DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had Infinity Kappa 90csx speakers installed in my 2021 Subaru Legacy. I was listening to the installer talk to the owner and he couldnt get the front door speakers to work but the tweeters in the dash worked? His suggestion was to skip the crossover and just plug in the 6x9 speaker and run the dash tweeters off the crossover. Problem i'm having right away is that while listening to music full blast the speakers begin to distort after about a minute or two, it goes away when I turn it down and will come back after turning it back up but not always right away. Is running the door speaker without the crossover causing problems? owner said it would not cause any problems, even said they can sometimes run better with full spectrum coming in??? Also, the distortion doesn't sound like your normal speaker distortion. It's hard to explain but it sounds like damage is being done to the speaker.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Just had Infinity Kappa 90csx speakers installed in my 2021 Subaru Legacy. I was listening to the installer talk to the owner and he couldnt get the front door speakers to work but the tweeters in the dash worked? His suggestion was to skip the crossover and just plug in the 6x9 speaker and run the dash tweeters off the crossover. Problem i'm having right away is that while listening to music full blast the speakers begin to distort after about a minute or two, it goes away when I turn it down and will come back after turning it back up but not always right away. Is running the door speaker without the crossover causing problems? owner said it would not cause any problems, even said they can sometimes run better with full spectrum coming in??? Also, the distortion doesn't sound like your normal speaker distortion. It's hard to explain but it sounds like damage is being done to the speaker.

Thanks in advance.
One Band Aid way of doing it would be just to throw some inline caps on the full range speakers to knock the lower frequencies out. However, it really sounds like a case of a bad installer.. if you want me to be totally honest.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Passive or active? is the distortion coming from the mid or the tweeter? Bi amped or
A passive set of crossovers usually don't have a high pass built in for the midwoofer, just the tweet. That leads me to believe it isn't due to running the mid higher than it would with the xo. Its not out of the ordinary for coax sets to only use a cap on the tweeter, and no inductor on the mid, allowing it to play the full range. But it's on you or the installer to put a HP on the mid via the amp or hu options.

If it is happening at high volumes after a while, and goes away after turning it down that sounds like you are throwing more power at the speaker than it wants. And that the coil is building up more heat than it can realistically take, then power compression starts to come in heavily.
If it is from the midrange, than I would suggest putting an inline cap infront of the mids to do some filtering of low frequencies, or setting the crossover frequency in your headunit up to a higher frequency.
If it is from the tweeter, and I am correct, than your only real option is to attenuate the tweeters volume via the crossover or back down the power.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
CHANGE INSTALLER!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, the resistance could be an issue, I don’t know if the head unit can handle 2.5ohms but I do know that the stock speakers are 4ohms. But the stock wires, unless they upgraded them since 2016, are cheap 20awg so the wires will add some resistance.

Idk if this info is helpful or not but the stock dash speakers are run off on-star (whatever it’s called) rather than the head unit like the door speakers, so even if your car didn’t come with stock dash speakers those wires will be live. Maybe try running the door speakers off the x-over without the tweeters on the slim chance that might work, you can easily get inline crossovers that’ll cut out the low frequencies for the tweeters but you can’t easily get passive low-pass filters for the door speakers.

Definitely get a capacitor/bass blocker for the doors if you’re not using the crossover, the low frequencies are almost certainly what’s making them distort (unless it’s the signal distorting). Having them playing higher than they’re designed for won’t be a mechanical issue however they will beam and they will play the same frequencies as the tweeters, even if they weren’t beaming that’s not ideal.

does anyone have any idea why the crossovers wouldn’t work? I can’t come up with a single reason other than being defective. Or someone messing up the wiring.

you’ll want something like these unless you can get the 2-way x-over to work (again there’s no earthly reason they shouldn’t work unless they’re defective or they messed up wiring,but maybe someone can correct that).
Look for something like that with a much lower cutoff point. The frequency for those is listed for 4ohms, when you go down to 2ohms the frequency will double,… so you’ll want something around 100hz for 2ohm,… or 50hz for 4ohm, I would go much below given they’re slope will be -6dB per octave. You can google what value capacitor you’ll need to get the desired cutoff for 2.5ohm speakers and buy a set at a store that sells electrical supplies (or order online) and solder them to the positive wire going to the speakers.

in-line crossovers are just regular capacitors, just need to figure out value you need in microfarad based upon the speakers ohms and the cut off you want. Bare in mind using capacitors will give you a slope of 6dB per octave, which is quite shallow. Meaning the rate at which the signal is decreased is -6dB per octave, an octave down is half a frequency an octave up is double. If you crossed them over at 80hz the speakers would play 40hz 6dB lower than everything over. Basically if you’re listening at 90dB (which is about what those speakers produce with 1 watt of power) it’d play 40hz at 87dB if you use a capacitor to cut them off at 80hz. Bare that in mind when choosing a capacitor. You’ll want to go well above 80hz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts