1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is what i am hooking up

Amp
Arc Audio Foose FD2200 Bridged 360 watts @ 4 ohms
eBay Motors: Arc Audio FD2200 Amp New in Box Chip Foose Design CHEAP (item 130304503838 end time Jun-03-09 19:01:39 PDT)

Sub
10 in" Memphis Audio shallow Mount sub
Single Coil, 300w nom /600w peak
SClass Subwoofers from Memphis Car Audio

This is where i have a TON of questions but i will start with the most basic
I am trying to make sure it is all hooked up proper so i am bridged correctly and running at 4 ohms. I will try to explain how they shop set it up and then i will explain how the arc audio manual says to set this up.

Shops way

Sub positive to amp right channel positive
Sub negative to amp left channel negative
Out of Full/High/Low it is set to Low
Out of Stereo/Bridged (R IN)/ L + R Sum it is set to Bridged (R IN)

the Amp Manual Says to set it like so

Sub Positive to amp Left Channel Negative
Sub Negative to amp Right Channel Positive
Full/High/Low set to Low
Stereo/Bridged (R IN)/ L + R Sum set to L + R Sum

So in the end both give sound but i want my **** wired as it is supposed to be. Has anyone have any idea why in the Arc Audio manual they would have pos going to neg and neg going to positive and whats the diff between Bridged (R IN) and L+R Sum?

I hope i explained clearly enough but if i can knock this one out i can move on to other less important issues such as feq settings lol.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Could be a typo. Look them up online and call Arc. they have tech support. They will most likely explain the hows and why's.

Would answer but not familiar with the Arc amps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i will give them a call today, i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of bridging an amp in the way the instruction manual discribes..

I guess while i wait to talk to them can anyone tell me anything about what sub freq it should be set at? I'm reading up on it now but some heads up would be appreciated :) should the HU sub Freq be set the same as the Amp sub freq?

·
Registered
26 Posts
bridge (R in) vs L+R sum

what this means is that the first setting is the amp being configured as a mono amp and only listening to the right side input from the rca on the amp. so this means that all you need is one side rca to one amp and if you run another amp, configure it the same way, but put the left side in the right side in on the amp. the L+R sum means that it's configured as a mono amp but listening to both sides of the rca and will play everything it hears from the left and right rca.

second question.

crossover on the amp is better then crossover on the deck. but if you want it to be much more easier for you to tune and you like to tweek your settings because you like to listen to different kinds of music, then set it on the deck. for me personally, i set it on the deck because i listen to a lot of different kind of music and most times i have to crossover my subs anywhere from 60 hz - 120 hz. just cause some songs don't play that low.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so if I am just running 1 sub I would want to run it in L+R Sum then? Also it sounds like either mode will work in bridges mode, I know the amp is supposed to put out 4 ohms bridged and I wanted to make sure that one setting did do only 2 ohms. So I just need to call about the wiring then and why they have pos going to neg. As far as freq there is slot I need to learn, like why do I have a 1x or 10x switch and if it's best just to turn the dsp off and only use the amp xovers fir a xlearner sound. It was also suggested that I get a single bass crossover as that will help the bass sound more pure

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ok so if I am just running 1 sub I would want to run it in L+R Sum then?
Yes.

So I just need to call about the wiring then and why they have pos going to neg.
No, you don't, really.

If you have a sub wired + to + on the amp, it should move out with a positive pulse. If you reverse the polarity, it will move IN with a positive pulse, so it is considered to be 180 degrees out of phase.

But in a car, all you should do is listen one way and then listen the other way, and leave it the way that sounds better. Phase is a timing thing, and your sub is usually far enough away from you that changing polarity from standard to reverse may be a big difference (it may also be a big detriment, or it may not matter at all, but it usually easy to test - so test it rather than talking about it too much is my advice).

Regardless of which way you wire it - standard or reverse - the wiring is FINE as far as the amp is concerned.

Man, if this is tough, imagine how running 2 DVC woofers in series parallel would have been for ya... :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i burned out the voice coil on the sub :( less then 24 hours figures... not sure how i did it... the amp is 380 rms @ 4 ohmes and the sub 300 nom / 500 peak.. the gain up about 50%... not sure what i did... anyone got any ideas so i don't burn up the next one?? What causes the voice coil to burn up like that... could the amp be too powerful for the sub?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
checked the amp settings the feq was set to about 80ish, bass boost was turned up 1/3 way to max... any settings in the HU that could of done it? I had the HU feq set the same as the amp feq... i may of had the bass control on the HU turned up a bit though but would that be enough to fry it if it was a brand new sub?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
What kind of music were you listening to? what type of sub box, how big (volume), how loud were you jamming when it went? I hate the bass boost on amps. How long had you been playing music when it happened. Shallow mount subs are generally not the most robust speakers out there. There are a lot of trade offs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets see i was listening to some hip hop, box was made out of "MDF"?? volume? i have no idea the box size is width 11 in hight 11 in Depth 7in.. i don't know how to translate that into volume.. music was playing for about hmm an hour.. had the HU cranked up to about 20 to 25ish... maybe i played it too loud during it's break in period? Maybe i shouldn't go thru the HU for crossover settings and def not boost the base with it.. i don't know this is a new world to me all and all

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Based on 11X11X7 external, assuming it's .75" MDF, that gives you a .28 cubic foot enclosure volume not counting sub displacement. Well under their .35 minumum. A box that size would have a hell of a time trying to reproduce any deep bass.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so if the box was to small could that turn out to be one of the issues of it's demise? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole volume thing... it's a shallow mount sub that supposed to be able to fit in a small box, if the box was any bigger it seems like it would be the size of a reg 10in sub box from what i have seen... the depth is perfect for my trunk though i could go longer but how would i figure out if it was 7in deep and 11 inches wide how long would i have to make it to get .75 cubic feet of airspace?

and as far as not knowing how to measure that out... well we all start someplace :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NM box should of been 24X12X7 may not of caused the burnout but may of caused me to turn it up to get louder bass then what was needed

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
So the outside measurements were 24X12X7? Sealed box right? this box for one woofer with bass boost at the amp and at the HU is what most likely caused the death of your sub. The larger box combined with the boost and the type of music probably caused the poor sub to just over excursion. I bet if you were yo open your trunk, you would have heard some serious mechanical noise. You have enough room for a normal sub. hell you could even port it and most likely be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no the box they had in there was 11X11X7 which = about .28 cubic feet of airspace, well below the min of .38 that the makes suggests and far below .79... so the box was actually too small.. it was a sealed box.. those measurements of 24x12x7 where for the recommended .79 and that itself would pretty much fill my trunk up completely.. it's a little Miata after all ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts