DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part

The back of my van is filling up fast, and is a real mess, the partition wall has to be finished before building shelving though unfortunately so i will just have to do what i can until the audio is done ! im hard headed!

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
Progressing nicely...!

Reactions: JohnL2001

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just finished (ha!!! It will never be completely finished!!!) my first car system in my 2009 work truck. Once I learned about speaker box sound curve, I gave up on building my own boxes. Wished I would've though. Hell keep going. Ignore the snobby haters on here. I've gotten more hate than help because of the brand I chose.
If someone chooses to be that way, then that is their business.

As the saying goes i believe, your opinion of me is none of my business!

This build log is for one thing and one thing only......to keep me motivated!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Transfer function graph for subs, lower midbass and upper midbass with all things taken into consideration MINUS cabin gain….I guess I’ll deal with that as it comes.

imo this is just me looking at things from a perspective of “if I actually WANT it flat, will it be able to do it?”

but I doubt I want it that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Looks like fun :) thanks for sharing!
While building stuff like this I’m always thinking I can’t wait to hear this

But once I get it together it seems like every time I either want more out of it or just can’t seem to leave things alone because I like to build.

I guess that’s how we all are maybe this time it’ll stick

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Obviously sound quality from an iPhone tells you nothing about the sound quality of the vehicle

but you can hear the mic distort when the air pressure hits it, that’s the 7” mid bass only ....the dash mid bass are not there neither is a sub.

they get down , but only lower in the mid bass range.

oh, and the hivi domes combined with the tymphany tweets are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN sounding, every whisper you hear, every breathe on the mic or off of it for that matter, water drops sound like water drops, etc etc

could not be happier with the mid range/tweeter combo!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Transfer function graph for subs, lower midbass and upper midbass with all things taken into consideration MINUS cabin gain….I guess I’ll deal with that as it comes.

imo this is just me looking at things from a perspective of “if I actually WANT it flat, will it be able to do it?”

but I doubt I want it that way.
p.s., i know this isnt flat at 0 , thats the 5db boost i plan to run in that area when all is said and done, it CAN go perfectly flat......which with 8 bass/midbass speakers i should certainly hope that to be the case. lmao

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I got bored driving 30 minutes to an hour plus to each of my service calls for work.

so I decided to put these pieces of equipment from various “budget-whatever that means- projects” in my work…..VAN lol

I’m not much of a tech spec guy whenwe’re talking crossover types or the deep deep knowledge that some of you guys have here (actually had to ask here what order crossover was in my amp)

BUT I do love good sounding music and I’m not afraid to try much.which usually lands me paying twice as much but learning half ass how to do whatever it was.

so here is my one week project (so call it three weeks)

if I show up bangin to fix your washing machine never mind me I’m just having a good day my friend although I’m not sure how this is going to affect my business when my customers get drowned in sound at the red light.

well sort of, it is a budget system after all.

First up is the midbass enclosure…I know, that’s insane right? Why in the world would ANYONE bother with that? Especially for such a budget 7” driver!
Because I could- I wanted something that was a budget banger and I got the suggestion from this forum. It didn’t disappoint in sealed off but leaky doors in my car and I’m hoping a huge sealed box will open them up even more.

I originally built this box to be ported but after learning to use winisd so-so over the past while I decided to keep it sealed and hopefully be able to keep it tight and accurate with a fairly flat response but enough spl to please myself anyway, I have no idea how this will sound but from looking at it on a graph it doesn’t seem too bad .
2.8 cubic ft before displacement sealed is the final route here.
Riv nuts in the floor bolted down on top of deadener and foam . Resin coated seams and 5/8” threaded rod/tee nuts/washers bolts between each under seat box where the driver will be , firing into the footwell to hopefully pick up more cabin gain.

and it doubles as storage for my office supplies pens etc(going to put another layer on top of the center section, a tray lined with that toolbox foam I forget what it’s called.

nevermind the washers and dryers this is my shop area.
The rear of this box will slide up against a custom divider wall like you see in cargo vans, except mine will be made of wood and have something about 18” across hanging inside of it.

the rear of this box will have an amp rack on it with the sub basket between the amps, fans for the amps.
Covering it all in matching vinyl. View attachment 332496
View attachment 332497 View attachment 332496 View attachment 332497 View attachment 332496 View attachment 332497
I hear that about sitting in the van and wanting some tunes. I built a center console for my metris van. It has a JL 8 w7 and it fits right between the seats. It’s bolted down in 4 spots and the sub faces the rear so you really cant see anything. Now I have all the amps/ the dsp/ and distro blocks mounted on a panel behind the partition. View attachment 332506
I think i like the fact theres a 12 pack of bud in the passenger seat even more than i like your enclosure lol

put a seatbelt on that baby!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
The ugly side of custom installation, sometimes it gets messy .

unfortunately i have door handles in the way, so the baffle will have to be cut in a way to avoid those, thats what the big indention near the top outer corners is. Work more on this when the actual baffle starts to be built.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Plant Car Window Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper

Water Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

World Font Tints and shades Signage Space

Automotive tire Tire Fender Font Tints and shades

Cloud Font Tints and shades Electric blue Sky
Fabbing up my wall, I decided it to be a bit smarter to do this first since I need to figure out lengths for my signal cables, amp rack layout, and it would be nice to have the wall in when figuring out final driver placement with cabin gain factored in (also rear fill may be a pita)

and the great thing about what I’m using for templates is that I may well sandwich a couple of these in between 2 layers of mdf/oak and get a nice r value out of it for the hvac system so it has to do less work 😂

yes it’s a mess and my ocd is kicking in but I’ll clean it up.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts