable of it is a different story.

my way is usually try to do it right from the get go so I don’t have to go back later. The amps CAN pull about 220-280 amps I presume.
The way I’m using them I would say I might pull 100 amps? Maybe.
IB sub , baby mid range and tweet, sensitive mid bass…I don’t think leaving the 150 amp anl in that came with the kit is a problem.
besides, it’s cca and we all know it won’t even carry a 2 volt head unit pre out signal (snickering, rolling eyes)

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Packing materials Material property Font Publication Rectangle

amps!
What can I say, they’re pretty but they don’t seem to have a great rep as far as power numbers go anymore.
Fine with me , it let me acquire them at a nice discount over the years in like absolutely new condition.
Even the negative reviews or the YouTube video with “ya boy” hifi Vega (which I completely respect and am a sub btw) couldn’t say they don’t sound good.
It’s like this, I don’t need the numbers they claim, in fact I’m pretty dang sure it’s just the st 4x and a two channel thrown into a longer case with padded numbers since the 4 channel is 65 watts @ 4ohm and that’s about what it dynoed at…. And I think we all know we don’t need huge power numbers here.

This is my work van not my spl van 😆

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear that about sitting in the van and wanting some tunes. I built a center console for my metris van. It has a JL 8 w7 and it fits right between the seats. It’s bolted down in 4 spots and the sub faces the rear so you really cant see anything. Now I have all the amps/ the dsp/ and distro blocks mounted on a panel behind the partition. View attachment 332506
That looks nice 👍 and I bet it makes the drives for work not so bad anymore….I’m secretly doing this so I stay at work and away from you know who 😆

jk

I’ve had a lot of different work vans with a lot of different companies and it’s rare to get one that’s as clean as yours….Same….can’t stand a dirty and unorganized work can even though at times I have to let it go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Computer Personal computer Product Rectangle Font
t
Computer Personal computer Rectangle Font Parallel

Personal computer Computer Rectangle Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Computer Parallel Personal computer

Personal computer Computer Rectangle Font Slope

Personal computer Computer Rectangle Font Computer monitor

Computer Personal computer Rectangle Computer monitor accessory Font
Toying around for a week off and on this is what I came up with for below 500hz

like I said I’m going to figure the mids out, it’s the amp, they were great on a lesser brand amp so I really hope this zapco doesn’t sound that dull.

let me know if I need to adjust please guys, as I said, long time listener, first time attempting a few of these things I am trying!

EDIT: These are trashed, they were garbage now that im learning how to use this program. Updated graphs will come although they really mean nothing compared to an actual RTA measurement.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That box looks huge, but
The midbass themselves, gr research m-165x

I modeled a few sets I have around but this one always had a smoother graph and got low. I bought Dayton nd140-8 (4) of them a while back but they don’t graph as good as these with 4 drivers vs 2 so I’ll just use this old set .

here they are next to an ampere audio 8” sub, the picture makes them look bigger and they are not but they are beefy.

8ohm but sensitive. View attachment 332498
If I am orienting this correctly, midbass is under seat and sub firing to the rear?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That box looks huge, but

If I am orienting this correctly, midbass is under seat and sub firing to the rear?
it is a little big, but it also functions as a place to store my pens/pads/etc

2.77cu tuned to 70ish I believe.
Fits under my seat firing tge 7” into the footwell but the woofers/ports are both as far left and right as possible to still have some stereo response.

I have worked on it some more and almost finished it but tested it before even gluing the top down- sounds pretty wicked to me….as winisd predicted it can’t handle much power below 50hz but that’s fine since I wanted it to go from 50-250hz and from listeneing to it I think I have accomplished that with eq cut/boosts and crossover points

it WILL play 50 with enough spl that you might think there is a 10” sub hiding somewhere but will also play Metallica or rock music in the 70-120hz music very well and no problem at around 220hz either , pretty loud but not loud loud that was the trade off. But keep in mind these aren’t rated power wise however winisd says they are good to only 55 watts each, these are 8ohm and my amp only claims to do 100 watts per channel 4 ohm plus the dyno of this amp that hifivega did Says it’s more like 78 watts per channel @4ohm.

so basically they have only 35-40 watts of power being supplied, if I bridge I can get 80 but I’m afraid to give it more -the 50hz area will kill them but again this ok my sub will pick up where these leave off.

keep in mind your definition of loud may be different than mine,all the same it’s louder than I would want to listen to daily, by design, I wanted it to be good for listening volumes but handle a bit of showing off also, it does ok, I can at least say I’ve never heard anyone’s mid bass this loud in a car anyway. I’m sure there are MUCH better.

it’s an sbb design from winisd, more transient oriented box design that still has a bit of boom.

could have went ib but I just felt like building I guess. Couldn’t let all that room under the seat go to waste and the last time I did my mid bass in door even after sealing them very well and putting loads of dynamat,on,in,under, everywhere then my mirrors rattled outside the car…..I didn’t want these in my doors again.

The sub WILL be ib , in the wall between the front seats. Magnet between seats bottoms.

it’s not fancy but it’s fun to play with enclosures and the software and see what you can make happen with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK

so this project has went from one thing to another

The need for more kicked in so i tested some new things out and at this point this is what we have....

Sticking with the same tweeters (tymphany xtsc90) but i have bought and tested another midrange (hivi 2" dome midrange) AND they are going in the sail panels powered off of a zapco st6x sq , also channel 5 and 6 will power a set of (4) dayton audio nd140-8 as "upper mid bass" custom fabricated into the dash. (ported enclosure)

During testing in small little test boxes that were only .13 cu ft i got that nice kick in the chest mid bass from these guys, coupled with the underseat 7" mid bass playing from 250 down to 50hz it is a beast ! a drum set has never sounded so good to me so this is the direction i am going.

A 5 way setup is a bit crazy, i only have 6 channels of amp for my front stage, so i have dug up a tiny 200 watt monoblock from my collection to handle the underseat mid bass, i will only play those guys from 50-150 to keep them from sounding directional and the (4) 5 1/4"ers on the dash tie that sound to my dash seamlessly in my opinion it doesnt matter if i play them from 50-250 but i will probably take the dash mid bass from 100-150 to 250 because all im really looking for with those are snare drums and such no kick drum is really needed from these it is well supported by the underseat 7" woofers already.

also i found a great deal on an older zapco dc series dsp-z8 to make this all work, the only problem i am running into is having to possibly split channels 7/8 for my underseat mid bass amp and sub amp. but i will move forward with this project none the less.

started on the sail panels for the tweeters and dome mids yesterday, aiming is an insanely hard thing to do ! but its within my bullseye ( a nice piece of cardboard with a couple of bullseyes on it lol , one for mid and one bullseye for tweeter,hung directly in center of the vehicle, and aimed right at ear level height wise and depth wise) using the tool i bought a few years back from CAF with the laser pointer that kind of mounts onto the speaker or speaker ring in my case, i will continue to zero it in to perfection hopefully when i get more time away from work and family duties. Then i will stretch fabric and resin it all in, shaping as i go.

FOR NOW this is what the sails look like, however once they are finished being aimed- i think i will cut them down to a more traditional teardrop shape, however the shape they are now was necessary to figure out how i would mount them, aim them etc .

Lots of work, but if i get this right , the rest falls into place in my opinion.

Wood Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Font

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got bored driving 30 minutes to an hour plus to each of my service calls for work.

so I decided to put these pieces of equipment from various “budget-whatever that means- projects” in my work…..VAN lol

I’m not much of a tech spec guy whenwe’re talking crossover types or the deep deep knowledge that some of you guys have here (actually had to ask here what order crossover was in my amp)

BUT I do love good sounding music and I’m not afraid to try much.which usually lands me paying twice as much but learning half ass how to do whatever it was.

so here is my one week project (so call it three weeks)

if I show up bangin to fix your washing machine never mind me I’m just having a good day my friend although I’m not sure how this is going to affect my business when my customers get drowned in sound at the red light.

well sort of, it is a budget system after all.

First up is the midbass enclosure…I know, that’s insane right? Why in the world would ANYONE bother with that? Especially for such a budget 7” driver!
Because I could- I wanted something that was a budget banger and I got the suggestion from this forum. It didn’t disappoint in sealed off but leaky doors in my car and I’m hoping a huge sealed box will open them up even more.

I originally built this box to be ported but after learning to use winisd so-so over the past while I decided to keep it sealed and hopefully be able to keep it tight and accurate with a fairly flat response but enough spl to please myself anyway, I have no idea how this will sound but from looking at it on a graph it doesn’t seem too bad .
2.8 cubic ft before displacement sealed is the final route here.
Riv nuts in the floor bolted down on top of deadener and foam . Resin coated seams and 5/8” threaded rod/tee nuts/washers bolts between each under seat box where the driver will be , firing into the footwell to hopefully pick up more cabin gain.

and it doubles as storage for my office supplies pens etc(going to put another layer on top of the center section, a tray lined with that toolbox foam I forget what it’s called.

nevermind the washers and dryers this is my shop area.
The rear of this box will slide up against a custom divider wall like you see in cargo vans, except mine will be made of wood and have something about 18” across hanging inside of it.

the rear of this box will have an amp rack on it with the sub basket between the amps, fans for the amps.
Covering it all in matching vinyl. View attachment 332496
View attachment 332497 View attachment 332496 View attachment 332497 View attachment 332496 View attachment 332497
That looks pretty damn good. Especially for just a work van.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just finished (ha!!! It will never be completely finished!!!) my first car system in my 2009 work truck. Once I learned about speaker box sound curve, I gave up on building my own boxes. Wished I would've though. Hell keep going. Ignore the snobby haters on here. I've gotten more hate than help because of the brand I chose.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hood Automotive tire Leaf Plant Automotive lighting

No need to roast me for my avengers comforter!!!!!!!!!! i used the blankie from my work van that i use to lay down when laying an appliance over to block out the sun so that i could see the laser!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts