DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dayton SD270-88 10" Shielded DVC Subwoofer

reasons i want to change:

1. lower moving mass. my subs are mounted to the deadened rear deck, so lower mms = fewer vibrations/less rattling = purer sound?
2. more cone area. higher sd = less excursion for same volume = lower distortion = purer sound?
3. higher qts. generally a higher qts is better for IB.

the only negative i can think of is the 10" subs have a lower x-max (6mm vs 14.1mm), but i remember reading something about lower x-max woofers sounding better. i ran a quick excursion test by turning the volume up louder than normal with a bass-heavy cd, and the excursion was just under 6mm with my 9Kv.2's.

winISD plot
9Kv.2 specs
Dayton 10" specs

thoughts?

·
Registered
983 Posts
. lower moving mass. my subs are mounted to the deadened rear deck, so lower mms = fewer vibrations/less rattling = purer sound?
That's a bit too logical for my taste. I don't think you'll see any change in that department. At least not any that couldn't be significantly improved by improving your install.

Also keep in mind you have a higher Fs with the Daytons.

I think it would be a worthwhile swap... if only to get away from something made by ED.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
two 10's will be an improvement over two 8's ;)

some of JL's 8IB4's would be excellent..

Free Air Resonance (Fs): 37.5 Hz
Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.673
Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 8.484
Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.634
Equiv. Compliance (Vas): 1.80 ft³
51.0 litres
One-way, Linear Excursion: 0.34 in
(Xmax)* 8.6 mm

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dayton SD270-88 10" Shielded DVC Subwoofer

reasons i want to change:

1. lower moving mass. my subs are mounted to the deadened rear deck, so lower mms = fewer vibrations/less rattling = purer sound?
2. more cone area. higher sd = less excursion for same volume = lower distortion = purer sound?
3. higher qts. generally a higher qts is better for IB.

the only negative i can think of is the 10" subs have a lower x-max (6mm vs 14.1mm), but i remember reading something about lower x-max woofers sounding better. i ran a quick excursion test by turning the volume up louder than normal with a bass-heavy cd, and the excursion was just under 6mm with my 9Kv.2's.

winISD plot
9Kv.2 specs
Dayton 10" specs

thoughts?
I wouldn't use those Daytons for that purpose. That 6mm Xmax is a bit worrisome.

The 11Ov.2-D4s are now on sale at eD for $75. Seems like a decent price. Then there's the Image Dynamics CTX10s, with 16mm Xmax - that's double and change that of the Daytons.

Don't get too hung up on the Qts - it's the combination of Qts and Fs that determines the final IB result, and in any case it's MUCH better to have a driver that needs a little EQ than a driver that runs out of excursion too quickly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Better to have more excursion for an IB install, or you will reach peak quickly at the lower frequencies. That all depends on your goals, such as desired volume level and bass extension. Dayton makes subs specifically designed for IB, but it's a 15". That's typically the most popular size for IB installs. You could always do Dyn MW190's, which is a very nice, and proven IB install.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a bit too logical for my taste. I don't think you'll see any change in that department.
if you have less mass vibrating then fewer vibrations will be transmitted to the baffle, but i think you're right about the minimal change. i can't hear any rattling when listening to music with my current setup, so i guess i was just trying to justify buying new equipment. it sounded good when i was typing it...

I think it would be a worthwhile swap... if only to get away from something made by ED.
:rolleyes: please, don't start

some of JL's 8IB4's would be excellent..
thanks for reminding me of those. when i started this thread i was thinking that the only subs out there made for IB are 15". do you know of any other 8"-10" subs that are made for IB? those JL IB subs are hard to come by, and if I do find a pair i'm sure they'll cost more than i want to spend.

The 11Ov.2-D4s are now on sale at eD for $75. Seems like a decent price.
yeah, i got that newsletter this morning. that seems like a really good deal, but that might be too much sub for my rear deck and i don't think i want to spend that much. i'm satisfied with the 9K's, but i was just looking for some cheap 10" subs to experiment with. i guess you could say i caught the diy bug?

·
Registered
983 Posts
thanks for reminding me of those. when i started this thread i was thinking that the only subs out there made for IB are 15". do you know of any other 8"-10" subs that are made for IB? those JL IB subs are hard to come by, and if I do find a pair i'm sure they'll cost more than i want to spend.
They also make 10IB4's.

Also might want to check out an IDQ 10" - they work well IB.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They also make 10IB4's.
yup, but they ain't cheap :(

Also might want to check out an IDQ 10" - they work well IB.
i was considering those for a while when i first went IB, but i decided to go with the cheaper ID8 (aka 9Kv.2 ;)). the new IDQ10s are too expensive, but i might pick up a pair of the old ones if i come across some.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you considered Acoustic Elegance IB15 You can get them in 12" or 10" sizes. Just post on the forum on that website, or just enter it in the online order form under comments that you want the 10" car audio 4 ohm version. I'm waiting on my pair!!! $150 a piece

1 - 16 of 16 Posts