DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going in a regular cab full size pickup. I will be going gonzo with dampening since the noise floor in a factory Dodge is pretty bad...

I want a combo to compete with and/or beat the XR Duo. I don't mind modding the interior door panels if need be, but for stealth reasons, will not be doing A-pillar mods or kick pods.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I'm going to be auditioning HAT gear tomorrow and am kinda thinking an L6/L3 combo could be interesting...

The plan is to go fully active with whatever supporting processing is needed. I haven't decided if I want to chance an MS-8 setup or jump in with both feet and get the sweet Pioneer.

Obviously, I'm looking to sidestep any dedicated subs for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Awesome! Thanks y'all! that L8 looks pretty sweet...dunno how I missed that one. I already have a 180w rms amp waiting to drive those...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Doesn't the L4 play much higher than the L3? I seem to remember reading that somewhere. Might be even better if you could fit it! Also consider the AP/H-Audio Trinities.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ecbmxer: there looks to be a lot of room under the dash in this truck, I might be able to bottom mount those. Hmmm... thanks for the pointer to the other ones, I'll go look at those.

dragonrage: 2.75" is the max stock depth. It looks like I should be able to add an inch spacer to that. There's some wild looking 4"+ depth options that I'll have to pass on, I think.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
X2 but...The L8v1 would be even better IMHO. It plays lower than it's SE cousin;) The JL ZR800 is also a good choice:DIt has big hairy ballz!
Took the words right out of my mouth. The XR3m and L8v1 would be stellar! The XR3m has a mounting depth of 1.75" which makes it a great choice for dash installation. The L8v1 is a very snappy midbass.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
If you are looking for budget get a set of Morel CAW938's F3 of 45hz in 2 cube before you add cabin gain and I can tell you that they are as nice are better than the L8SE for a lot less. The tangband bamboo 3 is a nice driver for the price although I do like the L3SE's. You could do an pioneer 800 or 880 with CAW938's, Tang Band Bamboo 3's, single 10 sub, and a 5 channel amp and have something that most would envy. The MS8 is cool but get something you can work with. Not just a tune that you are stuck with, MS8 has no control.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the input! I dusted off the testing gear last night and had a listen to a few bits I had lying around. It's become obvious that I should be focused on the widebander first and crossing from around 300Hz.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys...I'm now thinking I'd like to get the tang band bamboos and a budget 8" for the door to make sure the concept will work and test fitment.

Can anyone recommend a decent and affordable 8" midwoofer suitable for the doors? Looks like I have 3.5"-4" depth to work with. Maybe a Dayton model?

Thanks!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Silver Flute 8"?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Modelled a few drivers and it seems that the Faital Pro 8PR200 would be the better choice for your application...
IB in doors, 180 watts applied and keeping Xmax below its max with an HP filter ; the Faital Pro is a better driver than the Peerless SLS, the Scan Disco, the Silver Flute 8, the HAT L8v1, etc...
Compared to the HAT L8, it has about the same output below 80Hz and more above that point. Up to 4dB @ 200Hz and 5dB @ 300Hz...

Some will say that the Qts is too low for door applications but I've used the ID X65, which has a Qts of 0.2674, IB in doors with great success.

Kelvin

PS: please note that the Faital Pro is 8 ohm driver only... and has a mounting depth of 4.17"

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Evidence?

Please note that you need to keep Xmax under "check" for this comparo to be worth a thing...

Can I help you with anything else? :D

Kelvin

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Oh, and here I thought we were talking distortion performance, etc. I haven't seen much from Faital measured, but I haven't been impressed with the little that I've seen. Doesn't mean that the driver that you recommended is bad, but I don't think what you just posted is enough to call it a better driver than the SLS... They all look pretty similar there just with the Faital having a bit more high frequency sensitivity, not that it matters that much when it'll be crossing to a midrange/wideband... I won't say that the SLS is better in those results, but it is a proven driver with known-great bass performance and an excellent motor that even Zaph really likes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts