DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the posts on here for a little bit now, and doing some research and I think I know what I want to use for my front stage now. I have two options that I am looking at.

Option: 1

Drivers:
Dayton RS28a-4 Tweeters
Dayton RS180-4 Midrange/Midbass
Mounting:
Tweeters - Kick panels
Midrange/midbass - Doors

Option: 2

Drivers:
Dayton RS28a-4 Tweeters
Dayton RS100-4 Midrange
Dayton RS180-4 Midbass
Mounting:
Tweeters - Kick panels
Midrange - Kick panels
Midbass - Doors

Car: 2006 Scion TC
HU: Kenwood 719DVD - I don't want to change this because I have the navigation system with it.
Amp: JL audio A6450

I do have a sub now, however I plan to upgrade later on.

Budget: I have not really set one yet, I know the drivers will cost me 250 + shipping so I have budgeted that for the 3way front stage.

My questions:

1. Will there be a whole lot of benefit running the 3way front stage vs the 2way? I listen to a lot of music with vocals and really want that sound great.

2. What active crossover/processor would you recommend for 3way front stage + sub. I have been able to find plenty of active crossovers for the 2way + sub, but the 4way is a lot harder to find. I would like to have processing/eq built in as well, however I do not mind running a seperate EQ. I am trying to stay fairly pocket book friendly with the crossover and eq. I don't even mind doing used for this portion of it.

3. Does this front stage sound like a decent setup that wont break the bank or should I look at something else?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
4-way is going to cost you

Clarion DRZ9255

Alpine H701

A combination of two crossovers (Split an already split signal)

The 2-way can sound really good.

If you put the RS180s in your kicks it'd probably be gravy with a good tweeter.

The 3-way front will take a lot more time to perfect, and probably some measurement equipment as well. LOTS more time, seriously.

Another note: I have been using the RS180s, I love them. SUPER Value. I have the RS100s going in soon, what listening I have done (not in car) they are awesome as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4-way is going to cost you

Clarion DRZ9255

Alpine H701

A combination of two crossovers (Split an already split signal)

The 2-way can sound really good.

If you put the RS180s in your kicks it'd probably be gravy with a good tweeter.

The 3-way front will take a lot more time to perfect, and probably some measurement equipment as well. LOTS more time, seriously.

Another note: I have been using the RS180s, I love them. SUPER Value. I have the RS100s going in soon, what listening I have done (not in car) they are awesome as well.
How will the midbass response be with the rs180s in the kicks? Also you said I should use a good tweeter, is the Dayton tweeter not that good? Is there another tweeter you would recommend?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Never heard the dayton tweeter. I think Zaph|Audio gives it a decent review.

Midbass response is going to depend on your enclosure.

Doors might not be ideal since you would be running them into the mid range. (think aiming)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Im running a similar setup to your 3-way idea, and if I could do it over again I probably would have gone 2-way. Not that I don't like 3-way (I love it) it just has been a long process of fabricating lots more speaker mounting areas which could have been done much easier with a 2-way. I'm NOT running an active x-over unit but instead taking advantage of the built in X-overs that some amps have built in. By using amps with x-overs built in, you can link them together and avoid a processor unit.

One thing to check for sure before going with 8's in the doors is where you'll mount them, check the venting-path in the door and make sure you can vent the woofer into the door easily without cutting the whole thing apart and having to fabricate a new door panel; that's my story.

But with that said, i LOVE my 3-way setup and my girlfriend makes fun of me for how often i'm tuning it (RTA + audiocontrol EQ). "Tuning" a standard 2-way has always been much easier, and also the 2-way with passive xovers doesn't require the seperate amp channels for each set of drivers. That can save big bucks and allow you to afford nicer amps as opposed to more channels/amps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never heard the dayton tweeter. I think Zaph|Audio gives it a decent review.

Midbass response is going to depend on your enclosure.

Doors might not be ideal since you would be running them into the mid range. (think aiming)

I put the woofer in winisd and it looks like that thing wants .8 ft^3. It would do okay in .2ft^3. I would need to cross it over at 90hz and eq out the peak at around 100Hz, well assuming my car does not mess up the curve that winisd generated for it.

I know I would really like them in the kicks, but looking at them in winisd I don't think they will work the way I want. Does this sound correct? This is really part of the reason why I was wanting to do the 3way front stage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im running a similar setup to your 3-way idea, and if I could do it over again I probably would have gone 2-way. Not that I don't like 3-way (I love it) it just has been a long process of fabricating lots more speaker mounting areas which could have been done much easier with a 2-way. I'm NOT running an active x-over unit but instead taking advantage of the built in X-overs that some amps have built in. By using amps with x-overs built in, you can link them together and avoid a processor unit.

One thing to check for sure before going with 8's in the doors is where you'll mount them, check the venting-path in the door and make sure you can vent the woofer into the door easily without cutting the whole thing apart and having to fabricate a new door panel; that's my story.

But with that said, i LOVE my 3-way setup and my girlfriend makes fun of me for how often i'm tuning it (RTA + audiocontrol EQ). "Tuning" a standard 2-way has always been much easier, and also the 2-way with passive xovers doesn't require the seperate amp channels for each set of drivers. That can save big bucks and allow you to afford nicer amps as opposed to more channels/amps.
Taking this a whole different direct, making passive crossovers is not that hard, I have done it before. With passive crossovers for the front stage I think I can make it sound pretty good. Or maybe an active/passive combo like you mentioned.

I am just really liking the idea of a 3way in the front since it will be the easiest way to get good mid bad and on axis midrange and highs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A custom passive is OK. You'll have to tweak it, which takes time. Tweaking/experimenting is much easier with an active setup.

I'd probably try to limit the passive to controlling the LP of the mid and HP of the tweeter only.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A custom passive is OK. You'll have to tweak it, which takes time. Tweaking/experimenting is much easier with an active setup.

I'd probably try to limit the passive to controlling the LP of the mid and HP of the tweeter only.
This is sounding like a really good idea actually. I just have a feeling that I will not be really happy with the two way because I will need to make a compromise, I will need to lose the mid bass, or I will need to put them off-axis and lose my midrange.

Knowing that this is the route I think I will go, can you recommend a good crossover and eq, or combo crossover eq that is not too expensive?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The eclipse CD7200 MKII is a head unit with crossover/ EQ / time alignment built in.

There are other like it - clarion DRX785USB (i think thats the model) comes to mind for a super cheap one (not bad quality either)

Otherwise you can look into units from Audiocontrol, Rockford fosgate 360.

There are a bunch of plain crossovers out there, but you won't get EQ and time alignment with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts