DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It says there is no dumb question. So here it goes, I currently have 1 run of 4 awg going to my Cerwin-Vega SX500.1 (500 rms).I plan on upgrading my amp to something around 1200-1500 rms when I get back from afghanistan, I could just replace my existing with 0 gauge but would it be unheard of or wrong to just make another run of 4 ga? The reason is because I have enough wire in my garage to make this happen. Also what would 2 -4ga wire be equal to ie 0ga, 2ga,? and last if I were to do this and run the 2 4 ga wires into the outputs of a digital distribution block and have the 0 ga input be my output to the amp......would it read the correct voltage? or am I just way off on this whole idea?!?! any advice would be much appreciated.
Dennis

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
that would work perfectly fine. 4ga has 22 sqmm of area and 2 runs equate to a single run of 1 ga. you would need 3 runs to equate to 1/0 ga, but I think that is really overkill for a 1500 watt system.

your digital meter style d-block will work fine that way. there is really no "backwards" since it is essentially a big chunk of metal.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Distance of the run is also an important factor.

All your questions answered here:

(*note; even this info is not 100% accurate. Take the 'watts and cable' this would only be true depending on average current draw by efficiencies of the power supplies, Digital amps can have less cable per watt due to higher efficiency VS AB ....but this is just pulling hairs IMO)

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

And I assume you are in afghanistan on some sort of vacation???
(*Take care seriously)

~JH

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's actually a better idea that running larger wire if you ask me. Use what you have instead of casting it aside and buying more stuff. It's just thinking logically if you ask me. I'm sure some car audio snobs would say that you'll induce noise buy running two wires or something dumb like that but I tend to not listen to them.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Some do that just because it is easier to install more smaller wire than one large. Long as it will carry the current you need it will work fine. Make sure you fuse each wire for its capacity of course.

If you go to bcae1.com and to the 'wire' page there is a chart that will give you a good idea on what wire will run how much power for class AB and class D. Also has calculators there. If you put the block close to the amp you can often run a smaller wire long as it is short. If you play with the calculator on that page it will show the differences. Most of that is 0.5v drop limit that would not be audible in dB from an amp.
WIRE

·
Registered
898 Posts
What quality wire we talking about? Some 4 gauge can be a good 8 gauge >_<

·
Registered
5 Posts
A good 4ga wire (knukonceptz,stinger or your kicker) will be fine with a 150a current draw, but what other amp are you using? You could benefit from a wire upgrade. Single run of 0ga is capable of 350a depending on brand and strand count. And its easier to drill a bigger whole in the firewall than trying to drill multiple wholes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts