DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m not really sure how I should attack this truck install. I have a good bit of equipment, but unsure about how to go about making the best use of it. Here's my overall rundown, followed by my initial ideas...

HU: Pioneer DEH-p880prs
Amps: JL 500/1 for the sub, older Hifonics mx440 (I think that's it...it will give 75x4 or 150x2)
Sub: 10w7
front stage: Critical Mass rs6 coaxials
Tuning gear at hand: kicker KQ30 (30band eq) AC 2xs (probably won't need it)

The sub is probably going to go in place of the small seat on the right, rear. I always have it flipped up,so why not? I'd like the amps and other stuff to go behind the seat back, but I don't know if I"ll have the room. I hope so, but haven't measured. I can't decide on kick panels or a door install for my front stage. I've built several sets of kicks before, so that's no big worry. Also, my ebrake doesn't work, so I have the space on the driver's side. I'd rather install them in the doors, but don't want to sacrifice my sound stage as I'm sure there is precious little help the truck design gives me to work with.

So, with that, please pass along any advice, install pics, etc you have for me. I've done several SQ car installs, but none in a truck. I want it to stage as accurately as possible using what I have. Simple glass work isn't a problem, but I"m not a pro.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The sub is probably going to go in place of the small seat on the right, rear. I always have it flipped up,so why not?

This is probably the best approach. Ive tried to model a few subwoofers in ported enclosures and there is almost no to get a box in there with a reasonable port length with the avaible space under the seat. It would require an unreasonable seat lift from what I have found.

I'd like the amps and other stuff to go behind the seat back, but I don't know if I"ll have the room. I hope so, but haven't measured.

If you take a look under the seat you will see that there is a small cavity with can be used to mount amps and keep them completely stealthed and near impossible to get at without some one stealing you truck and stripping the interior. Once you go after the rear of the cab with your sound deadner take a few measure ments. Im quite certian that smaller foot print amps will fit with no issues. The amps you have listed might be an issue but I cannot confirm as I have yet to replace my garage sale special amplifiers with a quality one.

I can't decide on kick panels or a door install for my front stage. I've built several sets of kicks before, so that's no big worry. Also, my ebrake doesn't work, so I have the space on the driver's side. I'd rather install them in the doors, but don't want to sacrifice my sound stage as I'm sure there is precious little help the truck design gives me to work with.

With my 2000 F150 I cannot reccoment installing them in the doors. The factory speakers are 5x7 which Im sure your aware of. When you mount round speakers youll find that installing them in the stock location will only leave about 1/2 of the speaker unobstucted into the cab. Clearances with larger excursion mid bass speakers will be a problem as you will need some sort of baffle and the space between the door panel and door is about 1 inch. I have a pair a JL Audio C2-650's which I am very unhappy with mounted as described. Ive considered kicks my self but have no idea how to vent mids out of the cab without butchering the foot well or replacing the speakers with somthing designed for a sealed enclosure. I dont personally have much use for the ebrake being my truck is automatic. If you come up with a in door soultion please share. Im sure PJC would also like some input. He has a build log on the going.

So, with that, please pass along any advice, install pics, etc you have for me. I've done several SQ car installs, but none in a truck. I want it to stage as accurately as possible using what I have. Simple glass work isn't a problem, but I"m not a pro.

I would also consider installing a Expedition console in your truck dosent have a split bench seat. I plan on installing a JBL MS8 in there some time by next summer. I might consider installing amplifiers there as well if I could ever decide on some to buy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Once I get to a laptop tomorrow I will ramble on lol. On my phone and too much to type. Check out my build thread. I have some pics. I need to update it. I assume when u say super cab u r referring to an extended cab and not a full four doors? Or I might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As far as the doors go, I made my bafle to hold 6.5s. I wish I would have taken alot of pictures. I basically cut a big hole where the 5x7 opening was. I did this to make the area more "level." I covered the opening with 1/2" cutting board material and made an appropriate size hole to hold a 6.5. Between the new baffle and exisiting door is the gasket material thats used on metal roofs. Its basically a big roll of sticky putty type material. It can withstand heat, flexing, etc. then on top of all of that is two layers of Raammat. Then Ensolite. I think there is a pic of two of my doors on my build. And when I was doing all this I made the new speaker location to be more centered on the factory grill opening.
I have always wanted to try kicks, but I am happy with the way my comp. sounds like it is. I guess I should mention that my tweeters are up in the A-pillars aimed up toward the rearview mirror. I feel as though I have a decently centered soundstage and fairly high. If you look at our doors, the speakers are very high for door speakers. By no means could I go compete in any SQ competitions but I personally enjoy it and love it...thats all that matters to me.
I had my PDX amps under each front seat initially. There is a decent amount of room under there. If you have an ext cab... no room behind the seat at all. I am assuming you have a 4 door. I know those have room but it requires the amps to be kinda long and skinny for lack of better words.
I now have my amps under the rear seat on the passenger side. I can get pics of that if you want any. I am currently without a sub. Not sure exactly where my build is going to go now to be honest. I have some more amps coming next week so I'll know more then. As all the questions you want and I will do my best to help. I am pretty familiar with these trucks. Or you can PM me if you need anything.

PJ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. My truck isn't the true 4 door model. It has a rear bench, but has the smaller suicide doors giving me less backseat room to work with.

How much clearance do you have between the window and the speaker magnet in the doors? I had very little room in my previous car (grand prix) and it made a 3 way install very difficult. I'd like to leave the option open for a pair of 7-8" midbass drivers in the doors if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts