DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on going with some 8's, and due to the sundown e8 shortage, I have to change up my choice of subs. Here are my conditions:

Sealed- no more than .3 cu per sub
power handling of 250 RMS minimum
Price must be 115 or less shipped per sub.
Mounting depth of no more than 4 3/4 inches(this is important)

These are the subs on my short list, please post your first hand listening impressions only, no "oh those suck, because all of that brand sucks"
Kicker solo classic 8( the brand new ones)- really curious about these
Kicker 08s8L5- I dont want to join the "me too" crowd, but I'll run them if they are my best choice
Polk MM840 - The new MM series, NOT the old MOMO. According to t/s, they are not carryovers, for those that may say so.
RE RE8

Please post up other 8's that I have missed that will do well in my app. I have looked at Parts Express, but honestly, without a trusted opinion, I wont buy any of them. It will be 8 8's in my crew cab Dakota. Must be sealed, and I have up to 4kw of power available from a Memphis Mojo 4kw. I would like 4 ohm subs to run the amp at 2 ohms total load for ~2kw total to the subs. If there are 8 sundown e8's out there, they are my first choice, so pm me if you have them, as this is not a "WTB" post.

Thank you all very much

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
W6 would be decent, or if you can find some Rli's. What are the Ascendant 8's like?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
W6 would be decent, or if you can find some Rli's. What are the Ascendant 8's like?
w6=too much $, rli=too deep. I hadnt looked at ascendant, they went to brick and mortar didnt they? I still have a pair of Havoc 18's that I absolutely love, but cant use anymore.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Who has used the trio 8? Jimbno, you say you havent, what about you, vactor? It looks good on paper, but that doesnt always mean anything. Also, where to buy that 8?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
*THESE* are the original Solo-barics if for some reason you need SVC versus DVC.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I have considered the id, but be honest and dont try to sell me something.. is 250 rms going to be too much for these. I do like to dig down low.. Pink floyd is may main shovel ;)
I actually owned an ID8v.3D2 for awhile before selling it to a friend. This past weekend, I helped him install a new amp and we used this sub to test our install. Bridging his amp produces a rated 400watts RMS in a 4ohm mono load. I gave that sub a beating and it took it like a champ! Image Dynamics rates their RMS wattage extremely conservative compared to other subwoofer makers. If you don't believe me, call and ask to talk to Matt or Eric and they will explain the process they utilize to rate their products. It's quite fascinating and intense!

The ID8v.3 will handle 250watts all day and sound great doing it! 2 of them will sound phenomenal!

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
*THESE* are the original Solo-barics if for some reason you need SVC versus DVC.
Out of all the choices given on this page so far, the old Solobarics look like the most bang for the buck. The highest efficiency, good xmax and good power handling. The upper end of it's frequency response is listed as 100Hz, so that is somewhat a limiting factor for some installs I would think.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The xmax on the Solbarics is only 8.4mm. Not saying that is a problem, but compare it to the ID, Trio, and TB. The Trio is only rated for 200W. I think if it was me I would go for the ID if it fits the budget.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
The xmax on the Solbarics is only 8.4mm. Not saying that is a problem, but compare it to the ID, Trio, and TB. The Trio is only rated for 200W. I think if it was me I would go for the ID if it fits the budget.
Only 8.4mm? That's enough xmax to get the job done for a door subwoofer, let alone a midbass.

At 84db sensitivity, that is WAY too low and would require a 2nd speaker wired in parallel to equal the output of the Solobaric pair. 87db vs 84db is a BIG difference in output capability. 2x the output.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Only 8.4mm? That's enough xmax to get the job done for a door subwoofer, let alone a midbass.

At 84db sensitivity, that is WAY too low and would require a 2nd speaker wired in parallel to equal the output of the Solobaric pair. 87db vs 84db is a BIG difference in output capability. 2x the output.
Not WAY to low, but it is a consideration. It really comes down to, do you want more bottom end extension, or more output with your available power? The lower Xmax SoloBaric will have more sensitivity, but at the sacrifice of bottom end. If you're using dedicated subs in addition to these 8's, I'd go for the sensitivity. If you need to eke out as much low end extension as possible, I'd look at something else other than the Kickers.

I'll throw this one out there as well. Very nice price for an excellent performing little sub. Parts Express:Dayton RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Will also work well in your .3 cubes.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to model up a bunch of different options in a modeling program (i.e. Unibox, WinISD), and make a decision based on you given parameters and what you're trying to achieve.

Find out which one will give you the best low end, and best sensitivity for your .3 cubes available.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts