DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many others here are on non-audio boards, like say a site about cars and audio questions come up and people refuse to accept what you have to say?

I'm on a few other boards about cars and every single day there are people trying to answer questions or give advice on audio when they clearly have no understanding of it. Most of the time when I try to steer people in the right direction, I'm ignored because I don't have 8,000 posts or have 6 12" subs in my car.

It's everything from people putting tweeters in idiotic places and nearly everyone agreeing with how great an idea it is and that they're going to do it too even after I mention that it's actually a really bad location and why it is, to recommending porting sub enclosures really high like 40hz or more and arguing with me that tuning the port low like 28hz is stupid when I recommend that and even explain why, to suggesting stupid Hifonics Brutus amps over more respectable ones I suggest without even knowing what the OP wants to power with it.

A few people even argued with me that 4 component sets in each front door is actually a perfectly fine solution to getting good sound and that the imaging and staging is just fine. Some claimed my statement that more than one speaker (let alone 4) playing the same frequencies is one of the worst things you can do, is just my opinion and it's not based off of any fact.

I shouldn't care, and I guess I don't that much, but I kind hate to see all these people being misled and generally being given really bad audio advice. Sometimes I think me persistence will pay off, but it never really seems to. There are a few people that have PM'ed me and seem to actually want a good sounding system, but most just seem to go about things all wrong and promote others doing it too. I guess it's mostly because it's younger crowds generally one those forums, and they simply listen to people that post more or have a **** load of woofers in their cars.

I've even linked to bcae1 and this site on many occasions, but haven't noticed any of them joining.

OK, so who else deals with that stuff?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Some people dont want to learn. ANd some also are happy as pigs in **** with a system that you, I and many others here wouldn't be able to deal with.

You can lead a horse to water...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Never mind he beat me to it.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I gave up after about 4 tries and endlesss flame wars.

If they want to do it the stupid way let them.

99% of them will never get it becuase they know everything already.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Yep I see that all the time.
I try to stay subject specific in the different forums I post on, but they all seem to have sections for other things I have an interest in as well. Seems like they all want to be the one-stop site.
I'm site staff on a very popular firearms-related site, and it has a cars and bikes section, a music section, a fitness section, etc. But I barely ever visit those areas because I have other forums to go to that are more specific to those interests.
I'm on a [particular vehicle that I drive] site, and they have an audio/electronics section. The the couple guys that seem to be respected there have a giant boner for Memphis Audio and preach it as gospel to everyone. If you suggest something else you might as well decide you're wrong right off the bat otherwise you'll be in a long drawn out discussion until you admit that Memphis is the best bang for the buck or you disappear (which proves they won anyway).

Anyway, I've learned to stay clear of the firearms section of the bodybuilding forum, the fitness section of the firearms forum, etc. I don't need to be the "authority" anywhere. And I mainly come herre to DIYMA for audio stuff.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's probably pretty good advice. I mostly go here for audio discussions, but I can't help but look in the other sites audio sections just to see what people are talking about. Of course I should just leave, but then I read something outrageously wrong and have to get involved. Maybe I'll just stay out of there.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about ARFCOM would you? Or maybe you don't want to answer, but I thought your name seemed familiar.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Same name there. Are you there too?
I used to be under my name here. I got banned a few years ago because Ed and myself didn't see eye to eye on one particular subject and I refused to change my opinion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel the exact same way. I totally stay out of any audio related thread now. After being flamed for attempting to give some advice and then nearly being choked to death through my computer screen when I said JL wasn't the end all be all of car audio.

Oh well.

I still read the threads for my amusement but never again will I post in one.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it's two things. One, a younger crowd over there, and two, for some reason guys almost always think they know about cars, stereos and guns even when they don't.

Granted I learn things here all the time and I've been messing with audio equipment for more than 20 years.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
We sponsor the local GM performance forum and they post up some idiotic stuff over there. Then they ask for help and when it's not what "Jimmy" said, they flame the **** out of us. So I try not to help them anymore. Problem solved:).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think the other thing is one may come off as a know-it-all or pretentious when trying to help out.. although I understand what OP is saying. I'm part of a hyundai car forum, and have found out that the best thing to do is just try to help them with their speaker / install questions and only give advice on better equipment if they ask for my opinion.

A lot of them seem to like the idea of a all-in-one sub system, and even though I'm not a fan, I still try to offer suggestions on where to install it, or how to run the wires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Brother, it's why I ran, not walked, away from car audio as a business (managed, not owned). Kids are so hung up on myth and folklore that it's really more of a chore than anything. Seriously, spending 90% of your day handling shyt that "stopped working" (IOW, gains that raised themselves as if by magic:rolleyes:) and roasted woofers just got old. It isn't worth the time to argue with kids just old enough to have that magic mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

I see you have 4700+ posts, but even that won't be enough for many n00bs to shut up and listen. If even 10% of what you have to say is valid (I'm just throwing out a figure, but you know what I mean), they should maybe do that, instead of what the moron at Audio Express has to say.

But, this is why guys like Josh at JML here in town "filter" their businesses by being up front that their clientele is willing to spend money and, by refusing to not do things to the utmost, tends to weed out the stink.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Hmm,

I prefer this site for audio info because people here post imperical data and will backup what they claim more often than not. And also because inaccuracies are punished here. I'm not right all the time and some think I don't listen, but I do when I find data that backs anyone's theory or argument.

I've had my share of debates on here. A number of them I've been wrong and chose to amend my view on a topic and some of the times I've brought some of my own findings/info to the table and added something to the discussion.

I know people hate being wrong and that sucks more than anything to an intelligent person, but not everyone has all the information and no one has a patent on all ideas base on that info. In my mind it's more imperative that someone be 'correct' than popular and they are 'wrong' it's no hard feelings. You can't be right all the time, no matter how much you think you know. What's important is that you chalk it up to just having the wrong idea, wrong assumption or just plain wrong facts and move on.

I've run into some people here who just can't forgive someone for having their facts mixed up or incorrect. But for the most part I find the info/data posted on this forum to have people who are interested in genuine facts and that's more important than pride for the purpose of what we are trying to accomplish in our personal projects.

IMO, just stick with a forum that won't spare anyone's feelings and wants only good facts. I've seen very respected minds get corrected here. That shows me people have high standards on this forum for truth and facts. I would rather have a heated debate on whether the facts, theories or application of something is good or bad than have people just flaming just for the flaming. Sometimes I think I get a raw deal though, but oh well. I'll live with it so I can still be a part of having the best info/discussions available for audio applications.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Master Kan: Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand.
[Young Caine tries to do so and fails]
Master Kan: When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Being an amateur I sympathize with you guys but since I'm old (at 40) and a library/museum director I tend to "throw a book" at a subject I'm not familiar with to get up to speed and then reach out to a forum for further guidance. I was able to locate a single book a few years ago (the title escapes me but it the book was not particularly fresh when I bought it) and therein lay a significant roadblock in my usual learning process.

Though the theory and design of audio equipment fascinates me (home and mobile), personally I don't have the time to dig as deeply into the subject as I'd like and so rely on my ability to wade through posts to get at the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every minute of it or I would drive to the nearest shop, throw them the keys, and write a check. Having said that, I'd say it's high time for a fresh publication, e-book, etc. that covers the basics. "Sticky" threads work to a point but there appears to be a need for a true handbook that describes the basics of car audio.

·
Registered
Pioneer DEH-80PRS active Alpine 4.150 Satori TW29D Audio Development W600 Alpine 1.1000 JBL 12GTI
382 Posts
Yep, I see that kinda thing at the fbody boards I frequent. I generally use them for entertainment value, posting occasionally (usually pics), and keeping up with any car specific upgrades to be found(double-din dash kits, etc). Take it all with a grain of salt is the best answer. I always play the part of student as opposed to teacher anyways, but I certainly understand your frustration. I experience it more on an everyday level amongst acquaintances and co-workers. Like a kid I work with that has a regular cab pickup truck that insists he needs comps in the doors and 6x9's behind his head and 2 15's behind the seat. I have tried, even let him listen to my car to show he doesn't need the 6x9's but alas, he doesn't get it :D In the end it is his money and his truck so more power to him. :)

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
I can handle the whoring of Kicker and Hifonics crap but when they start saying a raw driver is a pos because of the price and lack of an overpriced name that's why I ask for REAL data on why thier $300 prepackaged component set is better than $300 or carefull selected raw drivers. That usually renders them speechless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts