DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used Kicker subs, I think because the first system I heard that was really loud used Kickers and I liked them so they became my go to. I've had other brands peppered in, but always back to Kicker. The first truly good subwoofer (one that was loud and sounded good) was a Solo Baric L% 12. Banged on it for 7 years until I sold it to "upgrade" to a L7.

Shortly after I sold the L5, Kicker quit making L5s. Now they had the L7 and the trashy joke of the L3. (yes there was an L3 and yes it was terrible. I'm convinced that Kicker quit making L5 subs to sell more of the more profitable L7. Why buy an L7 when 2 L5s will play louder, cost less, and sound so much sweeter.

The L7 was not an upgrade in SQ. The L7 was louder but just didn't sound as good to me. I still kick myself for selling that L5 without fully grasping there were SQ subs and SPL subs. I was so young I just had no idea. After a long time, I partly got used to the L7 and also got a DSP to even it out. I was good again.

After using that L7 for I estemate 12-14 years, I was driving with the volume low and it just cut out. It was locked up. I used it and the box for a TV stand for 2 or 3 years when I stumble on the idea that subs were rebuildable. I never considered it. Everything glued into an ultra stiff structure didn't seem rebuildable.

I took the L7 apart and I was so mad at Kicker. They used some kind of stiff and brittle plastic to wind the voice coil. It fell apart locking up my sub. Every single person involved in making that sub knew that piece would fail way before everything else. Way before everything else.

This speaker will last a very long time I can hear the people behind the L7 say. Someone else pipes in "wind the voice coil around this brittle bak-a-lite looking ****. That'll fix that.

I'm still using the rebuilt L7 and it sounds ok and bangs hard. It's rated for 750 watts RMS. At times I listen to it wide open and my amp puts out a solid, measurable 1500 watts RMS. I want a new sub and the plan was the L7 would blow pretty quickly and I can get my 2 15s.

Well, the L7 seems to love the double serving of wattage.

Now here I am confused. I want a new sub but have a perfectly good one.

I'm gonna take score here -

Loved Kicker since I was a kid.

Got the L5 and loved Kicker more.

Sold L5 and bought L7. Not happy.

Soon Kicker quits making L5s. Really unhappy.

Kicker puts a fragile plastic bobbin in an L7 knowing it'll fail. Piping mad.

Rebuild sub and still don't really like how it sounds. Still piping mad.

Don't want sub and sub won't die. Why did you build it so well? More annoyed than mad.

When this sub finally goes I don't know what I'll do.

Kicker makes good subs. They screwed their customers over by quitting making their best sub to get the big bucks from the very expensive and off sounding L7 but was loud. Put a plastic voice coil former in my sub so I would have to spend another 6 or 7 hundred on new subs. Screw you Kicker.

Kicker blows like any other profit driven corporation now. They built a sub I abused for 12 years. Rebuilt. Have abused much much worse for 2 more years and it it still won't die.

**** Kicker and tjheir shady practices.

ut on the other hand, I've been abusing the same sub for 20 years. I might buy another.

· Registered
1967 Pontiac Firebird
42 Posts
Not sure what vehicle you have or if you ever thought about going with an infinite baffle setup but when modeled in WinISD the L7s look like they would work really well. I've also heard of some people running them in an IB that were really happy with them. That would definitely help sound quality and give you some more low end.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what vehicle you have or if you ever thought about going with an infinite baffle setup but when modeled in WinISD the L7s look like they would work really well. I've also heard of some people running them in an IB that were really happy with them. That would definitely help sound quality and give you some more low end.
I was under the impression that the specs of the L7 don't lend themselves very well to infinite baffle. I will consider that.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I've always used Kicker subs, I think because the first system I heard that was really loud used Kickers and I liked them so they became my go to. I've had other brands peppered in, but always back to Kicker. The first truly good subwoofer (one that was loud and sounded good) was a Solo Baric L% 12. Banged on it for 7 years until I sold it to "upgrade" to a L7.

Shortly after I sold the L5, Kicker quit making L5s. Now they had the L7 and the trashy joke of the L3. (yes there was an L3 and yes it was terrible. I'm convinced that Kicker quit making L5 subs to sell more of the more profitable L7. Why buy an L7 when 2 L5s will play louder, cost less, and sound so much sweeter.

The L7 was not an upgrade in SQ. The L7 was louder but just didn't sound as good to me. I still kick myself for selling that L5 without fully grasping there were SQ subs and SPL subs. I was so young I just had no idea. After a long time, I partly got used to the L7 and also got a DSP to even it out. I was good again.

After using that L7 for I estemate 12-14 years, I was driving with the volume low and it just cut out. It was locked up. I used it and the box for a TV stand for 2 or 3 years when I stumble on the idea that subs were rebuildable. I never considered it. Everything glued into an ultra stiff structure didn't seem rebuildable.

I took the L7 apart and I was so mad at Kicker. They used some kind of stiff and brittle plastic to wind the voice coil. It fell apart locking up my sub. Every single person involved in making that sub knew that piece would fail way before everything else. Way before everything else.

This speaker will last a very long time I can hear the people behind the L7 say. Someone else pipes in "wind the voice coil around this brittle bak-a-lite looking ****. That'll fix that.

I'm still using the rebuilt L7 and it sounds ok and bangs hard. It's rated for 750 watts RMS. At times I listen to it wide open and my amp puts out a solid, measurable 1500 watts RMS. I want a new sub and the plan was the L7 would blow pretty quickly and I can get my 2 15s.

Well, the L7 seems to love the double serving of wattage.

Now here I am confused. I want a new sub but have a perfectly good one.

I'm gonna take score here -

Loved Kicker since I was a kid.

Got the L5 and loved Kicker more.

Sold L5 and bought L7. Not happy.

Soon Kicker quits making L5s. Really unhappy.

Kicker puts a fragile plastic bobbin in an L7 knowing it'll fail. Piping mad.

Rebuild sub and still don't really like how it sounds. Still piping mad.

Don't want sub and sub won't die. Why did you build it so well? More annoyed than mad.

When this sub finally goes I don't know what I'll do.

Kicker makes good subs. They screwed their customers over by quitting making their best sub to get the big bucks from the very expensive and off sounding L7 but was loud. Put a plastic voice coil former in my sub so I would have to spend another 6 or 7 hundred on new subs. Screw you Kicker.

Kicker blows like any other profit driven corporation now. They built a sub I abused for 12 years. Rebuilt. Have abused much much worse for 2 more years and it it still won't die.

**** Kicker and tjheir shady practices.

ut on the other hand, I've been abusing the same sub for 20 years. I might buy another.
That's a Kapton voice coil former, I melted mine on the original Competition 12's after 13 years of abuse.
I used to love the sound of Kicker subs, until I heard better subs. The best bang for the buck option right now is Stereo Integrity SQL series, also check out CSS Audio SDX12's and Adire Audio XBL^2 models (Brahma, Tumult, and Kali), any of those will put that Kicker to shame.

· Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Sounds like the evil girlfriend that you keep going back to, just dump her azz (once and for all), and a new one (sub) will come along that knows how to treat you right...!

· Registered
1,902 Posts
Kicker Q Class is the best sub they have ever made for SQ and still good for everyday beating.. but while i am a lifelong fan of their amplifiers.. the subs i also agree you can do better for the price..

Their speakers are probably the worst of the 3 items (amps, speakers, subs) Q class speakers might be an exception.. i have not tired those..

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a Kapton voice coil former, I melted mine on the original Competition 12's after 13 years of abuse.
I used to love the sound of Kicker subs, until I heard better subs. The best bang for the buck option right now is Stereo Integrity SQL series, also check out CSS Audio SDX12's and Adire Audio XBL^2 models (Brahma, Tumult, and Kali), any of those will put that Kicker to shame.
Thank you for seeing the amount of money I'm spending and not recommend thousand dollar subs.

· Registered
2,649 Posts
Haven’t liked kicker since the round solobaric lines but have heartd the q class is very good. I would have to get a deal to try them at this point. For a while i would not touch anything kicker but they seem to be doing several things much better. The key products a q class come to mind

· Registered
04 Cadillac CTS- Helix V8- RF Type RFX7-AF GB10/25/60- Kicker CompVR 10”
98 Posts
I too have been battling this “do I stick with what I know works”. I’ve heard every line of the square solo barics. The last sub I had was the 12” solo x on 1300w. It could take 2500rms so I was basically teasing it, but that was all my stock electrical could handle and even then it was taxing it. I’ve yet to hear a single sub that could hit as hard (SPL) as that one did. Granted I’ve never been to any audio competitions or anything but as for other guys with systems that had 2 12s or 15s in my area, I was just as loud if not louder. Can’t recall how many times I’d have to pop the trunk and show people it was only one sub, they wouldn’t believe me until they seen it.

Still on the fence about getting the new re-release of solo x, the L7X, whenever kicker releases it in a few months or just ditching my 32hz ported box and delve into more SQ to an IB dual 12” setup.

Something in my gut is telling me to wait until they release it to make a final decision. Want to look at the T/S parameters to see if it’s same as the old one I had and will drop right into my old box. Have a feeling they’re going to put many many other subs to shame. Especially the 3” excursion they’ll have!

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Thank you for seeing the amount of money I'm spending and not recommend thousand dollar subs.
To be fair, some of those Adire subs are pretty expensive.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I too have been battling this “do I stick with what I know works”. I’ve heard every line of the square solo barics. The last sub I had was the 12” solo x on 1300w. It could take 2500rms so I was basically teasing it, but that was all my stock electrical could handle and even then it was taxing it. I’ve yet to hear a single sub that could hit as hard (SPL) as that one did. Granted I’ve never been to any audio competitions or anything but as for other guys with systems that had 2 12s or 15s in my area, I was just as loud if not louder. Can’t recall how many times I’d have to pop the trunk and show people it was only one sub, they wouldn’t believe me until they seen it.

Still on the fence about getting the new re-release of solo x, the L7X, whenever kicker releases it in a few months or just ditching my 32hz ported box and delve into more SQ to an IB dual 12” setup.

Something in my gut is telling me to wait until they release it to make a final decision. Want to look at the T/S parameters to see if it’s same as the old one I had and will drop right into my old box. Have a feeling they’re going to put many many other subs to shame. Especially the 3” excursion they’ll have!
3 inch excursion, from Kicker?! I doubt that very much, likely peak to peak Xmech.

· Registered
2,802 Posts
The worst looking 3" flex ever. That thing is a plastic ribbed turd. 7 cuft. Jeeze. Kicker is just sad these days. Just remake the old solos and free airs and they would be better than the plastic fantastic stuff they make today

· Registered
4,298 Posts
You must’ve never seen an old solo x in action…
New one looks better.
3 inch peak to peak Xmech, just like I said. That will translate to 21-25 mm one-way linear.

Reactions: dcfis

· Registered
4,298 Posts
You must’ve never seen an old solo x in action…
New one looks better.
The only thing anyone needs to know about Kicker's Xmax measurements is this - they don't publish them - because they can't compete.

Reactions: dcfis

· Registered
04 Cadillac CTS- Helix V8- RF Type RFX7-AF GB10/25/60- Kicker CompVR 10”
98 Posts
The only thing anyone needs to know about Kicker's Xmax measurements is this - they don't publish them - because they can't compete.
I just wasted 2 minutes of my life looking at kicker’s website. Every sub I looked at on their website has T/S parameters including Xmas. 🧐 I had to double check your facts because I didn’t think a big brand like kicker would stoop so low. Or possibly you just didn’t look hard enough?

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I just wasted 2 minutes of my life looking at kicker’s website. Every sub I looked at on their website has T/S parameters including Xmas. I had to double check your facts because I didn’t think a big brand like kicker would stoop so low. Or possibly you just didn’t look hard enough?
Downloaded a couple of pdf's, no Xmax. (L7')

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I just wasted 2 minutes of my life looking at kicker’s website. Every sub I looked at on their website has T/S parameters including Xmas. I had to double check your facts because I didn’t think a big brand like kicker would stoop so low. Or possibly you just didn’t look hard enough?
Got a link?
Edit: Found them, 21.5 mm Xmax for the 15" L7. Not impressed at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts