DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by telling you all my current situation. Vehicle is a Ford F150 pickup. I have ID OEM mids in the stock door locations. I also have HAT L1 tweeters in the stock tweeter locations (door). Right now at low to medium volumes it sounds great. I do like to play it pretty loud, and the L1s simply cant play very low at high volume. Because of this I have to cross the OEMs higher, and they dont sound great at high volume being crossed high. (L1s crossed at 4k).

I want to replace the tweeters with something that can play lower. I also want to glass these new tweeters into the A-pillars to raise the stage a little bit. So far, I have read that the Seas Neo Aluminums are pretty good for what I'm looking for at low cost, but suffer off-axis. Another option that interests me is the TBI HDSS, but I'd need to find some used ones because I dont want to spend $200 for new ones.

Should I go for the Neos on-axis? I would love to hear some thoughts on other options that would work well in my truck. Budget is limited.

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I am not mistaken you have it backwards, the aluminum neo's shine off axis. Put them on axis and they will give you lots more detail. But i should also say that i just took that exact setup out of my car and i would honestly suggest you look into a different mid driver before changing your tweets. Find a mid that can play higher instead of a tweet that will go lower

*edit* sorry, i should have clarified that i just pulled my ID OEM / Seas aluminum combo out of my car, not the ID / HAT combo so I cannot comment on how that particular combo plays or blends

·
Registered
283 Posts
Any recommendations on mids? I'm gonna be running Aluminum Neos off axis, and have a Magv4 thats supposed to blend with the mids low end.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Peerless HDS tweeters can go pretty low.

Another option might be getting a pair of 2 or 2.5" 'full-range' speakers, most of them go lower than practically any 1" tweeter and if you get a pair of good ones, you still have the top-end quality of a good tweeter.

If you decide to keep the tweeters and change out the midwoofers, you might try to find a pair of Focal Polyglass 165V2 midwoofers. I had that type of component set a long time ago, the tweeters sucked, but those midwoofers were pretty good up to 3.8kHz and with a steep crossover, they went down to about 70Hz.
They are a bit 'clean' sounding and they don't handle tons of power (about 100W RMS is the maximum I would recommend), so if you want a loud system and/or a punchy midbass, they're not the drivers for you...

·
Registered
454 Posts
So so many choices in that category. I finally had the pleasure of hearing a set of the Peerless Exclusives this past weekend and the midrange they produce is absolutely heavenly Peerless Exclusive 830883 - 7" Woofer from Madisound

I have heard that the Exclusives don't have tons of midbass, but from the reviews i have read, your v4 should be able to play high enough that if it lacks midbass you can always run your xover point up on it and let it rip

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you mention those Exclusive, I was just reading up on those. They look to be some nice mids that could possibly work well in my situation without costing a fortune. Since you have heard them and also used the IDs, can you comment on how their midbass performance compares to the ID OEMs?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Funny you mention those Exclusive, I was just reading up on those. They look to be some nice mids that could possibly work well in my situation without costing a fortune. Since you have heard them and also used the IDs, can you comment on how their midbass performance compares to the ID OEMs?
I wish i could, but the setup I heard the Exclusives in was a 3 way active front stage and it was running strictly midrange coupled with a 10" midbass. I can comment on the OEM though, the midbass is gigantic, great response and impact in a properly treated and sealed door, but the upper end clarity is sadly lacking. Keep in mind also the OEM v2 is on it's way and it is supposed to trump the original in midrange clarity.

To my own way of thinking, i would go with a driver that lacks midbass but excels in the midrange. You can find midbass in other ways, either through higher crossover points or adding a dedicated midbass driver somewhere else (like the floor in a small box or pod)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish i could, but the setup I heard the Exclusives in was a 3 way active front stage and it was running strictly midrange coupled with a 10" midbass. I can comment on the OEM though, the midbass is gigantic, great response and impact in a properly treated and sealed door, but the upper end clarity is sadly lacking. Keep in mind also the OEM v2 is on it's way and it is supposed to trump the original in midrange clarity.

To my own way of thinking, i would go with a driver that lacks midbass but excels in the midrange. You can find midbass in other ways, either through higher crossover points or adding a dedicated midbass driver somewhere else (like the floor in a small box or pod)
I feel the exact same way about the OEMs (great midbass but lacking detail), which is why I started this thread. I just dont want to lose midbass output when I replace them. A 3way is not an option at this point, it would be too expensive considering I'd need more processing, more channels of amplification etc. The Peerless exclusive looks to possibly fit the bill. Some of the Seas drivers that npdang has reviewed have caught my attention as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Peerless look alright, but 8 ohm seems like a waste of the limited wattage i have. I think I'm gonna wait for OEMv2's

I still have plenty of other things to buy for my first set-up anyway. Good thread! I've been curious about this for a while

·
Registered
454 Posts
I feel the exact same way about the OEMs (great midbass but lacking detail), which is why I started this thread. I just dont want to lose midbass output when I replace them. A 3way is not an option at this point, it would be too expensive considering I'd need more processing, more channels of amplification etc. The Peerless exclusive looks to possibly fit the bill. Some of the Seas drivers that npdang has reviewed have caught my attention as well.
I was in the same boat, limited processing, limited amplification and i am pretty set on not heavily modifying my car for the audio, i just got lucky to find the driver that i liked recently when i switched to my AVI's. Still dig just as deep as the OEM tonally, have super clarity on top but i can't comment on the impact since i am still breaking them in. The Seas drivers have also been highly touted and well reviewed so that also could be a fantastic option

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ah, the nippley ones... I've been thinkin about these as well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would seriously rethink the Mid Bass response; weak Mid Range will have your whole system sounding like Butt (IMO).
No kidding, I'm experiencing that now. Which is why I'm looking into drivers that can do both, and I have found a few options. Just looking for a couple opinions from those who have used them personally. I will send out some PMs as well.

Thanks for the recomendations guys, I appreciate the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.