DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some of the pics from my 2005 Grand Prix.

The system specs are as follows:
Factory 6CD changer with aftermarket IPod adapter, PAC OEM LOC harness to the analog inputs on the Alpine PXA-H701. The RUX-C701 is dash mounted for easy tuning (well tuning is never easy as many of you know).
Three Xtant X604's - One running the two Dayton RSS390HF's, the other two running the front stage. There's one amp per side, the front channels are running BG Neo3's and Dayton RS52N's, the passive channels are running MB Quart 2"domes (for rear fill), and the rear channels are bridged running Dayton RS-225-8's.

I haven't installed the third amp for the subs yet, but I've never been so happy with a stereo ever. This marks my 20th DIY setup between two cars (I count each time I've had different amps and speakers together, I've changed out speakers too many times to count).

If any people in Vegas or others who are willing to stop by or whatever, you can listen anytime.

First of all, Raammat (thanks to Rick for the fast delivery and answering all of my questions, and for being a cool guy). That's six square feet of ensolite and two rolls of Raammat.

Everyone here has seen BG Neo 3's, RS52's, and RS-225s, so here are the RSS390HF's

Here's the sub plate with the two 15's, before trimming the top to fit.

In the car.

Carpeted.

Subs in. (it looks good to me, but I'll never again bottom mount something so far in my trunk, I have ruined two shirts and a pair of sweats because I got raammat all over them while climbing into my trunk)

Before anyone asks, they don't hit the back seats at all.

Amp Rack test fit

Seeing how it looks carpeted and with the amp covers on.

As of yesterday (7-29-07), I have the front stage amps hooked up (the sub amp hasn't arrived yet). My wife and I are expecting our first child in Oct.: the main goal was to finish before Oct., have a powerful yet controllable system (SQ before SPL), and have room for a stroller and 2-ball bowling bag (stroller first). I'll have more pics after my friend and I finish my door panels and a pillars. I'm not the best fabricator so I know the system doesn't look very good, but the sound so far is fantastic.
Thanks to Newtitan for selling me his RS-225-8's, they fit better than the 4ohm versions since they're .25" thinner; Rick from Raamaudio, and my friend Joe. If it wasn't for my friend Joe, I wouuld have to make all of my cuts with an old jigsaw or actually buy real power tools besides a drill.

· Registered
631 Posts
Hey there,

Glad to see everything coming together. Raammat is great stuff. I made the mistake of applying mine when we were in the middle of that 110+ degree heatwave we had a month or two ago. My hands were a sticky black horrendous mess when I was finished. The rubber was just too soft and did not want to separate very easily from the paper. I was very happy with the end result though.

I would love to hear your vehicle. I have always wanted to try an IB setup. I can bring my vehicle by and you can listen to mine as well and see what you think. :)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the kind words.
Bob, I thought of you while installing the two 15"s, I knew you were going to mention two being too much. However I figured since the flattest response for each 15" was a 9 cu. ft. enclosure, my trunk is around 18 or so, so there you have it. Remember Bob, you're my inspiration for IB; I kept looking at your install and almost purchased the IB15, but my rap-listening side always wanted two fifteens.

To jperryss, unfortunately my third Xtant hasn't showed up so I haven't hooked the subs up yet. If it isn't here by Sat, I'm going to hook up my Crossfire BMF 125.2 temporarily. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

To polkat, you have no idea how long this took (only working weekends in July, you know how hot it's been) and I forgot who first posted about febreeze cleaning raammat, but boy does it work well. I'm sure glad I didn't get the extra gooey stuff.

To Arc, I can't believe I'm somebody's hero. Thanks, I just pray the doors and a-pillars look good after they're done.

More pics coming this weekend......................... I still can't believe people like the install so far, WOW!!

· Former Installator
357 Posts
deleted.... noticed that some areas on the baffle appear to be doubled up. But I think I'd have done the whole baffle in doubled 3/4" mdf glued/screwed together. Heavier the baffle, the better...

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actually the baffle is two 3/4" sheets glued together. It only looks like one in the photos. The woofers were supposed to be mounted from the front until my friend and I realized the piece cutout for the inside diameter would only show the surround. He routered the outer edge and once we did a test fit, we figured that looked the best.
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the outer diameter was such a tight fit I hat to use my mallet (gently) to push the woofers up against the front so I could screw them in. I actually had the car sit in the garage for a week before I had time to screw them in and the woofers hadn't moved at all. Of course if I was driving.............................. oh well they're in now.

As far as the front stage is concerned, for stealth reasons I put the dayton mids in the kicks and the BG's in the a pillars. The soundstage is sitting on the dash now, but since this is DIYMobileAudio, I may try some 4"s so I can cross a little lower. When I previously had the RS-180's and my older Vifa mids, it imaged so much better when the mids were playing from 250HZ to about 4KHz, the midbasses just played midbass. I had to use a little more TA than I'd like to with the RS-225's lowpassed at 630HZ.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No the baffle is held in by liquid nails, silicone, and 12# x 1.5" screws. The bottom had no problem sitting flush by itself, but I had to use clamps for the top whil I glued and screwed it in. I still had a couple of gaps where the wires cam in, but that's what expanding foam is for. I just put the Raammat around the bottom and top for extra sealing, plus I had half a roll left over after deadening the rest of the car.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NEW UPDATE: Kicks, Horns, and new amps

First up, the Kicks:

The horns have been in for a month now; I went to CES and got to hear a few competition cars like Jim "BigRed"s truck, an all Dyn Mustang, a Great 5.1ch setup using PDX amps and Morel speakers, and ATSAubrey's 300C.
I never heard horns before and couldn't believe how high Aubrey's soundstage was. Don't get me wrong, Jim's truck sounded Excellent and I couldn't decide which I liked better, but I've had numerous conventional drivers and the only two things I hadn't tried yet were true Ribbon tweets and horns.
Here are pics of my Peerless 850490's in my kicks, they are from the same HDS line and have the same motor as the 830491's, lighter cone for better midrange but can 't go as low as the nomex coned 830491's.

Here's a pic of the center of my dash, it's also the spot where the lead singer in most songs appears from BOTH seats................no time alignment used.

More pics coming next weekend when my amp rack is finished.
Here are my new amps, JBL PX300.4 (Horns and rear fill), JBL GTO1004 (Midbasses), and JBL GTO7001 (Subs):

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.