DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read, the overwhelming consensus is that they are worthless. One aspect I have not heard mentioned is maximum discharge rate.

I agree with what people say. Not gonna do **** for your dimming lights - agreed. It's surprising how many trusted companies still say that ****.

I couldn't find numbers unfortunately, but say you were able to put a perfect zero ohm load on a car battery. According to ohms law, the discharge rate would be infinite, but we all know that doesn't happen. The amperage builds until it hits the maximum discharge rate of the battery. The chemical reaction can only happen so fast and there is a physical limit to how much amperage can exit the positive terminal. The higher the amperage gets, the hotter the internal "wires" in the battery get causing the resistance to go up until the resistance overcomes the electrical pressure pushing amperage out.

I hope I explained ok, but to sum it up, a battery will discharge a burst that will taper down until it reaches equalibrium. I hate not being able to find hard numbers, but the limit is a lot lower than I think most people suspect. I have had hundreds of batteries on an old school professional load tester and the highest amperage output I have seen is in the 275-285 amp range for the initial burst and a taper down to about 145 - 160. average is about 2/3 of that.

Assuming an 85% efficiency, a 3500 watt amp could overcome the burst and a an 1800 watt amp could overcome the continuous taper down. Pretty big amps, but very common.

Capacitors are very different. Just two charged metal plates and no chemical reaction to slow the current flow, not to mention they usually sit right next to the amplifier.

Now say your 3500 watt amplifier is asked to play a loud deep bass note for say a second, It would initially see proper voltage then almost immediately see insufficient voltage until the batter could recover. With a higher discharge rate capacitor, that voltage drop would be delayed or even denied if the cap is big enough.

My theory is that A capacitor would smooth out these voltage drops. I know an amp starved for power would destroy the impact and authority of that bass hit.

Caps don't do **** for dimming headlights.

With their higher discharge rate and proximity to amplifier prevent voltage drops a help to make sure every single bass hit has the impact it should, leading to much more musical and precise bass.

Sorry if I over explained and thanks for reading.

I am genuinely curious to hear other people's thoughts on this theory.

Registered
From what I've read, the overwhelming consensus is that they are worthless. One aspect I have not heard mentioned is maximum discharge rate.

I agree with what people say. Not gonna do ** for your dimming lights - agreed. It's surprising how many trusted companies still say that **.

I couldn't find numbers unfortunately, but say you were able to put a perfect zero ohm load on a car battery. According to ohms law, the discharge rate would be infinite, but we all know that doesn't happen. The amperage builds until it hits the maximum discharge rate of the battery. The chemical reaction can only happen so fast and there is a physical limit to how much amperage can exit the positive terminal. The higher the amperage gets, the hotter the internal "wires" in the battery get causing the resistance to go up until the resistance overcomes the electrical pressure pushing amperage out.

I hope I explained ok, but to sum it up, a battery will discharge a burst that will taper down until it reaches equalibrium. I hate not being able to find hard numbers, but the limit is a lot lower than I think most people suspect. I have had hundreds of batteries on an old school professional load tester and the highest amperage output I have seen is in the 275-285 amp range for the initial burst and a taper down to about 145 - 160. average is about 2/3 of that.

Assuming an 85% efficiency, a 3500 watt amp could overcome the burst and a an 1800 watt amp could overcome the continuous taper down. Pretty big amps, but very common.

Capacitors are very different. Just two charged metal plates and no chemical reaction to slow the current flow, not to mention they usually sit right next to the amplifier.

Now say your 3500 watt amplifier is asked to play a loud deep bass note for say a second, It would initially see proper voltage then almost immediately see insufficient voltage until the batter could recover. With a higher discharge rate capacitor, that voltage drop would be delayed or even denied if the cap is big enough.

My theory is that A capacitor would smooth out these voltage drops. I know an amp starved for power would destroy the impact and authority of that bass hit.

Caps don't do **** for dimming headlights.

With their higher discharge rate and proximity to amplifier prevent voltage drops a help to make sure every single bass hit has the impact it should, leading to much more musical and precise bass.

Sorry if I over explained and thanks for reading.

I am genuinely curious to hear other people's thoughts on this theory.
First off, I didn't even know this forum section existed ? You might get more responses on the general section.

But anyways, this video
shows exactly how much (or how little) old school capacitors actually help. IMPO, they are not good for much.
Super capacitors, or Ultra capacitors, on the other hand, are freaking awesome !
Yes, they will absolutely stop headlights, dash, or other lights from flickering, but that just the start of it.
Even more importantly, they will give your amplifiers more dynamic headroom for kick drums and such, to a level which is completely audible. They will also greatly reduce the strain on your electrical system.
Love my 500 farad Xs Power super capacitor 馃檪
I believe in supercaps so much, that I would not even bother with extra batteries. I'd rather make more juice to begin with, by adding more / stronger alternators, then feed it as fast as my amps can drink it with supercaps 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, I didn't even know this forum section existed ? You might get more responses on the general section.

But anyways, this video
shows exactly how much (or how little) old school capacitors actually help. IMPO, they are not good for much.
Super capacitors, or Ultra capacitors, on the other hand, are freaking awesome !
Yes, they will absolutely stop headlights, dash, or other lights from flickering, but that just the start of it.
Even more importantly, they will give your amplifiers more dynamic headroom for kick drums and such, to a level which is completely audible. They will also greatly reduce the strain on your electrical system.
Love my 500 farad Xs Power super capacitor 馃檪
I believe in supercaps so much, that I would not even bother with extra batteries. I'd rather make more juice to begin with, by adding more / stronger alternators, then feed it as fast as my amps can drink it with supercaps 馃檪
Thank you for your thoughts and the video. I love exo but somehow missed that one

Reactions: Fish Chris 2

Registered
Interesting but not many people here have 3500 watt sub stages. Go with an Mmats M series wich is a super efficient class D and cut the demand down on the car鈥檚 electrical and maybe you don鈥檛 need a $500-$800 super capacitor. A good amplifier should have enough capacitance to handle high transient demands anyway.

Reactions: clange2485

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting but not many people here have 3500 watt sub stages. Go with an Mmats M series wich is a super efficient class D and cut the demand down on the car鈥檚 electrical and maybe you don鈥檛 need a $500-$800 super capacitor. A good amplifier should have enough capacitance to handle high transient demands anyway.
Thank you very much for the advice, but this was a thought exercise for me. I'm only going to run about 1200 max. The stupid capacitor I have taunts me every time I see it.

Registered
Actually, I think there are quite a few here with 3500 wt or more, substages. But a system wouldn't have to be that high of wattage to benefit from a supercapcitor, nor would the super capacitor have to be $500-800, or 500+ farads.
In any case, I've seen LOTS of guys here, and on other internet car audio forums asking about "more batteries", when for many situations, I think a super capacitor would do then more good.
They really are not such a big, expensive, extreme kind of thing, as you might think.

Registered
Actually, I think there are quite a few here with 3500 wt or more, substages. But a system wouldn't have to be that high of wattage to benefit from a supercapcitor, nor would the super capacitor have to be $500-800, or 500+ farads.
In any case, I've seen LOTS of guys here, and on other internet car audio forums asking about "more batteries", when for many situations, I think a super capacitor would do then more good.
They really are not such a big, expensive, extreme kind of thing, as you might think.
You鈥檝e got to finish that off and give some examples to support your comment Chris ;)

Registered
You鈥檝e got to finish that off and give some examples to support your comment Chris ;)
Well I really don't have a lot of personal experience with them. Only the one I'm running now. I did do a ton of research before buying and installing this one, and it seemed like it would be huge.... And it has been 馃檪

In a nutshell, I have just seen where a bunch of guys have a bunch of batteries... Go on YouTube and you will see guys who have 10 huge heavy batteries or more ! Or multiple big, expensive lithium's, etc, etc. The power storage some of these guys have is rediculous. Yet my single supercapcitor, and a modest battery (mine was $179 from Sam's club) can make "faster power" than any of those crazy big, expensive setups.
And I never play my stereo without the vehicle running anyway. Power storage is over rated. I think more guys need to concentrate von making power quick enough.

Registered
Well I really don't have a lot of personal experience with them. Only the one I'm running now. I did do a ton of research before buying and installing this one, and it seemed like it would be huge.... And it has been 馃檪

In a nutshell, I have just seen where a bunch of guys have a bunch of batteries... Go on YouTube and you will see guys who have 10 huge heavy batteries or more ! Or multiple big, expensive lithium's, etc, etc. The power storage some of these guys have is rediculous. Yet my single supercapcitor, and a modest battery (mine was $179 from Sam's club) can make "faster power" than any of those crazy big, expensive setups.
And I never play my stereo without the vehicle running anyway. Power storage is over rated. I think more guys need to concentrate von making power quick enough.
I would agree there Chris. So many people buy into the bigger is better mentality but don鈥檛 really understand what they are doing and just hope it all works out.

Mazda for example used a super capacitor for a while in their Mazda 6 vehicles called i-ELOOP that worked out really well with less weight gain over traditional methods. Mazda6 Combines ICE with Regen Braking and Super Capacitors - News

Registered
You know, your amplifier has caps built-in ;)
Absolutely, and the bigger / more expensive / more bad a$$ the amplifier is, the greater that capacitance is likely to be. However, I'll bet the biggest, baddest, most expensive car audio amplifier on the market, doesn't have as much capacitance as my two cheap amps, in conjunction with my $500 super capacitor. In other words, "even with" super strong, high quality amplifiers, I think a person would notice a difference in electrical stability, and in dynamic range of the music, if they were running a super capacitor, and beating the system pretty hard.

Registered
this one..... this amp had some capacitance in it. 2006 Rockford Fosgate Power T15kW, entire board of only caps. I think they were smaller physical sized ultra/super/eldc caps too.

Yea, I鈥檝e seen those amps in person, at Steve Meades shop. They had two of them in Chickens Escalade. Unfortunately the system was down for some tweaking. I should have figured their might be am amp out there somewhere that has amazing capacitance 馃檪 But besides those $20,000 amps 鈥渁lmost鈥 no car audio amplifiers are going to have the capacitanc built in, that you can easily get with an external super capacitor.

Registered
Jealous. So cool! Did you get to demo any of his cars/trucks?

This Massive Audio Blade series amps had a plug in capacitor option, it looks like 4F set-up to help with power supply.

Registered
Jealous. So cool! Did you get to demo any of his cars/trucks?

This Massive Audio Blade series amps had a plug in capacitor option, it looks like 4F set-up to help with power supply.
Yes, I have set in SMD鈥檚 159 db Tahoe.... unbelievable ! The door panels and dash board looked like jello ! Even the mids/highs were ridiculous ! So clean though, it was very deceiving how loud it actually was. Honestly, I could handle 30hz and down okay (which I鈥檓 not really sure how many db鈥檚 he鈥檚 hitting in that range anyway) but when it started climbing up towards 40 hz or higher, I had to tap out.
This was all way back though, when his system was 鈥渙nly鈥 like 20 Kwts. A little while after that, he redid his whole power setup, and increased it to 30 Kwts. I鈥檓 think he is hitting over 161 db鈥檚 now. I think a lot of folks don鈥檛 understand exactly how loud that is !
Fun stuff though, just because it鈥檚 so ridiculous 馃檪
Same thing as having a 10,000hp top fuel funny car that does over 300 mph in a quarter mile. No practical reason for this. Just that it is fun, and they can, so they do 馃檪

1 - 15 of 15 Posts