DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long post so bear with me...

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my '09 Scion xB...I had bought a bunch of stuff a few years ago to put in my '03 S10 and never got around to finishing the stereo. I've since sold the truck. I've got pretty much everything to run an active 3-way setup.

Here's a list of what I've got in my basement:
JL e6450 6-channel amp
Lanzar 3-way XO
Dayton RS180-4
Dayton RS125-8
Audax 1" soft dome tweets (don't remember part #)
PG Xenon X600.1
and a ruined RE SE10

I bent/cracked the mounting rim on the RE sub when I was trying to get it out of the box...long story. I'm thinking about the Dayton Reference, either 2 HF 10s or 1 HO 12...

I've got several HUs in mind...Eclipse CD7200mkII, DEH880PRS, etc. I had a Kenwood eXcelon X889 stored also, but decided to put it in my wife's car last week.

I've decided for many reasons not to run 3-ways up front. I need some help choosing drivers. Should I stick with the RS180, and if so, what tweeter would be a good match with it? LPG 25NFA or Seas 27TFFNC-G?

I'm not doing a pure SQ setup. I'm keeping the stock speaker locations. The mids are in the lower door, and the tweets are in the upper door/sail panel. I'm content with these locations. My main reason in compromising speaker placement is because I don't want it to sound great in the driver's seat, but sound awful on the other side. I do spend some time in the passenger's seat, so I still want it to sound decent. As it is right now, imaging is pretty good in both seats. My 1st priority is CLEAN sound, and I want good, flat frequency response.

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
resurrection power!

I've been looking everywhere for a 1" tweeter that will fit into my dash and play low enough for the RS180 too. No luck for me, all the reportedly good tweeters to go with the RS180 in a 2way are huge. I've been searching silently because people on here are quite sensitive when you ask about drivers that has been talked about and tested time and time again, and thats understandable, but then wherever it has been tested or reviewed it has been used in a 3-way or with a large format tweeter like the dayton RS28, seas 27TBFCG and the ring radiators. I guess thats good enough indication for me to go spend 4x the money for a good SEAS W18 driver to go in a 2way.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave up on using the RS180s 2-way. I also couldn't pass up a pair of Mpyre 65Ms for $90. I picked up a pair of RS100-4s and I'm currently waiting for my Seas 27TFFNC/Gs to arrive.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the RS180s and RS125s. I may run the the RS180s and the Audax tweets passive in my wife's Civic....or build some 3-way front speakers for my HT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts