DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

I guess focal but...

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  oabeieo 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the experience with these 2 sets? Supposedly much different between the 3. Focal utiopia number 6 2 way vs focal eskxrx3 or the focal kx3. Many people say kx3 are much better sound than the krx3? Any ideas?

#4 ·
The Focal 165-KRX3 is the old version of the their K2 Line. Nice 3-way setup, if you can find a good deal on a used set (and there are some good deals out there, on this).

The Focal ES165-KX3 is the new version of their K2 Line. The main difference is that they replaced the tweeter with the new M-Dome. Haven't heard them, but apparently an improvement over the previous version.

The Focal #6 Utopia is a totally different animal from the above two... hard to really compare them. However, if I could get the Utopia #6 (2-way) for the same price as a KRX (3-way) set; I would take the Utopia 2-way. That's just me.

Here's a bit of a 'dinosaur analogy':
If you want wicked loud with pounding midbass, then go with the KRX set.
If you want incredibly clean sound quality, then go with the Utopia set.

Not to say the KRX doesn't sound good. It does. And not to say that the Utopias can't play loud. They can.
They're just designed for different things...

The rest of your equipment, and overall system will help determine what speakers are best for you.
At the end of the day... both sets will sound like ****, if you have a cheap amplifier, and a crappy install.

#6 ·
Thanks jimmydee, I'm currently running focal flax 3way ps165f3 front stage, es130k2 components in rear doors, 2 mosconi gladen d2 100.4 amps, helix dsp pro mk2 in a GMC Sierra Denali. I just don't like the front stage flax for some reason. It's like they should be called flats instead of flax. I was just curious about others opinion. What the heck are old neos? I used to, 23 years ago, liked Mb quartz

#10 ·
Neodymium has more dense magnetic strength and is more expensive. You can get away with a smaller magnet of neodymium to give you the same magnetic strength of a larger ferrite magnet but the driver will be more expensive. The magnet material has absolutely no bearing on the sound quality or signature, it is simply an engineering design decision and you can make an amazing driver with either material.

#12 ·
I heard them both side by side on a sound board and I thought the older version sounded much better and they all agreed but said the only reason was because the new versions hadent been broken in enough. The older ones had been in for years and the newer ones have only been in for a few months

#13 ·
The speakers should have been fully broken in with even moderate usage during that month. The dealer was probably just teying to save a sale by saying the new one hadn’t fully broken in yet while kicking themselves from not removing the old ones. :)

One thing you need to realize is that when a speaker is put in a room or car, the sound will change. The reflections off the wall, ceiling, floor, windows, roof, dash, console, etc will all affect the sound, which means that the sound you hear on the board won’t be the same sound you hear in the car. But if that’s all that you have to work with meaning the speakers aren’t installed in a car, at least you do get to hear them before buying them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.