DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this because I am sure it may seem dumb to most, but does whats the best type of wire to use for the remote turn on? I have searched and not found anything.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doesn't really make a difference. All you're looking for is a +12v signal to turn the amp on, there isn't any real load on the remote so you can get away with using thin wire if you want.

In my current setup I'm using some 24 awg.

If you want things pretty use 18awg blue wire.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I agree, any wire would work for a remote turn on....when I've had nothing else available, I have even used speaker wire.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You could use speaker wire.

As long as their is proper insulation on it to protect it from any edges where it is running past.

You can buy a roll of wire at fleet farm. 16 gauge would be nice.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Mine is a single strand of 16g speaker wire (wouldn't waste a twisted pair) but the side by side (lamp cord) -just peal a strand and hook it up cleanly with a butt connect to the HU harness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
when doing mine i used speaker wire. just rip it down the middle so you have 1 individual wire instead of the 2 and youll be golden =)

·
Registered
636 Posts
16ga would be overkill.
and there is nothing wrong with that.

that is why I use 14 awg for my remote turn on for 3 amps.

300 watts on each mid

50 watts on each tweeter

500 watts on my sub (not really overkill)

and have bass shakers screwed into my floorpan with 50 watts each

if you're not going to do it overkill, don't bother doing it at all. my opinion. :D

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i bought some scosche wire from walmart for about 5 bucks. it was silver and blue, so i pulled the blue strand off and used that. it was either 18 or 16 gauge, I don't remember, but it was flexible and the color I wanted, so whatever.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts