DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But... I need an answer quickly. I am buying a half din EQ which has a crossover switch for 60 or 90 HZ. It doesnt have the option to turn it off. I like to cross at 80 HZ. Could I put it on 60 HZ for the crossover and then 80 HZ on the amp? I know your not supposed to cross the same signal twice at the same frequency but if its at a different frequency I dont know if the same rule applies. The crossover is a clarion EQS746.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Set the EQ to 90 and the amp to 80.

It is not that you arent supposed to crossover the same freq twice you will just have a much steeper roll-off above 90hz.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exuse my ignorance but why would I set the one on the EQ to 90 insted of 60 and just use the filter on the amp? Doing it this way would send a signal to the amp that plays down to 60 and the amp can take care of the crossover from there?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a low pass crossover.

·
Banned
62 Posts
90 at the din and then 80 at the amp...like the other dude said.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well if you set the cross over at 60, then your amp will cross at 60 because the 80hz you want will already be attenuated. If you set it for 90, 80 will pass through to the amp and then you can cross at 80.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh snap, the lowpass is for the sub then right? Hell I had them confused I had it in my mind that it was a high pass. Silly me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if you set the cross over at 60, then your amp will cross at 60 because the 80hz you want will already be attenuated. If you set it for 90, 80 will pass through to the amp and then you can cross at 80.
Yep that makes since. I need to think about what I'm reading a little more. :)

·
Banned
62 Posts
Oh snap, the lowpass is for the sub then right? Hell I had them confused I had it in my mind that it was a high pass. Silly me.

the term 'low pass' doesn't mean that the x-over is meant for a sub. You know that right?

'low pass' means that when you set your x-over at a point (like 90hz) it lets all the lower frequencies pass through.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, which in this case should be for the sub out i believe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man, I had a brain fart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts