DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help deciding on a purchase order to replace my current system.

I have a 99 Dodge Ram regular cab that had a system in it when I purchased it. Nothing special, (Sony CDX-GT33W, 6X9 Sony 4 ways in the doors and 5 or 5 and 1/2 Sony 4 ways in the rear). It's not terrible but it's not good either.

My problem is I can't afford to replace everything at once so I'm going to have to do it a piece or two at a time.

My goal is to get to an active 2-way system with a DSP and a sub. I very possibly could keep building my way to an active 3-way system.

My dilemma is that I don't really know where to start. I have a decent pair of comp's sitting on the shelf (Polk SR-5250),no amp though. Everything in the truck now is going to get replaced. I don't want to replace something now only to have to replace it again later, and I'm not really sure what to buy first, second, third, etc.

I'm thinking, buy a 4 channel amp and install it and my comp's ,then a Dsp followed by another amp and a sub and finally a head unit. Only thing is, I have heard there are a new breed of class D amps in the pipeline and they might be outstanding. So should I maybe start with the DSP (and learn a little about it) and hold off on the amps for a while. I'm not in a hurry for a head unit because they are just beginning to get good at Bluetooth and are just beginning to support lossless files.

I could use any help you could give me. I've been searching for days and for the life of me I can't find any threads on this subject.

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to reply.

This is a duplicate post. Could a moderator please remove it for me?

Thanks.

·
Listener of Music
4,207 Posts
You could buy a 4 channel amp with a DSP built in. Or start with a 4 channel and a Minidsp 2x4(for only 100). When it can afford an upgrade to a better DSP you use the 2x4 to run rear fill or resell it.l

1 - 2 of 2 Posts