DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I will preface this by saying that my mobile audio experience consists of several months of online research as I aspire to install my first mobile audio system.

I own a 2020 Jeep Gladiator, and so far, I’ve purchased the following:

XS Power D4800 (3,000 amps)
High Output JS Alternator (390amps)
Big 3 Upgrade Kit (100% OFC)
Stinger HEIGH10 Head Unit
PRV Audio DSP 2.8X (2 inputs & 8 outputs)

American Soundbar which will house the following PRV Audio Speakers
  • 4x TW450Ti-Nd-4 3.3” Super Tweeters each rated at 60 Watts RMS
  • 4 x 8MR500-NDY-4 v2 8” Neodymium Midrange speakers each rated at 250 Watts RMS
Two Metra Speaker Pods for the dash and each will house a PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY 6” Neodymium Mid-bass speaker rated at 125 Watts RMS.

Two Metra Tweeter Adapters for the dash and will each house PRV Audio TW450Ti-Nd-4 3.3” Super Tweeter rated at 60 Watts RMS.

BRP Auto Designs Subwoofer Box which will house two JL Audio 10W0v3-4 10" Subwoofers each rated at 4-ohms - 300 Watts RMS.

Amplifiers (all are Full Range 1 channel)
  • 1 x PRV Audio SQ6000X 1ohm
  • 1 x PRV Audio Q1200 1ohm
  • 1 x PRV Audio SQ3500X 1ohm
PRV Audio RCA Cables
1 pair to run from Head Unit to DSP
1 pair from Sub Amp to DSP
1 pair from Mids Amp to DSP
1 pair from Tweeter Amp to DSP

Jim’s Machine Works Terminals
Knukoncept Power & Speaker Wire (100% OFC)
Remote Wire from Sonic Electronics
2 x Stinger ANL In-line Fuses
2 x 300amp ANL Fuses

——————————————————
What I know I’m missing:
Fused Power Distribution Blocks
ANL Fuses and Links for those Distribution Blocks (POS and NEG)
ABS Plastic Sheet to build Amp Rack
And other small things like Braided loom, Heat Shrinks, Wire Ferrules, Zip Ties, etc.
——————————————————
My plan for installment:
Run two 0 Gauge Power wires from the battery (1 for 6k amp and 1 for 3.5k/1.2k) to the rear (in-line fuses on both wires)
Use Power Distribution Blocks to fuse and distribute the power wires to support all three amps and the DSP.
Use a Ground Distribution Blocks to ensure everything is grounded.
Run 1 set of RCAs from my Head Unit‘s Front Out to my DSP’s Input.
Run a set of RCAs from each amplifier to the DSP outputs.
Run the Remote Turn on wires from each amplifier to my DSP, and then from my DSP to my head unit.

I wanted to break it down as follows, and this is where I think I messed up…

6k amp for the Subwoofers
3.5k amp for the Mid Range (4) and Mid Bass (2)
1.2k amp for Tweeters (6)

I’m almost certain I messed up and purchased amplifiers with too much power. If so, what do you guys recommend? I wanted to match brands for my Speakers and amplifiers… which sucks because PRV Audio’s smallest amplifier is that 1.2k.

What do you guys recommend? Is there any way that I can wire those speakers (series or parallel) to those amplifiers and get superb sound quality without blowing anything out? Should I change the 6k for a 3.5k or 1.2k amp to run the subwoofers? Are there any other flaws in my “installment plan”? Is wiring a single pair of RCAs from the Front Out to the Inputs of the DSP effective (My DSP NLT has 2 inputs)? Or should I do Y splitters and if so, how?

Please help…

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts

American Soundbar which will house the following PRV Audio Speakers
  • 4x TW450Ti-Nd-4 3.3” Super Tweeters each rated at 60 Watts RMS
  • 4 x 8MR500-NDY-4 v2 8” Neodymium Midrange speakers each rated at 250 Watts RMS
That is a lot of speakers.
What is your goal? Why 4x instead of 2x?

Amplifiers (all are Full Range 1 channel)
  • 1 x PRV Audio SQ6000X 1ohm
  • 1 x PRV Audio Q1200 1ohm
  • 1 x PRV Audio SQ3500X 1ohm

It is more common to have 4 amp channels for the 4 tweeters, and another 4 amp channels for the 4x midrange.
Where are the woofers?

How many subwoofers? I see the SQ6000.

I think some goals could help define a way towards where one needs to go to achieve the goals.

The 1200W does not go to the speakers unless the gain is turned up, the head unit volume is turned up, and the music is coming through the system. There is no such thing as too much power… But you really only need 20W for each tweeter, and maybe 50W for the midrange… unless things are really for high SPL… Then you need ear plugs (IMO).

Reactions: MaximumEnnui

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Holmz
The American SoundBar is just built that way; it houses 4 x 8” speakers and another 4” x 4” Tweeters.

I fully understand having a dedicated channel to each respective speaker but in my research, I found that full range amplifiers are “better”.

I have 2 x 10” Subwoofers that will go under the rear seat.

My goal is to have superb sound quality, regardless of volume. Yes, I love to listen to my music at higher volumes but I don’t want to sacrifice or compromise sound quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Holmz

You mentioned “ There is no such thing as too much power…”

So am I good to connect that 6k to the subwoofers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Typically people don't run more than one tweeter per signal channel (Left, Right) since multiple tweeters in different locations playing the same signal can cause strong cancellations.

Most music is mixed in stereo so there would be two channels. It's possible to upmix to 3 or 5 or 7 virtual channels (Left, Right, Center), (Left, Right, Center, Rear Left, Rear Right, ...) but not many DSPs are out there that will do it.

To my eyes the problem is that you don't have enough amplifier channels to have much control over the acoustic output. And your music would be playing in mono. I'm not confident you could get great seated sound quality from that setup. However, you could probably push over 120db above a couple hundred hertz in the listening position. And with DSP you can probably get a pretty good farfield response (outside the car) if the design goal is more of a boombox type thing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Imo, you need at least two 4 channel amps for all those speakers, and a mono for the subs.
You'll need 4 independant channels up front so you can balance the tweeters with those mids. In the rear you can put 2 mids on each channel parallel ,and series two tweeters per channel. Those tweeters are BRIGHT.

Then use the dsp so it's not just loud. You might need two more dsp channels if you want to use it on the subs as well.

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
@Holmz
The American SoundBar is just built that way; it houses 4 x 8” speakers and another 4” x 4” Tweeters.
Yeah, but a sound bar is usually a Center channel of a 3.0 or 5.x or 7.x TV system… not a stereo 2.0 system. It seems like for stereo one needs more channels?

I fully understand having a dedicated channel to each respective speaker but in my research, I found that full range amplifiers are “better”.
What is an example of a limited range amplifier?
Do you have a link to the research?

@Holmz

You mentioned “ There is no such thing as too much power…”

So am I good to connect that 6k to the subwoofers?
  • You will only get out of them what you set them up for.
  • You can smoke anything with skill, no skill, bad luck, etc.

- Which subs?

Or

• How many subs
  • how many coils/sub
  • the impedance of each coil?
  • And what do those subs say for power rating?

My goal is to have superb sound quality, regardless of volume. Yes, I love to listen to my music at higher volumes but I don’t want to sacrifice or compromise sound quality.
How do you define sound quality?:
  • Loudness level
  • lack of distortion?
  • Focus/smearing/imaging

• How loud is “At a louder volume”?
  • DO you have an SPL app (or NIOSH app) on your phone?

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
Typically people don't run more than one tweeter per signal channel (Left, Right) since multiple tweeters in different locations playing the same signal can cause strong cancellations.
Plus the music is often mixed in stereo - as you mention in the next paragraph…

To my eyes the problem is that you don't have enough amplifier channels to have much control over the acoustic output. And your music would be playing in mono. I'm not confident you could get great seated sound quality from that setup. However, you could probably push over 120db above a couple hundred hertz in the listening position. And with DSP you can probably get a pretty good farfield response (outside the car) if the design goal is more of a boombox type thing.
^+^ Combined with too many speakers?

To my eyes the problem is …
Maybe (??) ^This^ should read : (??)

To my ears the problem is …
Here is a song for you ;) (we are probably only missing “taste”):

·
Registered
398 Posts
That American soundbar looks like it mounts behind driver in the roof pointing down?

It'll be loud but hardly sound quality. No harm in that, as long as you're not shooting for a SQ car

·
Premium Member
7,487 Posts
That American soundbar looks like it mounts behind driver in the roof pointing down?

It'll be loud but hardly sound quality. No harm in that, as long as you're not shooting for a SQ car
Hand me the UV light as I play the Norwegian roll of the Jegeren.
(And queue up the ELO on vinyl)

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
Others have already gotten you pointed in a better direction, but I want to add another vote in the 'use fewer speakers' category. You will not get superb sound quality with 6 super tweeters, that is 4 too many. Two good tweeters will sound a thousand times better than 6 super tweeters. Even if they were excellent tweeters, you still wouldn't want 6 of them.

With acoustics, the KISS method goes a long ways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts