DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I imagine this thread comes up from time to time. I did search and never really found a thread that contained more than one or two mentions of appropriate infinite baffle subwoofers.

I suspect my search issue stems from the fact that IB is a term that is too short for the search engine to recognize.

Can you guys post up woofers that you know work well? I am looking for 12" woofers in particular, however, size is irrellevant. I am hoping the next guy that searches finds this thread.

If I missed a thread completely that details this information please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Evan

EDIT; Scott Buwalda told me these are good; https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficarau...Speakers/0050_IB3/product_overview.shopscript

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've only heard Oz ME 12's (a pair) and they were fantastic but maybe thats more the pro's of an IB setup rather than the woofers?? ;)

My friend is about to try an AEIB 15" in his car once the "enclosure/baffle" is finished, very good write ups about them floating around.

Jono

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I have the OA8's in my rear deck IB'd.... they sound good... but i am not blown away by them as I thought I was going to be. Although they do sound great with certain types of music ( preferably rock, classical, some jazz, & r&b ) ... I'm not geting the low-lows with rap, alternative and pure metal.. and sometimes they do sound like just small burps. Then again they are 8 inchers and they are IB'd.

I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to stick with my good old IDQ 12" sealed. If you are going to go the IB route I don't think you could ever go wrong with Image Dynamics.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so these subs are good? lol just trying to get my reply so i can post
If your here to run up your post count to use classifieds don't bother. The mods will go back and delete all your fluff posts.

Everyone, thanks for the information. I wish I had room for the AE woofers, since they are built a few hours away I would love to stimulate the local economy. A buddy has four of those things in an IB in his house (the home version). I haven't heard it but the woofs look quite impressive.

Bumpin', sweet link.

Thanks guys!

Evan

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
If your here to run up your post count to use classifieds don't bother. The mods will go back and delete all your fluff posts.

Everyone, thanks for the information. I wish I had room for the AE woofers, since they are built a few hours away I would love to stimulate the local economy. A buddy has four of those things in an IB in his house (the home version). I haven't heard it but the woofs look quite impressive.

Bumpin', sweet link.

Thanks guys!

Evan
You can get them in 10" or 12" as well, maybe even 8 ohm coils if you need them. They build them to order so they are pretty customizable. Check out their forum and ask for details.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I suppose I had better make a phonecall. I saw everything on the site was 15/18" and assumed that was the only basket they dealt with.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
I have the OA8's in my rear deck IB'd.... they sound good... but i am not blown away by them as I thought I was going to be. Although they do sound great with certain types of music ( preferably rock, classical, some jazz, & r&b ) ... I'm not geting the low-lows with rap, alternative and pure metal.. and sometimes they do sound like just small burps. Then again they are 8 inchers and they are IB'd.

I have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to stick with my good old IDQ 12" sealed. If you are going to go the IB route I don't think you could ever go wrong with Image Dynamics.
If you want to have some fun with an IB woofer, get a MONSTER of a woofer, something just totally absurd, that requires a ginormous box. That's when the fun starts!

A few years back I tried an IB setup with four eights, and it was a totaly yawn. The problem was that they just didn't play low enough. They had an FS of 30-40HZ, and you really need something that's an octave lower. (IE, 15-20hz.)

Here's a fun one:

The driver sitting on the cone is a 7" :)

This one is expensive and would need some EQ to bring up the low end, but it sure would be fun to freak out your friends!

B&C 21SW150 is a very high power 21" subwoofer for speaker subwoofer systems- B&C 21SW150 21" Subwoofer has a lightweight neodymium magnet - B&C 21SW150 21" high power speaker for speaker subwoofer systems has an xmax of 15.0mm. B&C 21SW150 high powe

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
21" woofers? damn! lol

That is my concern too, is that the woofers won't play low enough. They worked well in scotts car so I have hope though.

Evan

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
21" woofers? damn! lol

That is my concern too, is that the woofers won't play low enough. They worked well in scotts car so I have hope though.

Evan
Infinite Baffle woofers are seriously the smartest way to go. Even though I'm running a tapped horn I totally accept that infinite baffle is a lot less hassle, and can sound VERY good. The only real drawback is that you have to dig around for woofers with a high VAS, high sensitivity, and high excursion. Basically you need a sub that requires a ginormous box.

If you use a woofer that works in a small box, you usually get a lot of distortion or run out of xmax in a hurry. (IE, don't use an eight inch woofer.)

And yes, those ARE the fifteens from diycable.com.

One cheap way to go infinite baffle is to just buy some "classic" car audio woofers off Ebay. For instance, I ran some Blue Thunder twelves in a dipole for a few months, which cost a whopping forty bucks on Ebay. Those woofers from the eighties required big boxes.

But if you're going to go that route, pick up a Dayton Audio Woofer Tester to measure the thiele small parameters.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Patrick, cool post. Thank you. I really think this has big potential. My interior is small in my car and losing trunk space is no longer an option. I also need to keep the trunk isolated from the front with a wall because I have a trunk mounted battery.

Blue thunders eh'? I had some of those in HS....

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run two Dynaudio MW190s in my rear deck and absolutely love them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts