DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I hacked up a bunch of my door through the metal (since i run one 6.5 midrange + two 6.5 midbasses) so...

I need a sheet of metal, plastic or similar. All I wanna do is to be able to bolt this over it. This would allow me to seal it easier and easier to work with (redoing my install).

I would like it to be as thin as possible, but also reasonably strong and cheap as possible. Something like 1/4 MDF would work, but it will crack im sure, and also won't stand weather in the long run. It doesn't have to be strong enough to support the speakers, I have another inch of MDF that will be bolted ontop of this.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
ABS plastic... US Plastics.c o m or Fleabay.. you can easily heat form it with a heat gun.. bolt it up, heat it up, mash it into place with a thick gloved hand.. boom..

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
i would have a piece of sheet metal the same gauge or thicker welded to the door. maintain proper access to interior parts and wire routing. get the car stronger than stock then start over.
So do it... Go to a junkyard, buy 2 doors, cut the inner web out, weld over your door.. profit.. lol..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its a tad ghetto, but I saw a guy use some thin lattice type material from Home depot. It forms well and the deadener stuck to it great.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i think safety and structural integrity should be your #1 concern right now. then incorporate the new design into the stronger material. when you remove material you need to thicken the remaining material to strengthen the system.

Example - a door in your house. you cut a hole in the wall and you need to put a header and frame around it to compensate for the hole.

welding a single piece of thicker gauge sheet metal around the opening will yield the best results.

share a pic of the existing door and maybe we can come up with more creative ideas that don't require welding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts